Thread: Sony cameras with 5 axis stabilization

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Sony cameras with 5 axis stabilization

It looks like Sony has acquired Olympus 5-axis IBIS, and it will be featured in their new full frame A7 II camera.

This is certainly an interesting development, as 5 axis IBIS was one of Olympus great sales points. What are the chances of Sony coming up with this on their own? If it is Olympus tech, what is Olympus getting in return, a new crop of sensors, video tech?
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Re: Sony cameras with 5 axis stabilization

Sony bought into Olympus back when Olympus was struggling so they are sort of in bed together. I think Olympus is going to make lenses for Sony at some point and Sony is putting sensors in the Olympus cameras. That's why you seen a nice increase in Olympus DXO marks when the E-M5 came about.
    I really wasn't thrilled about this as stabilized Sony lenses work fine. So now it's going to be a whole new set of Waffle House engineers screaming "shutter shock". If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus with the noise control at high ISO I really think IS is getting to the point it's not needed. But maybe the bugs are worked out of it now.
    If the price of the a7II holds true to it will be one less reason to stick it out with Olympus. It will boil down to crop factor, lens selection and ergonomics I suppose.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cosmonaut For This Useful Post:

James Pilcher (11-30-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    It looks like Sony has acquired Olympus 5-axis IBIS, and it will be featured in their new full frame A7 II camera.

This is certainly an interesting development, as 5 axis IBIS was one of Olympus great sales points. What are the chances of Sony coming up with this on their own? If it is Olympus tech, what is Olympus getting in return, a new crop of sensors, video tech?
    Yes.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I love Olympus's forward thinking and inventiveness. I remember when I bought the E330 the press were saying that live view and an articulating screen were gimmicks, but I loved it and used it. In fact I bought into Olympus because of those features as I had a bad back. To this day I use live view and the articulating screen on my e5.
    Then the mirrorless concept. Now even Phase One are roumered to be going that way.
    To my mind Sony are no fools and have bought into a fantastic think tank and Olympus now have a 'partner' who make the sensors so with their combined strengths things could get very interesting indeed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Might there be an adapter to use M.Zuiko lenses with the A7II ??
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Roberts View Post
    I love Olympus's forward thinking and inventiveness. I remember when I bought the E330 the press were saying that live view and an articulating screen were gimmicks, but I loved it and used it. In fact I bought into Olympus because of those features as I had a bad back. To this day I use live view and the articulating screen on my e5.
    Then the mirrorless concept. Now even Phase One are roumered to be going that way.
    To my mind Sony are no fools and have bought into a fantastic think tank and Olympus now have a 'partner' who make the sensors so with their combined strengths things could get very interesting indeed.
    The reason I first tried Olympus was because they thought outside the box. Nikon and Canon, also Leica have been slow to advance as not to scare their faithful off. But slowly they test the water, focus peaking, articulating screens ect. But God would send the locus if Leica ever made an AF M body or Nikon a full frame with an EVF. The reason I went to Sony? I felt abandoned by Olympus and wasn't totally satisfied with the performance of the m4/3rd bodies and Sony thinks outside the box ignoring what others do. They consistently do what others say can't be done.
    Even though I own a a7r I still use my a99 for the most part. I also think great things could come from the partnership.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The ultimate problem with full frame is the size, weight and cost of longer lenses (well, as far as cost goes, its a problem with all lenses). Even something as simple as a 70-200mm f/4 is incomparably larger than the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8, and given the Panasonic is a stop faster, the full frame advantage starts fading fast.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.392,289.366,ha,t

I realize for some people coming from DSLRs (even Olympus) that lens may still be smaller than what they are used to, but there's no way I'm going back to the DSLR sizes, for me this is a one way street to smaller and smaller equipment.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post

It an interesting development to me because I have a Sony A7 that I use as a digital body for my Leica R lenses. If the new model has good IS, if the new grip and shutter release improve the ergonomics, and the camera has lost no DR, sensitivity, etc, then the A7II will be an even better body for my R lenses.

What Sony got from Olympus ... Not important to me. I thought it had been well established that the E-M1 sensor was actually a Panasonic sensor now? I dunno. I rarely find speculating about corporate shenanigans of much interest. I'm interested in the products they offer, that's all.

G

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

James Pilcher (11-22-2014)