Thread: Thinking about selling some gear

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Thinking about selling some gear

This isn't an offer to sell anything specific but I am thinking about selling some of my Four Thirds gear so that I can reallocate some of the money I have tied up in it. If anyone has recently sold any Four Thirds cameras and/or lenses recently what was your experience. How easy was it to sell and did you get what you felt was a fair price for it. I just have a lot of Four Thirds and OM gear that I haven't been using lately and I could probably put the money invested to better use.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Thinking about selling some gear

I have been in a quandary about the same issue.
    Except for a few of the more exotic kit, OM gear is about worthless any more, just look at the listings on Ebay.

4/3rds gear is typically going for 1/2 new price on lenses, and much less, 1/3 to 1/4 new price on bodies older than the E-5.
    I decided that it just isn't worth selling unless your really never going to use the stuff again, or really need to raise cash.
    Lenses (especially the SHGs), are still worth more to me than losing half of what I paid for them. I will use them on the E-M1 or whatever comes after that since they are so good.
    The amount of 4/3rds listings on the Buy /Sell forum have about dried up and some just wont sell at all. Selling on Ebay is a big loss, as is trading in to a shop, unless you just want to get some $ back and really don't care how much.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I just sold my E-3, E-5, and the grips. KEH had a group of their people come to two different camera stores in Las Vegas for two days where they purchase used camera equipment from anyone who wanted to sell their cameras. The lines were very long and we had to wait a long time to get to speak with one of their people.

I'm sure I got a lot less than if I sold it to a private person, but they made it so easy that I could not resist selling it to them. They gave me a check on the spot for the price they offered me.

I ended up keeping my E-M1 and all my lenses as backup for my new Canon 5DMarkIII camera.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I sold my 4/3 gear in early 2013, and even then, at the end of it all, I was left wondering if there even was a point in doing it.

If you own SHG lenses, you can probably still raise a fair bit of money from them. Those SHG lenses are going to continue steadily dropping in price. Once the m4/3 40-150mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4 and 7-14 /f2.8 come out, and more importantly, a year or two after they start to get discounted and start appearing used on ebay, those SHG are probably going to see major decreases in price.

The HG and SG lenses, on the other hand, appear to have already reached rock bottom. The only one that appears to be holding its value somewhat is the 50-200mm SWD. The last 12-60 sold on ebay for $315 - take away 3% for paypal, 10% ebay fees, you are left with about $270. The 14-54 has sold for as low as $120. The 11-22 for about $250. The 70-300 about $180-$200.

4/3 bodies are going to continue dropping in price as is the case for all old cameras.

Prices of OM gear have not reached rock bottom, but the rock bottom of the seven seas. Unless you have some gems, like the 50mm f/1.2 or the 90mm macro, selling all of your OM gear can probably buy you a nice dinner for two.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I sold all of my Pen and most of my OM and 4/3 gear to KEH through its web site. Very convenient and the prices were fair. KEH grades equipment strictly, so you may be offered less (or more) than the original estimate, but they contact you first in either case.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm planning a radical gear reduction... I've accreted too much. But I'll keep my E-1 and its lenses: 11-22, 35 Macro, 50-200, EC-14. No real point to selling it.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I have mostly SG lenses, so to me it has not seemed worthwhile to sell my old 4/3 equipment. If I ever get a m4/3 camera I might have a use for the lenses, and even now I sometimes use my Oly equipment for "grunt" projects where I don't want to use up all my shutter counts on my more modern equipment. For example, shooting 400 pages of some old historical document that someone donated to the museum I volunteer at. Using a low ISO, tripod, and either 14-54 or 35mm lens, the E-520 works just fine. This is kind of a specialized activity, of course, but you never know...
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:

dh202 (12-16-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks to all for the feedback. I don't own any of the SHG lenses but do have some lenses that were hard to find like the 105mm, 150mm, and 50-500mm Sigma, the 25mm Panasonic/Leica lens, and some of the OM close up lenses and accessories. I have pretty much a full set of the SG and HG lenses. KEH has been at the local camera shop a couple of times. maybe I will just wait until they come back.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As someone else said, KEH is not only very reliable but they make the process painless. just remember they will give you what they consider a fair price for them to be able to resell the gear at a profit not what you might think it's actually worth or what they list it for. Dealer price as opposed to a private sale.