Thread: Which 4.3 lens of three focus best on the EM5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Which 4.3 lens of three focus best on the EM5

I still have my low count E-1 which has been a great camera for me. I just picked up a very low count OM-D EM-5....

Until I get some money ahead to buy some good lens options for the OM-D, I want to do dual purpose on lenses.

So my question is this:

I have a very clean 14-54 original lens that came with the E-1.

I know that I can use it on the OM-D with focus speed being a down side.

So, I am considering 3 options...

1) Go ahead and use an adaptor (MM3) with the original 14-54
    2) Purchase a Mk II 14-54 and use it with the MM3 better focus speed?
    3) Purchase a 12-60 and use it with the MM3 as well ... what focus issues?

So of those three options, can I ask for some opinions on best usage on the two camera's until I sort out what I want to do to better match the OMD with micro 4/3 lenses?

Also, of the three, I want the best focus speed I can expect, but I should also add that I don't do photography that demands blinding AF speed.

Thanks for any input here.

Lars

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Which 4.3 lens of three focus best on the EM5

#2 is what you want. The other two lenses are not optimized for use with CDAF.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yep, #2 is what will work best, but do note that you would basically be buying the same lens that you already have (the 14-54 Mk II is hardly different from Mk I).

I would just bite the bullet and get m4/3 lenses, but if you can get a 4/3 lens for super cheap, why not?
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I do have a question related to this - OK, so lenses like the 14-54MkI do not focus well on the E-M5 (and I assume same with E-M10). But how bad are they? I mean, say compared to the Live View AF on my Canon 60D or other brands with Live View trying to use lenses whose AF is intended for DSLRs. When I use Live View on my 60D with ANY lens, yeah I have to wait say 2 seconds, but I can live with that since I know what to expect, and it's usually for landscape and such use. Would it be like that with the non-E-M1 OM-D models?
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yeah, it would be round about that, maybe a little bit faster. About 1 sec.

The major problem is when stuff moves. By the time it locks focus, whatever you are taking picture of might have moved out of focus, causing the lens to try to focus again...

Not an issue for landscapes, obviously.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

RAH (02-18-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    I do have a question related to this - OK, so lenses like the 14-54MkI do not focus well on the E-M5 (and I assume same with E-M10). But how bad are they? I mean, say compared to the Live View AF on my Canon 60D or other brands with Live View trying to use lenses whose AF is intended for DSLRs. When I use Live View on my 60D with ANY lens, yeah I have to wait say 2 seconds, but I can live with that since I know what to expect, and it's usually for landscape and such use. Would it be like that with the non-E-M1 OM-D models?
    I've tested my 11-22, 35 Macro, and 50-200 (non-SWD) with the E-PL1 and E-PL7. While not particularly quick, the AF is surprisingly consistent and reassuring even with the E-PL1. The E-PL7 is actually reasonably quick. It's very consistent/accurate on both. Unless you really need blinding AF speed (I never do), there's no reason to not use these lenses on any of the Pen-D or OM-D bodies. Just work with them a little to understand the AF speed and behavior, and go forth with them.

To the OP:
    I wanted something small, light, and handy for the E-PL7 in addition to my fast FourThirds SLR and Micro-FourThirds prime lenses, so I picked up both the M.Zuiko 14-42/3.5-5.6 EZ ($350) and M.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 R ($199). While not particularly fast aperture-wise, they're both very small and light, and focus nearly instantaneously. Optical performance is remarkable for the size and price!

The 14-42 EZ on the E-M5 (or E-M1), along with its optional auto-opening lens cap, makes the camera very small to carry and it deploys and focuses virtually instantly. I would buy this lens rather than putting money into another FT SLR lens for the E-M5, and use your existing mark 1 FT lens when you want the better speed.

G

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

Declan79 (02-24-2015),RAH (02-18-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Lars,

I'll toss in a strong vote for 4) Purchase an E-M1 and the MMF3. The gulf between it and the E-M5 WRT 4/3 lens focus speed and accuracy is wide and the E-M5ii does nothing to address the difference. An E-M1 opens the pathway to the entire 4/3 lens collection in addition to the many 4/3 lenses. Between them there are around a hundred models to choose.

ETA The 12-60, like all three SWD lenses, has direct manual focus so offers some advantage even on the E-M over other 4/3 lenses. AF motion itself tends to stutter and not focus smoothly but prefocused it locks pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick_D; 02-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    Hi Lars,

I'll toss in a strong vote for 4) Purchase an E-M1 and the MMF3. The gulf between it and the E-M5 WRT 4/3 lens focus speed and accuracy is wide and the E-M5ii does nothing to address the difference. An E-M1 opens the pathway to the entire 4/3 lens collection in addition to the many 4/3 lenses. Between them there are around a hundred models to choose.
    ... Except it seems the OP has already purchased an E-M5 from the statement in the first post. ;-)

Nothing wrong with an E-M5, actually, although I prefer the E-M1 myself.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

also go for #2 : couldn't go wrong with it,

[QUOTE=Godfrey;636330]I've tested my 11-22, 35 Macro, and 50-200 (non-SWD) with the E-PL1 and E-PL7. While not particularly quick, the AF is surprisingly consistent and reassuring even with the E-PL1. The E-PL7 is actually reasonably quick. It's very consistent/accurate on both. Unless you really need blinding AF speed (I never do), there's no reason to not use these lenses on any of the Pen-D or OM-D bodies. Just work with them a little to understand the AF speed and behavior, and go forth with them.

To the OP:
    I wanted something small, light, and handy for the E-PL7 in addition to my fast FourThirds SLR and Micro-FourThirds prime lenses, so I picked up both the M.Zuiko 14-42/3.5-5.6 EZ ($350) and M.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 R ($199). While not particularly fast aperture-wise, they're both very small and light, and focus nearly instantaneously. Optical performance is remarkable for the size and price!

The 14-42 EZ on the E-M5 (or E-M1), along with its optional auto-opening lens cap, makes the camera very small to carry and it deploys and focuses virtually instantly. I would buy this lens rather than putting money into another FT SLR lens for the E-M5, and use your existing mark 1 FT lens when you want the better speed.

G

this might be my hint for my first m43 lens...the 40150R
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling