Thread: I need help choosing upgrade from Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default I need help choosing upgrade from Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens

What cameras willwork well with four-thirds ZUIKO ED 50-200mm (non SWD) lens?>>
    For several years I have been doing a lot of sportsphotography of my kids, primarily outdoor (soccer, football, surfing), but someindoor (basketball). I have been using the old cheap entry-level Olympus E-510with a quality ZUIKO ED 50-200mm ED (non SWD). I have money to be able to upgradethe camera…in part because I am way overdue having the freedom to shoot videowith the same camera (nearly all have had this for some time) and to gainquality in pictures that I would hope to gain with larger MP sensor and newer processors.>>
    The dilemma is finding any newer camera that will serve thelens well…within a cost that is fitting. There are few (if any) lenses that cancompare assume to the lens I have…with 50-200mm zoom that because it isfour-thirds is equivalent to 100-400mm…and anything close to that in otherformat / brand lenses is outside my “enthusiast” appropriate cost. From what Isee, my options include:>>
    Using myZuiko lens on micro 4/3 cameras with adapter not good because they losemost AF functions….likely slower than my current old Olympus E-510.>>
    Could get theolder but higher level Olympus E-5 – full size DSLR but is expensive and onlyoffers 12MP, 720 video.>>
    Could getthe newer (Oct 2013) Olympus E-M1 – added in phase detection that allows 4/3lens to work better but is $1300 new for body only….and more profesional level thanI need.>>
    Or I couldjust start over with good enthusiast level Nikon or Canon… but appears gettingany comparable lens would be beyond reach.>>
    I REALLY appreciate any perspective or ideas anyone has.>>

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: I need help choosing upgrade from Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens

In terms of 50-200mm support, your choices are either a newer used 4/3rds body, the E-M1 (with a MMF-3 adapter), or sell your 50-200mm lens and buy something else. You could use the 50-200mm with other Pens/OM-D's, but frankly the auto focus time will be a killer.

The last 4/3rds body (E-5) is perhaps the best, which does do video (but note the video restrictions). But the preceding generation (E-3, E-30, E-620) would also work if you didn't want video.

If you don't need the 150-200mm end of the 4/3rds 50-200mm, the micro 4/3rds 40-150mm lens has pretty good comments, and you can usually find it for $100-200, depending on when Olympus has its sales (right now, Olympus USA has a sale if you buy selected bodies, and various lenses together, such as an E-M10 + 14-42mm lens + 40-150mm lens for $800, or the E-PL5 + same lenses for $550).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: I need help choosing upgrade from Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens

How much are you willing to spend?

If you're not willing to go for a used E-5 or E-M1 (if they are too expensive for you), your next best choice would be an Olympus E-30 or an Olympus E-620. Both would be nice upgrades for the E-510.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's all about the $'s at this point and what you want to do going forward.

I went from E-510 -> E30 -> E5 -> EM1

I loved the E30 compared to the E510. Purchased the 50-200mm when I had the E30 and it performed very well. I still have my E30.

I kept the E5 for about a year before selling and purchasing the EM1. I made that decision based primarily on wanting to reduce the size and weight of my kit when traveling.

I find performance of the 50-200mmon EM1 seems a bit slower (could be in my head) and without the battery grip the balance on the EM1 can be a bit tiring. I just haven't been as happy with it on the EM1.

I just purchased the 40-150mm Pro and have used it about 2 weeks - the sharpness is incredible and given it's performance I'll likely sell the 50-200 now even though it doesn't have the same reach.

My personal opinion would be:
    - to upgrade at lowest cost the E30 is a great option
    - to upgrade at more cost with size not being a consideration then the E5
    - to upgrade at more cost with size being the primary consideration then EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have the 50-200/2.8-3.5 pre-SWD as well. I have used it extensively with L1 and E-5 (both now long gone), use it still with both the E-1 and E-M1, and tested it with the new E-PL7 body I acquired a couple of weeks.

By direct comparison, the AF performance of this lens on the E-M1 outpaces the AF comparison on the E-1 by a good margin. I expected that. I seem to recall this lens on the L1 was a tiny bit snappier than on the E-1, and the E-5 was similar and a bit more again; my impression is that the E-M1 does even better than those, but it depends upon the situation you're facing and your expectations.

The surprise was testing it on the E-PL7 as I read so many reports of horror and "unusability." Frankly, the 50-200 nonSWD focuses very well on the E-PL7: not super-fast, I would never recommend this as a CAF-follow-focus-sports dynamo, but surely, consistently, and without drama. Of course, fitting the 50-200 to the E-PL7 is like mounting a Big Bertha cannon in a canoe ... I doubt I'll use it that way very much.

I bought the extremely small, light, and inexpensive M.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 R for the E-PL7 and compared it to the 50-200. This lens is 1/4 the size and 1/5 the weight. You lose a stop in performance and focus zone control. But the photo quality coming out of it is quite good, it focuses nearly instantaneously on both E-M1 and E-PL7, and it's so small and light I forgot I had it in my vest pocket when I went to grab it out of my shoulder bag—gave me a couple of moments panic wondering where I'd lost it.

So ... In the end, your expectations and the types of scenes you want to shoot with the 50-200 should be your guide. If you want the best focusing performance with it, step up to the E-30, E-5, or E-M1. But we don't always need the very best AF performance for every single situation, so test it on an E-PL7 or E-P5 with the adapter and see if that suits you. The 50-200 remains a very fine lens and is worth keeping if you value its speed and quality, but be aware that for $200 the little M.Zuiko 40-150 is a very decent performer which works very well on any of the Micro-FourThirds bodies.

A visit to a well stocked dealer for some testing will tell you what you want best.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bradbailey@ca.rr.com View Post
    What cameras willwork well with four-thirds ZUIKO ED 50-200mm (non SWD) lens?>>
    For several years I have been doing a lot of sportsphotography of my kids, primarily outdoor (soccer, football, surfing), but someindoor (basketball). I have been using the old cheap entry-level Olympus E-510with a quality ZUIKO ED 50-200mm ED (non SWD). I have money to be able to upgradethe camera…in part because I am way overdue having the freedom to shoot videowith the same camera (nearly all have had this for some time) and to gainquality in pictures that I would hope to gain with larger MP sensor and newer processors.>>
    The dilemma is finding any newer camera that will serve thelens well…within a cost that is fitting. There are few (if any) lenses that cancompare assume to the lens I have…with 50-200mm zoom that because it isfour-thirds is equivalent to 100-400mm…and anything close to that in otherformat / brand lenses is outside my “enthusiast” appropriate cost. From what Isee, my options include:>>
    Using myZuiko lens on micro 4/3 cameras with adapter not good because they losemost AF functions….likely slower than my current old Olympus E-510.>>
    Could get theolder but higher level Olympus E-5 – full size DSLR but is expensive and onlyoffers 12MP, 720 video.>>
    Could getthe newer (Oct 2013) Olympus E-M1 – added in phase detection that allows 4/3lens to work better but is $1300 new for body only….and more profesional level thanI need.>>
    Or I couldjust start over with good enthusiast level Nikon or Canon… but appears gettingany comparable lens would be beyond reach.>>
    I REALLY appreciate any perspective or ideas anyone has.>>
    Having that camera-lens combo I can attest that either the E-30 or E-5 is a significant step forward in every shooting aspect imaginable. But as you mention video and only the E-5 has that, money would be much better spent on the E-M1. But, how important is it to keep a $500 lens going when the cost is a $1400 body and $150 adapter? I suppose it depends on your ultimate goals. For certain, the E-M1 wrings far more detail out of the lens than the E-510 does. The only downside is the focus will wander off at least as much as it does on the E-510, lacking a focus limit switch. CAF finally works though, which is quite a revelation.

To jump into the E-M1 would be a commitment to eventually building a µ4/3 system that includes naive lenses. That's the path to really exploiting the camera's potential (which is tremendous in my experience).

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    Having that camera-lens combo I can attest that either the E-30 or E-5 is a significant step forward in every shooting aspect imaginable. But as you mention video and only the E-5 has that, money would be much better spent on the E-M1. But, how important is it to keep a $500 lens going when the cost is a $1400 body and $150 adapter? I suppose it depends on your ultimate goals. For certain, the E-M1 wrings far more detail out of the lens than the E-510 does. The only downside is the focus will wander off at least as much as it does on the E-510, lacking a focus limit switch. CAF finally works though, which is quite a revelation.

