Thread: Great Blue Herons & Young at the Nest

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Great Blue Herons & Young at the Nest

Got these July 3 at a Great Blue Heron rookery I found some years ago. (It still seems strange to see these huge long-legged birds nesting in the very tops of our tallest trees!) With the long lens, I was able to get far enough away to not have such an upward angle toward the nests and still get decent shots. (The last pic is of a young bird that has recently left the nest.)

I recently acquired a camo suit (no tie ) –loose mesh with tattered camo-patches hanging on. And it works quite well. I know it's different in some other parts of the country, but here they are extremely shy; you can’t get within a quarter mile of GBHs, if they see you coming. And they are easily spooked at the nests. But I hung around one for 45 minutes, moving about, trying to find different vantage points and bracing for the big lens. The birds, both adult and young, froze and stayed absolutely still –they knew something was going on, but not sure what. So, the camo will get some more use when I walk around in the local wooded areas.
    ~Ken

E-5, 300/2.8 & 2X tc. Hand-held, braced, cropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7038279 + rez.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	48285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7038261 cp rez.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	522.9 KB 
ID:	48286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7038368  + cp rez.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	48287  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kmont For This Useful Post:

caurt (09-11-2014),Edmunds (09-11-2014),LouCioccio (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Great Blue Herons & Young at the Nest

Amazing you got that close. I have the same problem here. They see me long away and fly off. I have the summer green leaf camo http://www.arcturusgear.com/arcturus-3d-leafy-suit/
    (as well as a brown leaf one, not theirs though) and it works amazingly well, but not on those herons :-P .
    But it might have to do with that I have to camo my tripod and scope as well, making a bulkier appereance, and that they land 6 meters from me (a muddy water pond) I only manage to get only one pic thanks to the autofocus of the zuio mz 75-300. They're so skittish. However small birds almost land on me several times... and too often they get within my minimum focusing distance of 5-6 meters.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Love the first one.
    We had a Great Egret land in the very top of a pine tree just about 100 meters away from our house. What he was doing there I'll never know, but it was indeed amusing to see him sitting on a branch barely big enough for a Green Finch!
    I have also thought about getting a suit. Might be a good idea.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My camo is the brown autumn colors. (I wanted to buy locally, and that's the one they stock here, for hunters.) I'm surprised it worked as well as it did, because I was in the green woods. Thanks, caurt, for the link and images of those camo outfits --they appear to be very good, indeed.
    ~Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have sort of toyed with the idea of getting one of these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/548...tree-xtra-camo
    one used here
    http://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-u...?adId=93547002
    Bloody things cost here twice what they cost in the US, + shipping

but maybe a suit makes more sense for mobility. Carlos, where did you get yours? Cost?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

GBH's are funny here, some take off the second they spot you, others let you get real close, I guess its a matter of how much human interaction they have had.. I know on the kayak some let me float right up close, way closer than I could on land, but still some fly off a half mile away when they see it coming.. Great Egrets seem to be the same way
    by the way I bought one of those camo mesh cloths, its like 4 feet wider by 12 feet long or something for like 15 bucks, I had planned on using it for covering the kayak with a slit for my head and arms while I sit in a mudflat or marsh in it, but never did that, but it is very light and can be folded up and put in a fanny pack, so now I use it in the field if I find a good spot I just wrap it around me its mesh so air gets thru to keep you cool, and also keeps the skeeters from getting you.. I have had birds fly right up using it even wood ducks which here want no part of people
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Carlos, where did you get yours? Cost?
    Got mine here, the summer green one. But a warning though - the green is not the pictures kind of green, but a more artificial one - As a human you react a bit, it's not really natural green, but the birdies don't seem to care though.
    http://www.camoadvantage.com/3d-leaf-suits/

the brown/fall leaf here http://www.engelsons.se/lov-camou-set-wildtree-10066
    I have 1 pair of camo leaf pants tread over the scope and the front leg of the tripod as well. Light and mobile.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

"by the way I bought one of those camo mesh cloths"
    Details? Where did you get it?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

the 2nd shot the bird on the left, with a direct view under the chin, show just how well these birds are designed for fishing.
    eyeballs full open
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." —John Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    the 2nd shot the bird on the left, with a direct view under the chin, show just how well these birds are designed for fishing.
    eyeballs full open
    Yes, they have binocular vision wherever they look, this in prep for that arrowed thrust. Pretty amazing!
    ~Ken