Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EM5 Mark II

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: EM5 Mark II

I think there are a lot of lenses for 4/3 that Olympus would have liked to have developed, but never did. For starters, Olympus never produced a lens faster than f/2.0 for 4/3, but I think one of the major problems of 4/3 was that there as no cheap nifty fifty (like the 50mm f/1.8 for Canon or the 35mm f/2.4 for Pentax), and they also never produced an 85mm equiv. portrait lens or a 135mm equiv telephoto portrait lens
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Tend to agree with Godfrey. Olympus was always known for two things; good/great lenses and a small form factor. Their 4/3-m4/3 development satisfies both demands.
    Yup.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As Thom just wrote, they are "iterating" , and there are not enough "Pros" that will switch.Olympus C-AF was a disaster, and just look at where this forum has gone in the past few years, to see how many people have given up on Oly for BIF and sports ,besides the overall market now shrinking.

There are many staunch Oly people that still cling to the hopes of Oly succeeding at the "Pro" level, but the real "Pros" will not abandon their much finer gear, to shoot Landscapes with a consumer grade E-M5II, because the Hi Res mode is not all the Oly marketing people would like us to believe it is.

A Tilt shift lens has a very limited market share, and I doubt enough to do the R&D let alone production. I really wonder sometimes what ever became of Olys plans for the 100MM macro that was indeed on the "roadmap" but never came to fruition?

I think Olympus got carried away with developing m4/3 beyond the initial Pens. They saw their user base chomping at the bit with every new Pen they released, were relying on the "nostalgia" movement, and thought that everyone that was invested in 4/3rds would switch.!
    The crux of the where market is now, is just how many times, and with what frequency can a consumer continue upgrading bodies for minor or gimmicky features, when what we have is more than adequate for the good majority of what users are doing with their cameras, to keep the manufacturers profitable.
    Oly said that if they could not be profitable within 2 years with m4/3rds they would be out of the game... that was a year ago.

Olympus is great gear .. it never was, and never will be considered Pro gear, and I don't believe they are pretending to try to be. Serious amateurs, and even some pros to augment their other systems, yes.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The reason people have left this forum in droves is the negative stürm und drang that you and others spout here on a regular basis. It's irritating to read and makes this forum a rather unwelcoming place. Why join a forum about FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds when your enthusiasm for the equipment is going to be driven into the mud by doom and gloom?

There are a good lot of Olympus professional users out there. I was a pro member when I was running my photo business and met quite a few of them. Just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist. Some have been shooting with Olympus gear for decades, others joined with the E-5 and are now working with E-M1s and E-M5s. Most are not landscape photographers, most do people and wildlife work. Birds in Flight are a seriously niche specialty in the pro world, in my experience ... it's astonishing to me how many people on this forum are dedicated to BIFs. Moreover, most pros these days have several systems and use each for what it's best at, because different manufacturers focus on different things and digital cameras are not so homogeneous as film cameras once were.

Anyway, just keep spouting the doom and gloom and more people will leave here. I guarantee it.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Two points, one in rebuttal to Godfrey's post:

1. The alleged doom and gloom was not why people abandoned the forum. People abandoned the forum because Olympus abandoned us. Plus, you know, all the condescending scolding.

2. Don't get the 40MP multi-shot gimmick at all. Small form factor + mandatory tripod =/= small form factor. Ergo, rationale behind the small form factor becomes a non-sequitur.

Leigh
    zippski

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zippski For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    Two points, one in rebuttal to Godfrey's post:

1. The alleged doom and gloom was not why people abandoned the forum. People abandoned the forum because Olympus abandoned us. Plus, you know, all the condescending scolding.

2. Don't get the 40MP multi-shot gimmick at all. Small form factor + mandatory tripod =/= small form factor. Ergo, rationale behind the small form factor becomes a non-sequitur.

Leigh
    zippski
    Thanks Leigh, I was almost beginning to feel I was being too harsh, but I'm not.