To jump into the E-M1 would be a commitment to eventually building a µ4/3 system that includes naive lenses. That's the path to really exploiting the camera's potential (which is tremendous in my experience).

Cheers,

Rick
    Thanks. I reallyappreciate the helpful perspective. >>
    Currently I usethe E-510 and 50-200 non SWD for sports and get good but not most consistentresult...and a simple Lumix Z point and shoot for video. (Size of camera is nota ajor issue as I use a monopod and just take the small Lumix when out andabout with family rather than sports.) As I look at how best to get bettersports which involves quality of AF function along with general imageprocessor, sensor size, etc… plus a choice in direction that will make senselonger term… plus doing so for a cost that really makes sense in terms of whatI gain… I am beginning to think good option may be:>>
    Get the SWDversion of this lens… whichI can buyused / refurb for just $600 and sell mine for $400 - $450…this gaining doublethe AF speed for very little overall cost. (Seems no lens will be as good forsports as these because Canon / Nikon DSLR lenses of equal reach / light willbe extreme in costs and be much larger…and micro 4/3 lenses just don’t yet havecomparative.>>
    Then get a newerLumix compact P&S to grab video>>
    Then wait forwhat may follow the E-M1 which will likely have the video commitment / qualitythat Olympus just released in the E-M5 II. At that point… paying such a costmay be worthwhile as I really get the video…and the combination of 4/3 andmicro 4/3 which seems like it offers better future for an “enthusiast” level whowants high quality sports lenses…than strict 4/3.>>
    If I went his route…wouldthen consider whether in the meantime…to find best deal on used >>
    E-30 or E-610….orjust stick with the E-510 and enjoy the faster AF in the SWD version of thelens and wait awhile.>>
    Does this seemreasonable? Would used E-30 or E-610 make sense? If so which?>>

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks. I reallyappreciate the helpful perspective. >>
    Currently I usethe E-510 and 50-200 non SWD for sports and get good but not most consistentresult...and a simple Lumix Z point and shoot for video. (Size of camera is nota ajor issue as I use a monopod and just take the small Lumix when out andabout with family rather than sports.) As I look at how best to get bettersports which involves quality of AF function along with general imageprocessor, sensor size, etc… plus a choice in direction that will make senselonger term… plus doing so for a cost that really makes sense in terms of whatI gain… I am beginning to think good option may be:>>
    Get the SWDversion of this lens… whichI can buyused / refurb for just $600 and sell mine for $400 - $450…this gaining doublethe AF speed for very little overall cost. (Seems no lens will be as good forsports as these because Canon / Nikon DSLR lenses of equal reach / light willbe extreme in costs and be much larger…and micro 4/3 lenses just don’t yet havecomparative.>>
    Then get a newerLumix compact P&S to grab video>>
    Then wait forwhat may follow the E-M1 which will likely have the video commitment / qualitythat Olympus just released in the E-M5 II. At that point… paying such a costmay be worthwhile as I really get the video…and the combination of 4/3 andmicro 4/3 which seems like it offers better future for an “enthusiast” level whowants high quality sports lenses…than strict 4/3.>>
    If I went his route…wouldthen consider whether in the meantime…to find best deal on used >>
    E-30 or E-610….orjust stick with the E-510 and enjoy the faster AF in the SWD version of thelens and wait awhile.>>
    Does this seemreasonable? Would used E-30 or E-610 make sense? If so which?>>

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 50-200mm (nonSWD) on the E-M1 was what ultimately led me to abandoning Olympus.

I realize this sounds like a pretty weak argument for abandoning a camera system I have been using for many years, but it was a photo shoot of a Miss America Teen Pageant where this camera/lens combination just did not work. I knew I was going to be doing a lot more of this type of shooting, and I just wanted a camera system that was more suited to this type of work.

I am sure the 50-200mm (nonSWD) on the E-M1 would work fine for almost any type of shooting where you do not need to focus quickly.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Brad,

A used E-30 will improve your sports shooting a great deal with your current 50-200. I made that change and was really pleased--the AF performance is much better and the OVF and 1/8000 shutter are both welcome. The E-620 isn't on the same level, even with a slightly newer processor, so I'd pass on that option.

