Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympus Service Doesn't Get the Job Done?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Olympus Service Doesn't Get the Job Done?

I recently sent in my E-30 for mode dial and sensor issues, and my 70-300mm f/4.0 for focusing issues. Got everything back in short order, reset the camera settings, and thought all was good. I haven't had a chance to try out the repairs until today, and to my dismay the camera will not focus with the 70-300 lens. On the short end, the lens tries to focus, but the camera does not indicate that it has focused. Fully extended it will focus.

I tried a few test shots, and it is cloudy and rainy today. There is excessive noise in one shot taken at 640, ISO 200. Have I missed something in my camera settings, or did Olympus Service/Repair make things worse? This, it goes without saying, is incredibly frustrating.
    Diana

"Art must always follow nature and never oppose it."

http://www.resurrectionfarmphotography.com/
    (Website on hiatus until I am settled permanently once again)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus Service Doesn't Get the Job Done?

They probably reset the camera to manufacturer settings. Did you have any custom settings you may have changed a long time ago?
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I bought the camera used, and the previous owner's settings suited me pretty well. Olympus did reset it, so I went to Wrotniak's page on E-30 settings and followed his guidelines. There may be some more tweaking as I go (this is probably the most complex camera I've owned to date), as I'm still learning. After I posted my original question above, I went into the Lens Data window, and saw that only my 50-200 was listed. Could that have been part of it? I added the 70-300, which seems to have helped somewhat, but images are still noisy and soft.
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, try setting noise and sharpness settings to zero, and try taking pictures of a stationary object on a tripod with a 2sec shutter delay. Also, if you have other lenses, try taking the pictures with those to see if this is a problem with all lenses, or just that one lens.

If you still have soft pictures with the camera on a tripod and a 2sec shutter delay, and all the sharpness/noise settings are normal, then I don't know.

Also, do note that maybe the noise reduction was actually turned on quite high, so now that it's actually zero you're seeing grain you didn't see before.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I took the camera/lens to the farm with me the other day. It absolutely will not focus at less than 150mm. At 70mm it acts like a macro - focusing on objects just a few feet away. Trees or fences in the distance - no go. Noise and sharpness settings are 0, lens data is stored in the camera, so at this point I've called Olympus. She asked me could I send examples of the pictures it's taking, and I said that wasn't possible since the camera won't fire if it's not in focus. It won't focus on Manual either, so now I'm waiting to talk to their troubleshooters next week. At this point, I'm pretty sure something went wrong with the repairs, as my 50-200mm works just fine.
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score

"I'm pretty sure something went wrong with the repairs"....sounds like. Doesm't sound like a setting issue to me. Maybe they didn't even test it after they "fixed" it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I tend to agree with you. When the lens acts like a macro at the short (70mm) end, and focuses on something 10 feet away, then acts like a telephoto lens from 150mm and up, well, it's worse than when I sent it in for "repairs". If this is how they fix things, I think I'll just keep my 50-200mm lens at home. It will be interesting to see what the "troubleshooters" try to tell me.
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thumbs down Olympus repair is hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Ddaside88 View Post
    I recently sent in my E-30 for mode dial and sensor issues, and my 70-300mm f/4.0 for focusing issues. Got everything back in short order, reset the camera settings, and thought all was good. I haven't had a chance to try out the repairs until today, and to my dismay the camera will not focus with the 70-300 lens. On the short end, the lens tries to focus, but the camera does not indicate that it has focused. Fully extended it will focus.

I tried a few test shots, and it is cloudy and rainy today. There is excessive noise in one shot taken at 640, ISO 200. Have I missed something in my camera settings, or did Olympus Service/Repair make things worse? This, it goes without saying, is incredibly frustrating.
    I'm going to make a very strong statement here: Olympus America repair is absolutely horrible and useless. I had my E-5 into Olympus five times in 2011 and I was eventually told they could not resolve AF issues on two separate bodies! Olympus actually gave up instead of persevering to resolve the issue. This year I have had my E-P5 in three times since mid-August for two different issues. Neither problem was corrected properly nor permanently. It has now failed for the fourth time in three months. Last Tuesday I mailed my E-P5 body unsolicited to the president of Olympus America, Karl Watanabe, and told him to keep it.

