Thread: What is a good upgrade from E-30?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default What is a good upgrade from E-30?

Hello Everyone,
    I am sure this has been discussed. Here is my current situation. I have 2 E510's as backup to my E-30. I shoot mainly friends and family, portraits, weddings, group shots of 30-40 people and events. My kids want the E-510's and if I should want another body to complement the E-30 or perhaps become my main camera, what format would you suggest? I am budget minded, and don't mind used equipment. I understand the limitations with my current bodies but have been somewhat successful for the last 7 years using them. All of my lenses and equipment are classic 4/3rds. Is there a body that is just killer and reasonably priced that would utilize my lenses and FL50's, even with the use of an adapter?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Kim
    E-30, E-510 (x's 2), 11-22, 14-42, 40-150, 14-54 (x's 2), 50, 70-300, Sigma 30, FL-50 (x's 2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: What is a good upgrade from E-30?

I would go with the E5. If the price new is too much then either used, reconditioned, or demo model. The E3 is great. In 2007 I bought a demo for $800. It was my main camera until I upgraded to the EM5. I don't use it at all anymore. I have been thinking about selling it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I didn't see the e-5 as much of an upgrade from my e-3 and e-30 and skipped it. I waited until the E-M1 firmware was upgraded to the point where legacy 4/3 lenses had good auto-focus and then purchased one. I couldn't be happier. It is a huge upgrade from the e-30 in terms of dynamic range, low light performance, and much more. At this point I only have one m4/3 lens (the 75MM f1.8) and am very happy with its performance with all my legacy 4/3 glass. I'm just as happy using it with my OM lenses. With the great viewfinder and 5x zoom capability, using manual focus lenses results in almost 100% in focus shots where with my e-30 or e-30 it was more like 50%.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Big Greg View Post
    I didn't see the e-5 as much of an upgrade from my e-3 and e-30 and skipped it. I waited until the E-M1
    Me neither. That's why I stayed with the E3. I really love the designed of the EM5. I am not going to get any new camera for quite some time. I have invested in the super fast primes and I'm really loving it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

E-5 is a step forward, as it's better in a hundred small ways, just nothing dramatic. Specific to IQ, you'll get more detail, less noise and greater dynamic range, plus a stop or two higher ISO range. Compared to the E-30 it's a little big and there's no mode dial. E-M1 is the only other realistic choice for the 4/3 lens user, and it's a solid generation or two advancement from the E-30. I own all three, FWIW.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thank you for all your input. So which unit would be the best bang for the buck in a used model? And has no production issues or common failures of hardware?
    Thanks again,
    Kim
    E-30, E-510 (x's 2), 11-22, 14-42, 40-150, 14-54 (x's 2), 50, 70-300, Sigma 30, FL-50 (x's 2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think it entirely depends on how much you want to spend. Why not check out both the E3 and E5 on www.keh.com. They are a good resource for used gear.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kfbarros View Post
    Thank you for all your input. So which unit would be the best bang for the buck in a used model? And has no production issues or common failures of hardware?
    Thanks again,
    Kim
    If you want to stay with the E-series, I'd limit your choices to a second E-30 (hard to find), E-620 (cheap) or E-5 (not cheap). I would definitely not go backwards in time to an older sensor and processor. In 4/3 your only choice is the E-M1, which can occasionally be had as a refurb for a few hundred off full price.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have an E3 with 3000 clicks and its like new, really only used it for night sky when I wanted two cameras shooting at once.. if you want it I will put it on the buy sell, I want 300 measly bucks
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kfbarros View Post
    Thanks again,
    Kim
    I skipped the E-3 and went directly from E-1 to E-5. The E-5 was the main camera I used for my business work. I sold it after I closed the business to a friend who uses it now for his work. It's a fine body and superior to the E-3 in several ways, IMO.

But nowadays I'd buy an E-M1, MMF-3, and battery grip instead. Except for very specific shooting circumstances, the E-M1 is a better performing camera than the E-30 or E-5; it makes me smile when I use it like the E-1 does.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

The E-30 came out after the E-3, and so I wouldn't go to that body. The E-5 has levelling meters and focus adjust like the E-30, with a better sensor, better AA filter, larger viewfinder than the E-30 and better processing software - and video, if that tickles your fancy. IF you want an optical view finder, it's the only one to go for. To keep best compatibility with your 4/3 lenses, it's either E-5 or E-M1 and adapter, and the E-5 is cheaper.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/