IMHO a better investment than switching to the SWD is the EC14 teleconverter, which will give you 283mm reach. For field sports like soccer and the like, the extra reach is welcome and the combination is really sharp.

BTW, the new 40-150/2.8 Pro lens is going to be very popular for sports. Doesn't have the 50-200 reach but is faster and faster-focusing, and there's also a 1.4x teleconverter. The 300/4 isn't out yet, but it will become the go-to sports lens for µ4/3.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: I need help choosing upgrade from Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    A visit to a well stocked dealer for some testing will tell you what you want best.

G
    Unfortunately for most folks that is not an option, unless they live near one of the few remaining well stocked dealers that carriers Olympus goods.

A few years ago, the list of USA dealers that carried the full Olympus line was something like:
    • B&H and Adorama in New York, New York
    • Cameta in Long Island, New York
    • Hunts in Melrose, MA (we also used to have the Camerastore south of Boston, but that is now video only)
    • Arlington Camera in Arlington, Texas
    • Precision Camera in Austin, Texas
    • Samys in Southern California
    • Mike's in Denver, Colorado
    • Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto, California

There are probably more that I never heard of, and perhaps a few no longer exist (or have stopped selling Olympus gear).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    Unfortunately for most folks that is not an option, unless they live near one of the few remaining well stocked dealers that carriers Olympus goods.

A few years ago, the list of USA dealers that carried the full Olympus line was something like:
    • B&H and Adorama in New York, New York
    • Cameta in Long Island, New York
    • Hunts in Melrose, MA (we also used to have the Camerastore south of Boston, but that is now video only)
    • Arlington Camera in Arlington, Texas
    • Precision Camera in Austin, Texas
    • Samys in Southern California
    • Mike's in Denver, Colorado
    • Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto, California

There are probably more that I never heard of, and perhaps a few no longer exist (or have stopped selling Olympus gear).
    Three local stores (including Keeble & Shuchat) carry the Olympus line, and Keeble has brand days when the tech reps show up on regular occasion. A call to Olympus will net the address of the nearest stocked dealer, or the tech rep.

In lieu of a local dealer, make your best guess, order a camera from B&H or Adorama, and then return it if it's not suitable within the satisfaction return window. That's why they offer the return service the way they do. I've used it for deciding between bags, choosing cameras, lenses, etc. It does cost you something (mostly time) but it's worth it in the event of no other way to handle the gear and make a good decision.

Opinions of others online doesn't net the information I need. Only handling and trying the gear out does.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    The 50-200mm (nonSWD) on the E-M1 was what ultimately led me to abandoning Olympus.

I realize this sounds like a pretty weak argument for abandoning a camera system I have been using for many years, but it was a photo shoot of a Miss America Teen Pageant where this camera/lens combination just did not work. I knew I was going to be doing a lot more of this type of shooting, and I just wanted a camera system that was more suited to this type of work.

I am sure the 50-200mm (nonSWD) on the E-M1 would work fine for almost any type of shooting where you do not need to focus quickly.
    Lawrence,

I must not be as sensitive to AF speed, or simply don't rely upon it as much as you do. I did some test shooting of sport cars at the track and a volleyball game with the E-M1 and 50-200, had no problems with focusing capabilities. Of course, it focuses manually very quickly and surely too.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lawrence,

I must not be as sensitive to AF speed, or simply don't rely upon it as much as you do. I did some test shooting of sport cars at the track and a volleyball game with the E-M1 and 50-200, had no problems with focusing capabilities. Of course, it focuses manually very quickly and surely too.

G
    The event I was shooting had the contestants doing all kinds of performances from playing a musical instrument to doing fast modern dancing. I think my problem was a combination of the EVF having a hard time displaying the performer as I was swinging the camera around to try and follow them, and then the lens being able to focus fast enough to get sharp images. Or, it just may have been my shooting technique. However. I just photographed four ballet performances under similar conditions with my new 5D Mark III, and did not have the same problems.