Don't bother with Olympus America repair. If you have an issue, you are better off buying a replacement piece of kit. I have essentially been without my 4/3 body since August, and it failed at the very beginning of this extended trip. I'm left without a primary camera unless I order one delivered to my vacation home. My Lumix LX7 is a fine backup, but it's not 4/3 quality by any stretch of reason.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus repair is hopeless

That is quite discouraging, Jim. As of right now, I'm still waiting to hear back from Olympus, will probably end up calling them. Did they ever try to make it right with you?
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ddaside88 View Post
    That is quite discouraging, Jim. As of right now, I'm still waiting to hear back from Olympus, will probably end up calling them. Did they ever try to make it right with you?
    The first three trips this year, "making it right" was to return a defective repair. As far as this fourth trip, it has been six days since I mailed the camera to Karl Watanabe, and no one has contacted me. It should have arrived at Olympus on Friday or Saturday via insured USPS Priority mail. Since I told Mr. Watanabe to "keep it," I will not be completely surprised if I hear nothing. I asked for nothing, I just sent it to him with a description of my adventure with Olympus since August.

In 2011, Olympus eventually bought back the E-5, even though I had purchased it locally in Denver. I made such a public stink about the entire episode on dpReview that Olympus actually offered a refund in return for dropping the issue publicly. I sold all my 4/3 lenses & gear and went into 4/3, swearing that I would only purchase relatively cheap bodies so I would not have to put up with incompetent repairs. Then I went against my own resolution by getting this E-P5 body; the features were just too alluring.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix A from B&H today; $499! It will be here Wednesday. I'm going to take a long hard look at what APS-C and maybe even FF have to offer in 2014/2015. My only serious digital cameras have been Olympus 4/3, beginning when I switched over from film in June, 2004. I don't know where Olympus sits in my future right now. I'm not necessarily going to depart, but this experience is resulting in the Coolpix A purchase and my looking at serious alternatives in larger sensors.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Since so many of you took the time to respond to my post, an update seemed like a good thing. I called Olympus, got through to a Tech, who wanted me to have the camera and lens handy as we talked. It wasn't with me at that moment, so he said he would call back. After two plus weeks of leaving him daily messages, I finally got through, and he asked me to send him the lens, and sample images from the E-30. I did both, and that was over two weeks ago. So far, there is no resolution to the lens issues, and while the E-30 performs very nicely in full sunlight with the EC-14 and 50-200mm lens, low light shooting is still not worth the effort.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who tends to have product loyalty, and put up with maybe more than I should. I've seen some incredible images from one photographer (who shoots Irish horse racing and other equine events) with an older Nikon and fast 300mm lens. Verrrrrrryyyyy tempting to make a jump.
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Brand loyalty is fine, but if someone else makes something that will work better, go for it!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's disturbing to hear when people have so many issues with a company's products and service. I don't know the explanation for it, but it's at odds with my own experience with Olympus products and service. I've had very few things that required I deal with Olympus USA Service, and they've been very responsive on the few occasions when I did need to deal with them. The service I needed was handled expediently and correctly each time.

That said, I have little brand loyalty. I use a variety of different equipment. The only nod to brand loyalty I make is that if I do need service and the company is difficult to deal with, I'll tend to buy some other company's equipment the next time around.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have actually found the Olympus service here in Europe to be outstanding. Communication is very good and they really make an effort to please their customers. Can only speak for the service center in Perov, Czech Republic though, as they are responsible for the German speaking part of Europe.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm very sorry to hear about the problems of James and Diana with Olympus gear and service. I have collected around 6 bodies in recent years and not a problem with any. The one time I had to send a lens back to fix (lens bashed askew by a running dog), the repair was quick and efficient. Lucky me, I wish they had the same experience.
    I agree with Godfrey and Daniel that brand loyalty makes little sense these days. Lets face it, cameras are now a consumer product with fast redesign and obsolescence, which we sadly embrace! We just bought a state of the art Panasonic TV, with an extended warranty. The salesman said they won't bother to repair if it craps out, they just replace it with a new one whatever is wrong, and this is stated on the document! Digital cameras are rapidly becoming similar.
    Cheers,
    Don

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Baldwinson For This Useful Post:

dh202 (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have owned and used multiples of E510, E30, E620, E3 and E5 models and never had to return one. Same story for the FL36 and FL50 flashes. All three of my EM5 bodies need to go back but I will not put myself through the aggravation. Oh, one on my Fl600r flashes blew up! That one went back. I repurchased two FL50's. I really like my new Olympus equipment and I will stick with it but I do think the quality is slipping. BTW, I had four shooters on staff including myself....lots of use...no problems. Now there is only me....micro 4/3....low usage....problems.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Currently owning the E-330, the E-520, the E-3, and 4 of the digital Zuiko lens, plus the 35mm OM-2 and 5 of the old 35mm system lens, I have only had to use Olympus America service just once. Last year my 12-60mm lens started acting up. I received quick and efficient service for a flat rate quoted in advance. The lens was fixed and returned to me in like-new condition. The whole process took approximately two weeks. I'm sorry to hear of such problems with other owners, but I can only say my personal experience was good.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had to send my E-M1 in for repair, and other than it taking a long time, it was returned in perfect condition. After having purchased every top of the line Olympus camera since they started making digital DSLRs, this is the only time I needed a camera repaired.

