Thread: Great Horned Owl in the Window of a Haunted --er, Homestead-- House

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile Great Horned Owl in the Window of a Haunted --er, Homestead-- House

Got these shots a couple of months ago, but they seem more appropriate for Halloween. I barely was able to notice the owl in old homestead window from about a half mile away (the first pic of that scene is at 24X with the 300/2.8 & 2X tc). Background is hazy, smokey from forest fires out West that day.
    I got permission and walked across the prairie to the house --and was amazed that the big Great Horned Owl let me peek around the side and start taking photos. This continued for 15 minutes, using the E-5 & 150/2.0 (and with time to change teleconverters). Hope you enjoy the pics a tiny bit as much as I did the experience of getting them!
    ~Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048611 OlyV rez.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	48469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048627 rez.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	48470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048639-2 + rez.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	48471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048668-2 rez.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	48472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048673-2 + rez.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	48473  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048727 rez.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	48474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8048783-5 + rez.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	48475  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kmont For This Useful Post:

Edmunds (10-31-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Great Horned Owl in the Window of a Haunted --er, Homestead-- House

Those are absolutely wonderful Ken!! So lucky to be there

Thanks
    Feedback Score

What a treat you had!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Very cool, love the one where he is peeking around the side at you.. bet he found lost of mice in that house and decided it was a good place to move in
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink Re: Great Horned Owl in the Window of a Haunted --er, Homestead-- House

Thanks, all. It was a great time, since I expected the owl to fly at first sight, as usual. (Most of my owl pics have been taken from a blind.) Very surprised when it didn't.
    Adding another pic... Imagine that hanging inside the house was this old photo of the owl's great great great great grandpappy.

Name:	P8048783-4 + rez copy.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	48483  

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My favorite is the second one, the first of the closeups. I like the angle and the look on his face.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nice work on Grandpappy Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A very interesting post Ken. I bet you were crossing your fingers he would still be there as you crossed the open ground! Maybe he liked some company
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It sounds like he moved in out of sight of the owl. Smart. Always good to either move very slowly straight toward the subject, or get something in between, like a tree trunk. Better still to get out of sight completely and then VERY slowly move into view.
    Some birds are more trusting than others. I remember being able to stand right under the apple tree where "our" Great Horned Owl hung out one summer. They had a nest high up in a pine tree right off our bedroom, and Mama would spend the day up there. But Papa just sat on the same branch all summer, not more than 5 or 6 meters up.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, everyone; glad you find the pics to be of interest.
    Daniel, I posted the pics in the order they were taken but, judging from your remark above about the second one being a close-up, they didn't come out that way for all viewers. The two closeups were last in my preview and posting.

I did approach the house from the side, so just peeked around the corner at first, expecting to get maybe one or two shots, like this one of her preening. Getting dozens of shots is all the more surprising in our part of the country, where almost all the wildlife is very easily spooked. (--Even robins! Except for the domesticated ones raised in towns, the ones in the country fly off when a vehicle even just slows down. If you want a challenge, try our robins! I know it sounds crazy, but true.)
    ~Ken

Name:	P8048622 cp-2 rez.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	48490  

Thanks
    Feedback Score

By closeups I simply meant the ones that were not taken from the original standpoint.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Daniel, Gotcha. Thanks.
    ~Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kmont View Post
    Thanks, everyone; glad you find the pics to be of interest.
    Daniel, I posted the pics in the order they were taken but, judging from your remark above about the second one being a close-up, they didn't come out that way for all viewers. The two closeups were last in my preview and posting.

I did approach the house from the side, so just peeked around the corner at first, expecting to get maybe one or two shots, like this one of her preening. Getting dozens of shots is all the more surprising in our part of the country, where almost all the wildlife is very easily spooked. (--Even robins! Except for the domesticated ones raised in towns, the ones in the country fly off when a vehicle even just slows down. If you want a challenge, try our robins! I know it sounds crazy, but true.)
    ~Ken
    its the same here Ken, Robins in spring time in the yard fairly tame, but once they are done breeding they take off the minute I walk out there or if I see them in the field..
    Owls I have had it both ways, some dont seem concerned at all, my problme is the crows and jays chase em off.. Maybe yours stayed put because it didn't have any cover close by, and figured easier to feel you out first before taking for the hills
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Jim, It's interesting to hear of birds in your setting. From place to place, there are some universals, but also some regional differences, and also individual personalities/tolerances of this or that bird, at least to a certain extent. It's something that has always interested me.
    ~Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kmont View Post
    Jim, It's interesting to hear of birds in your setting. From place to place, there are some universals, but also some regional differences, and also individual personalities/tolerances of this or that bird, at least to a certain extent. It's something that has always interested me.
    ~Ken
    yes and even some of the same species are totally different thna others here, Some Great Blue herons will sit and let me get pretty close on the kayak, while others are off the second they see me, cormorants the same way.. and the Bald eagles.. some dont seem to care and I paddle right up others I just look at em and off they go.. I guess it all depends on how much they are used to people from where ever they travel.. I have a lot of barred owls around my house but I can hardly get to see them let alone get a shot of one..
    My neighbor walks down the road and comes and tells me one is sitting on a foot bridge over the creek at my neighbors house a few feet off the road in nice AM sun and she stood there and watched it for 10 minutes and told me when she got back.. I grabbed the camera and went down, it saw me from a hundred yards away and took off

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    yes and even some of the same species are totally different thna others here, Some Great Blue herons will sit and let me get pretty close on the kayak, while others are off the second they see me, cormorants the same way.. and the Bald eagles.. some dont seem to care and I paddle right up others I just look at em and off they go.. I guess it all depends on how much they are used to people from where ever they travel.. I have a lot of barred owls around my house but I can hardly get to see them let alone get a shot of one..
    My neighbor walks down the road and comes and tells me one is sitting on a foot bridge over the creek at my neighbors house a few feet off the road in nice AM sun and she stood there and watched it for 10 minutes and told me when she got back.. I grabbed the camera and went down, it saw me from a hundred yards away and took off
    That last instance is pretty amazing, illustrating how fickle wildlife --not just people-- can be.
    ~Ken