Thread: An Aurora Dance Behind the Clouds

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default An Aurora Dance Behind the Clouds

This was not the luckiest moment of our trip - we were waiting for weather to clear near Honningsvag, but the cloud cover was really thick, and there was nothing we could do about it.

On one side of the horizon there was a small clearing, and if you set the camera to long exposure, it would capture a faint aurora, but you could only hardly see it with a naked eye.

On the opposite horizon the cloud cover was much thicker, and the clouds themselves didn't appear to be too thick. After about a 20 minute wait, we started seeing light dancing behind the clouds and then wham! It just cleared on the horizon and the aurora appeared over there in full force!

Not much to see there though, as it was right at the horizon and quite cloudy.

We waited some more and the aurora was clearly moving in our direction, getting stronger and stronger. And then the clearing that was on the other side of the horizon moved overhead, just as the aurora was moving from the other side... and we hit jackpot!

It was a very powerful display, with the whole sky above our heads literally turning green. It only lasted a few minutes, and I was only able to take a few shots.

Note to self: taking a picture of an aurora directly over your head is not easy. Most of the beautiful aurora shots we see are actually of auroras "out there" at the horizon.

A few minutes later clouds rolled in and the aurora moved on. I got one last shot as it moved across the bay over the small town opposite.

Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

caurt (02-21-2015),Guy Roberts (02-22-2015),TomServoCA (02-23-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: An Aurora Dance Behind the Clouds

Oh these images are so special. When I worked in Northern AB the winter was always special. If I saw them driving out to a rig, I'd shut down the car, lie on the hood and look up at them in awe, even if it was -40 outside. You are so lucky!

Did you here them crackle? The Inuit say that they are ancestors trying to communicate

And the Northern Lights in the crystal nights came forth with a mystic gleam.
    They danced and they danced the devil-dance over the naked snow;
    And soft they rolled like a tide upshoaled with a ceaseless ebb and flow.
    They rippled green with a wondrous sheen, they fluttered out like a fan;
    They spread with a blaze of rose-pink rays never yet seen of man.
    They writhed like a brood of angry snakes, hissing and sulphur pale...
    --Robert W. Service, “The Ballad of the Northern Lights”
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: An Aurora Dance Behind the Clouds

I couldn't hear anything! While it all looks very calm in the pictures, "calm" in this part of the world means hurricane force winds, as this is a barren island jutting into the Arctic ocean.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II