Thread: E-5 "Resetting" Issue

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default E-5 "Resetting" Issue

I have developed a slight issue with my E-5 that drives me a bit crazy at times. I shoot almost entirely in A-priority mode.

What happens is that when I power up the camera, I may have it set at a certain aperture, exposure comp and ISO setting. Let's say I am out on a hike. If I change the settings, it works for a burst of shots at those new settings, but if I walk a bit further, then set up to shoot, my settings have all reverted back to the original boot-up settings. This is especially true if I have not pressed the shutter button a half press to lock the new settings at least once before I shoot at the new settings.

Sometimes, it will revert back even if I have taken a few shots at the new settings, but it will INVARIABLY revert back if I have changed settings in anticipation of a new shot and I have not shot at the new settings (ie: waiting for a BIF) . If I change settings, then immediately manually power off the camera and power it back on with the new settings in place, then it will usually hold, but not always.

Could this be a problem with dirty contacts (battery grip, lens, or TC)? It happens with every lens combination, and every xcomp/A/ISO setting.

Interestingly, I sometimes had/have this issue with the old E-3, but not nearly to this extent

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-5 "Resetting" Issue

Leigh,
    There have certainly been many reports of weird things happening due to battery grip contact problems, and not just with Olympus cameras. I would look there first. Easy enough to take it off and see if the camera still acts up. A hard/factory reset might be the next step if the battery grip is not the culprit.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

As Daniel said - its the grip contacts. It happens very often to me when the temperature is going down towards 0 C. Nowadays, it is second nature for me to switch off after I have made a setting that I want to use.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jebir For This Useful Post:

dh202 (12-10-2014),ken610 (12-11-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Shoot in manual and you won't have that problem. I bought my E-5 and grip when they first came out and have never had any issues with the grip contacts. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    As Daniel said - its the grip contacts. It happens very often to me when the temperature is going down towards 0 C. Nowadays, it is second nature for me to switch off after I have made a setting that I want to use.
    It's the grip. I had 2 with my E-3 and both did that.