Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My new photographic career

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default My new photographic career

    As many of you may know, I am abandoning Olympus after shooting with my first Olympus E-10 almost 15 years ago.

    I recently got involved with a local ballet company and with all the problems I had with my E-M1 when trying to photograph a local Miss America contest, I decided to upgrade my camera system. I purchase a Canon 5DMark III with the 24-70 and 70-200 lenses.

    Just before Christmas I photographed three different performances of the Nutcracker Suite Ballet. I was positioned in the center of the very back row of a 250 seat theater. I had to stand and hold the camera with the 70-200mm (about 5 pounds) lens up to my eye for 2 hours.

    Here is one of the shots I got, and I am having a ball in my old age.

    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to lkeeney For This Useful Post:

    dh202 (01-21-2015)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Good luck in your endeavors, Lawrence. And remember:
    The photos you create are far more important than what camera you use.

    onwards,
    G

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    2,592
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Nice shot, Lawrence, and your new career sounds like a fun time. On a practical note, have you thought about using a monopod for situations as you described - standing up holding a heavy lens for hours? I think that is one reason all those photogs at football games use monopods - they take very little additional room and support your camera. I think any added stability is only a very secondary reason in these cases.

    I just noticed that you are in Southern Nevada. I'm jealous - such a photogenic area! - all those "national parks on steroids"!
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Good luck in your endeavors, Lawrence. And remember:
    The photos you create are far more important than what camera you use.

    onwards,
    G
    Thanks Godfrey,

    You are right about the camera. I don't know why, but I feel guilty about leaving Olympus.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Nice shot, Lawrence, and your new career sounds like a fun time. On a practical note, have you thought about using a monopod for situations as you described - standing up holding a heavy lens for hours? I think that is one reason all those photogs at football games use monopods - they take very little additional room and support your camera. I think any added stability is only a very secondary reason in these cases.

    I just noticed that you are in Southern Nevada. I'm jealous - such a photogenic area! - all those "national parks on steroids"!
    I took my tripod with me to the first event, but there just wasn't room to use it. I do have a nice monopod, and I don't know why I didn't think to use it on the second two performances. I will certainly use it on the next event in June.

    As for the national parks around here, I have been to all of them but I don't have much interest in photographing them. I did get a job where I had to photograph a woman and her motorcycle, and she wanted it done in one of the national parks. I guess I just like photographing people. It is not that I haven't photographed the parks, it is just that I have never gone back and looked at any of the images from these shoots.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Comox Bristish Columbia
    Posts
    3,222
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    Thanks Godfrey,

    You are right about the camera. I don't know why, but I feel guilty about leaving Olympus.
    I'm getting over my mild case of guilt. When you can shoot pictures like that you don't need to second guess your move to new gear. In the end it's all about being comfortable with your equipment and take comfort that it's not going to get in the way. The monopod might help with that part too. It's all about the images, but you do need the gear to get them.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

    e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    I'm getting over my mild case of guilt. When you can shoot pictures like that you don't need to second guess your move to new gear. In the end it's all about being comfortable with your equipment and take comfort that it's not going to get in the way. The monopod might help with that part too. It's all about the images, but you do need the gear to get them.
    I'm sure I will get over the guilt feeling too. My new camera makes me feel like I did when I first got my new E1.
    Last edited by lkeeney; 01-26-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,278
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Well Canon certainly makes some awesome lenses. I recently picked up the Nikon D4s, which seems lighter than the D800, and I love it. All camera systems have their drawbacks it's the person behind the camera and their ability to over come those drawbacks. Enjoy.


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    I hope you visit and let us know what is happening! I have really enjoying reading your posts.

    JoJo

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    The camera is only a tool, you are the craftsman. If one tool doesn't work, you find one that will do the job.
    No guilt allowed.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach



    Jim
    Visit me at:

    www.hillbilly-photo.com

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Flinchbaugh For This Useful Post:

    dh202 (02-01-2015)

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    Well Canon certainly makes some awesome lenses. I recently picked up the Nikon D4s, which seems lighter than the D800, and I love it. All camera systems have their drawbacks it's the person behind the camera and their ability to over come those drawbacks. Enjoy.
    For the fast action shots I have been taking under low light conditions, the E-M1 just would not capture the images. When I happen to pick up the Canon 5D mark III at a trade show I took a bunch of shots and could immediately tell fast accurate focus on this camera was what I needed. I recently shot 3 ballet performances for a total of about 2600 photos, and I don't think I had more than about 5 shots that I had to delete because the camera did not capture the jump shots.

    I do have to say that I was using the old 50-200mm lens with my E-M1 which may not have been the best combination for this type of work, However, I think you have to have the right camera for the specific job you are shooting.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    The camera is only a tool, you are the craftsman. If one tool doesn't work, you find one that will do the job.
    No guilt allowed.
    I ultimately agree 100% with this statement. The problem is, I guess I just fell in love with the Olympus Engineering and just kept upgrading without ever looking to see what other tools were available.

    I have the same problem with cars. I have always bought Toyota Camrys for the past 20+ years without even checking any other models. I have recently rented other automobiles recently and realize there are some other great cars out there too.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    I hope you visit and let us know what is happening! I have really enjoying reading your posts.

    JoJo
    I would like to visit and post some of my shots, but I an not sure it would be appropriate
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I would like to visit and post some of my shots, but I an not sure it would be appropriate
    Are you going to keep Olympus equipment for other work? Models and studio shots, or you are going to sell it off?
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

    Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    4,208
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Re: My new photographic career

    Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Are you going to keep Olympus equipment for other work? Models and studio shots, or you are going to sell it off?
    My plan is to sell all my Olympus equipment so I can purchase a second Canon body to use as my backup camera.
    Lawrence

    All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •