Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's not just P&S troubles in the camera industry any more !

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: It's not just P&S troubles in the camera industry any more !

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Um, I disagree. I think that "ILC" stands for Interchangeable Lens Compact" and means NOT a DSLR. In other words, ILC and DSLR are terms used to differentiate between the 2 primary types of interchangeable lens cameras - mirrorless ones (ILC) and mirrored ones (reflex - DSLRs).
    No, mirrorless ILCs ar called "MILC"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorless_interchangeable-lens_camera

EDIT: you beat me to it!
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Bob Shrader

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post

Think about it...Why in the world would I anxiously await the arrival of the m4/3 300/4 when I shoot with a 300/2.8?

zippski
    Hmm, Amazon is now listing the 300/2.8 for $6,499. Perhaps the investment enters into the equation somewhere.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I can't help but think that 10-15 years ago there were professional and semi serious amateur photographers and they probably only numbered in their millions - quite a few millions but not billions.

Now we have every smart phone, tablet and mp3 player user on the planet turned into a "photographer" starting around the age of 4 years and people who would never have considered buying photographic gear starting to take images out of convenience and the fact that they have by default ended up with a camera in their pocket.

These surely now number in the billions
    So the way I see it, we now have a base of "photographers" (and I know some will challenge that they are in fact photographers !) that is simply beyond enormous.

Many of them accept that their smart phone photos are only ever going to allow them to take snapshots without much in the way of creative composure, depth of field, focal length and control and some of them will migrate to better cameras.
    If only miniscule number migrate upwards that is going to reflect in a big percentage compared to yesteryears total photorapher pool.

So regardless of the medium - just as we we went from plates and large format to medium format and 35mm to digital, from dark room to digital and now we have more P&S and smartdevices - photography is still increasing

So maybe what they (the Canikons of the world) should be doing is re-educating this base of users if its so important that everyone who takes photographs should become a real photographer - but then again - is that what we want or is it just a commericial opportunity.
    Its just a process of constant evolution, things dont stay the same, the demographics change, the technology changes, cost of entry and degree of dificulty . . . it all just keeps changing

And I for one am more than happy that I dont have to sleep above my darkroom cellar anymore ! A by product of the same evolution.
    But then photography for me has always been for my own personal pleasure, I never wanted to compete against the rest, or to have the best images or replace the professionals - Its something I just enjoy doing.
    So my 300f2.8 comes out for some shots, but so does the Pen EPL1 with pancake lens for others, and dare i say - so does the Gen3 iphone when I have nothing else !

Cheers

Rally

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sooner or later you will have to face it. The E-M1 IS the E-7!
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Don, is there really anyone on the planet who HASN'T faced that fact? I mean, do you think that there is anyone who is anxiously awaiting and expecting a true Olympus E-7 DSLR? OK, maybe 3 or 4 die-hard optimists.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just as an FYI - a June 4, 2015 announcement seen on another website:
    "...According to The NPD Group, overall mirrorless camera revenue has grown 16.5% over the past 12 months, with DSLR sales declining approximately 15% over the same period."
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3