Edit:
    I have to admit that my decision to go with another camera was an emotional decision. Two of the young ladies I had photographed a number of times in my studio were both contestants in this "Miss America Outstanding Teen" competition.

I had really hoped to nail this shoot and bring back some great shots. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as planned.
    Last edited by lkeeney; 02-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lkeeney For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It has been really helpful to hear from those who have experience with various options.
    Thanks to each of you.
    It became clear that for my primary goals of 1) capturing family memories...which includes good flexability to have a good pocket camera...and 2) get some quality sports shots with a bit better potential than the E-510 is giving me, and 3) to do so in such a way that I am making good use of the Zuiko 50-200 lens and not getting too invested yet in one direction...
    I have purchased a used E-30 that some have said will bring better results than the E-510...and cost just $280...and plan to get the latest compact P&S Lumix ZS50 for getting some fun video on the fly...including slow-motion / high speed.
    Part of this reason was that the E-M1... would have been too much cost given that it is only decent with the AF for this lens...and still only has decent video. It appears that Olympus may finally be showing some interest in video by what was in the new E-M5II....but that does not help with by 4/3 lens. If I can eventually find a lens with equal potential that is affordable...I will likely then shift to whatever format will serve that going forward.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

50-200 non SWD. Bang for buck, E-30, little more bucks, E-5. Best overall IQ- E-M1, but with worse AF in all but good light. 75-300 is a better choice for the E-M1, surprisingly good and not too expensive.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

[Get the SWDversion of this lens this gaining doublethe AF speed for very little overall cost]
    Not true at all I'm afraid. Whether you stick with 4/3 or go to m4/3, this would be a waste of money if cash is short. The 50-200mk1 focuses very adequately in good light with either system.

Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It became clear that for my primary goals of 1) capturing family memories...which includes good flexability to have a good pocket camera...and 2) get some quality sports shots with a bit better potential than the E-510 is giving me, and 3) to do so in such a way that I am making good use of the Zuiko 50-200 lens and not getting too invested yet in one direction....
    Given that, why don't you consider a stylus-1 as a longer term option? Glowing reviews, good lens, and enough reach. Cheap system overall!

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digi.../stylus-1.html

I have owned (and still own)both the XZ-1 and XZ-2 and have found them to be amazing little cameras. Not much of a step down in IQ from the DSLRs, and I am fussy.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I did some testing using my 50-200 pre-SWD on the E-M1 with the new firmware 3.0 installed. At this point, at least for my uses, it outperforms the E-5 in every particular.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It has been really helpful to hear from those who have experience with various options.
    Thanks to each of you.
    It became clear that for my primary goals of 1) capturing family memories...which includes good flexability to have a good pocket camera...and 2) get some quality sports shots with a bit better potential than the E-510 is giving me, and 3) to do so in such a way that I am making good use of the Zuiko 50-200 lens and not getting too invested yet in one direction...
    I have purchased a used E-30 that some have said will bring better results than the E-510...and cost just $280...and plan to get the latest compact P&S Lumix ZS50 for getting some fun video on the fly...including slow-motion / high speed.
    Part of this reason was that the E-M1... would have been too much cost given that it is only decent with the AF for this lens...and still only has decent video. It appears that Olympus may finally be showing some interest in video by what was in the new E-M5II....but that does not help with by 4/3 lens. If I can eventually find a lens with equal potential that is affordable...I will likely then shift to whatever format will serve that going forward.
    E-30 is a performance and user-control jump from the 510 across the board and yet will feel familiar. It's generations behind the current crop of µ4/3 cameras but will give an instant boost in focusing speed and capturing action. The viewfinder alone is worth it. You'll probably want to cap it at 1600ISO, as it it throws weird noise when light drops too much.

Video is off my radar--I use it occasionally but never actually do anything with the clips--they're just for posterity, so the E-M1 is perfectly fine. (Confesss I don't' understand the unrelenting march to 4k, but Oly seems disinclined to stuff it into cameras at the cost of limiting the still imaging enhancements.)

Do run your new-used E-30 through all the shooting modes to make sure it doesn't exhibit quirky behaviors. Mine has auto-switched modes a couple times and I've read many accounts of similar bizarre behaviors.

Cheers,
    Rick