For my type of shooting I'm fine with my Olympus gear BUT...
    It's a sales and marketing gimmick like so many other Olympus claims in the past, nothing more! that's mainly already being tauted by the internet hucksters and the people who really don't understand that it's not going to work for most of the things I already discussed. Robin Wong just clarified that even more with samples and statements of what it cannot do properly!, and that it causes ghosting and artifacts as I said earlier. http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/0...review_10.html It is not for Landscapes or any other venue that exhibits ANY movement whatsoever! I applaud Robin for being so honest and forthright in his evaluation.

Oh and if you think your inexpensive tripod is your salvation for steadying the camera to use it fo Macro or the uses it is useful for, put a laser pointer on your camera, mount it on your tripod, and see how much vibration and movement you will get. 2 pixel movement is enough to negate the entire process, and 2 pixels is miniscule!!!
    People on DPR have already started talking about how to compensate for movement. This camera is NOT a PRO camera!!
    I do have to give the Olympus Ad people credit for not touting it as a prime feature on the ads, it is coming from other sources to drum up sales, who are directly compensated from the advertising on their sites t!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Okay, dh202. I'm tired of reading your rants. You'll be on my ignore list like the zipper has been for many months from now on.

FYI from a professional photographer who uses this gear ...
    I'm very encouraged by the new Olympus EM5 Mark 2. It seems to be a well thought out upgrade but it gives a certain comfort to current EM5 owners as well. I'll explain.
    Why I think the EM-5-2 might be an important tool for photographers who also want to be videographers.

Enjoy yourself and don't give yourself an aneurism with all that negativity.

G

PS: I still do some occasional pro/paid shooting, and the camera I most commonly use to do it is the Olympus E-M1 fitted with ZD 11-22, ZD 50-200, Summilux 25, or Macro-Elmarit 45 lenses. Not a single client has been dissatisfied with the results out of this camera, and I'm delighted with how it works.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    PS: I still do some occasional pro/paid shooting, and the camera I most commonly use to do it is the Olympus E-M1 fitted with ZD 11-22, ZD 50-200, Summilux 25, or Macro-Elmarit 45 lenses. Not a single client has been dissatisfied with the results out of this camera, and I'm delighted with how it works.
    I do pro work with my EM5 fitted with the Oly f/1.8 75mm, the Nocticron f/1.2 42.5mm, and the Summilux f/1.4 25mm.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So, now I'm curious....What will happen when there is no one left on the forum NOT on Godfrey's ignore list?

Leigh
    zippski

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zippski For This Useful Post:

Fishtug (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    So, now I'm curious....What will happen when there is no one left on the forum NOT on Godfrey's ignore list?

Leigh
    zippski
    I really hope this forum is not becoming another "43 Rumors" forum.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Okay, dh202. I'm tired of reading your rants. You'll be on my ignore list like the zipper has been for many months from now on.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jgspitler View Post
    I really hope this forum is not becoming another "43 Rumors" forum.
    I hope not too.

The six people on my ignore list are irritants whom I no longer bother reading because they have nothing useful to say, just constant whine and complaint. Too many of those and I don't bother visiting here, that's all. So far, there are enough good conversations and nice photos to look at.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't agree with the naysayers on the latest Olympus idea. What is wrong in having the choice? Some do use a tripod often (not me) because it suits their subject. eg product subjects, architecture. And more of them are using mirrorless.
    It seems whenever Olympus introduce a new technology, or bring an existing idea to the masses, that there are a lot of critics/cynics. Dust buster (they said why bother, they just air blow the sensor evey week), fully articulating screen (why do we want one of those, it will break and we just wouldn't use it), in-body 5 axis IS (it won't be as good as OIS), mirrorless (Why would.........)!
    And what happens? The other manufacturers slowly copy the idea, but never do it as well!
    I do agree with David about their exaggeration re: the E-3 autfocus though.
    And Olympus have now given us the option of better color and higher resolution for the same cost as the original E-M5.
    Whats not to like? I would love to experiment when the E-M2 comes out.
    Cheers,
    Don

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Baldwinson For This Useful Post:

caurt (02-11-2015),Steven R (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    I don't agree with the naysayers
    I don't get naysayers (trolls) on any forum. Regardless of the topic. Photography or otherwise. Check out forums for Fender guitars and you'll see the same nonsense from Gibson lovers, and vice versa.