I have always admired the Olympus engineering. However, I was disappointed there wasn't a E-7 release. I like the E-M1, but never really got used to the electronic viewfinder the light weight, and the menu system..

I recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark III system, and my E-M1 is now backup for the Canon. I am considering selling all my Olympus equipment and purchase another 5D Mark III so I don't have to think about the E-M1 menu which I never really felt comfortable with.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I had to send my E-M1 in for repair, and other than it taking a long time, it was returned in perfect condition. After having purchased every top of the line Olympus camera since they started making digital DSLRs, this is the only time I needed a camera repaired.

I have always admired the Olympus engineering. However, I was disappointed there wasn't a E-7 release. I like the E-M1, but never really got used to the electronic viewfinder the light weight, and the menu system..

I recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark III system, and my E-M1 is now backup for the Canon. I am considering selling all my Olympus equipment and purchase another 5D Mark III so I don't have to think about the E-M1 menu which I never really felt comfortable with.
    Your loss would be a sad day for the forum Lawrence. Please hang onto one body and a lens to keep in touch
    Cheers,
    Don

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Baldwinson For This Useful Post:

dh202 (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The fact that some people never have problems with their gear, or with Olympus Repair Services is really irrelevant. Some people do have legitimate grievances , some don't!
    Fact is the Oly repair service is not the same as it used to be, it is farmed out to a private firm now. Sometimes a problem is not diagnosed properly, sometimes the individual tech person who performs the work is unable to see what could possibly be a intermittent problem, sometime the tech person is flat out unqualified. Sometimes there is miscommunication as far as how the problem is explained by the owner of the gear and how the tech person understands it. Sometimes there is no real problem ,it's just user error.
    I've Been there, done that, in another lifetime...

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

In my experience, service with any firm has always been 90% consistent, 10% inconsistent. I don't think that's changed much in recent years.

G

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    The fact that some people never have problems with their gear, or with Olympus Repair Services is really irrelevant. Some people do have legitimate grievances , some don't!
    Fact is the Oly repair service is not the same as it used to be, it is farmed out to a private firm now. Sometimes a problem is not diagnosed properly, sometimes the individual tech person who performs the work is unable to see what could possibly be a intermittent problem, sometime the tech person is flat out unqualified. Sometimes there is miscommunication as far as how the problem is explained by the owner of the gear and how the tech person understands it. Sometimes there is no real problem ,it's just user error.
    I've Been there, done that, in another lifetime...

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Your loss would be a sad day for the forum Lawrence. Please hang onto one body and a lens to keep in touch
    Cheers,
    Don
    Hi Don,

This forum is the one thing holding me back from selling all my Olympus gear. I would miss this forum more than I would miss my cameras.

I actually did sell all my older Olympus cameras. I am left now with just my E-M1, my lenses, and two
    FL50 flash units.

The thing I keep thinking about is if I sold the rest of my Olympus gear I could purchase another Canon 5D Mark III to use as a backup. This way I wouldn't have to keep two menu systems straight in my mind.

I think I have been on this forum almost since the day it was started. I remember working with Tony, and I even wrote a weekly Photoshop Tip section on this forum for about a year. Boy, that was a long time ago.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lkeeney For This Useful Post:

dh202 (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've done some window shopping at other makes, but can't quite make the jump. I seem to be in the unfortunate 10% with unsatisfactory results in the repair department. Still leaving daily messages, and if I call the main number and ask for a supervisor, I'm told, "Well, I see so-and-so is handling this case" and get nowhere. I feel like my 70-300 has fallen into a black hole, never to be seen again.
    Diana

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Diana,
    Sorry to hear about this,
    Use this contact form and complain, and complain, and complain!!
    Maybe you will get someones attention in the 'Motherland'
    https://support.olympus.co.jp/cf_sec...=ProDigitalSLR

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's worth a try, can't be any more fruitless than my efforts over the last two months. Thanks, David.
    Diana