Thread: E3 - problem with deleting pictures and name of files

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default E3 - problem with deleting pictures and name of files

Hi, I have such a weird problem. My sister borrowed my E-3 and then she connected it to her macbook and deleted some pictures. Now the folder on my card has name starting with 999... usually it was 100... Another problem is, my card has 32gb and it shows me just 750 free pictures in raw mode. Usually it was aprox. 1500. The problem is when I take a photo, it is deducted from that number and when I delete this picture, number remains the same. I tried to format the card in camera and also in my computer (mac and also windows). But it is still the same.
    Can somebody give me an advice?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: E3 - problem with deleting pictures and name of files

Formatting the card in the camera SHOULD have sorted it out. The only thing I can guess at is that the Mac somehow changed the file structure from FAT32, but if it was still in the camera I can't see how that would have been possible, and certainly your sister will have hed to do something else than just delete a few files. Hmm, it might be that the Mac didn't recognise the card, and asked her to "fix" it.

If you have a card reader, plug it directly into your computer and check the file system isn't NTFS or HPF+. Or indeed FAT16, which would limit the size of the drive. As I say though, formatting (not simply deleting all) in the camera should have sorted it out.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    Formatting the card in the camera SHOULD have sorted it out. The only thing I can guess at is that the Mac somehow changed the file structure from FAT32, but if it was still in the camera I can't see how that would have been possible, and certainly your sister will have hed to do something else than just delete a few files. Hmm, it might be that the Mac didn't recognise the card, and asked her to "fix" it.

If you have a card reader, plug it directly into your computer and check the file system isn't NTFS or HPF+. Or indeed FAT16, which would limit the size of the drive. As I say though, formatting (not simply deleting all) in the camera should have sorted it out.
    OS X does not/cannot change the file structure in the card unless you format the card with Disk Utility and select a different file system, or change it yourself.
    OS X has supported read/write to FAT, FAT32, and ExFAT for quite a while now, and supports read with NTFS, as well as the native OS X file system.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    OS X does not/cannot change the file structure in the card unless you format the card with Disk Utility and select a different file system, or change it yourself.
    OS X has supported read/write to FAT, FAT32, and ExFAT for quite a while now, and supports read with NTFS, as well as the native OS X file system.

G
    I know. I was just trying to fathom out what Prettorian's sister might have done by accident.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/