Thread: Best Size for Making Prints from Four Thirds System

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Best Size for Making Prints from Four Thirds System

I had a used E-3, and returned it for the newer E-30 used because the E-30 had the Image Aspect Feature in Live View which I thought be compositionally helpful being that one needs to understand the concept of cropping in regard to making prints.

That being said, I have been told that the closest to 4 x 6 without cropping for 4/3 users is 4 x 5.

Have you found this to be an optimal size?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Best Size for Making Prints from Four Thirds System

4x5.3 inches is the closest FourThirds full-frame size that fits on a 4x6 sheet of paper.

It's a little small for my druthers. I make 6x8 or 9x12 inch prints, mostly.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Most print shops will print all sizes in the 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm not sure what exactly are you asking here? Do you definitely need pictures with a height of 4in?
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

When I owned Nikon or Canon, and needed to make quick prints, my local store would print 4x6.

When I researched the E-30, it was mentioned that it had an Image Aspect feature which would mimic 4x6 if I wanted in Live View. In other words, I could still make 4x6 borderless prints changing the aspect ration to 3x2 in the camera.

However, I have read some articles that state if one is using the default setting of 4/3, 4x3, the least sized print would be 4x5 which would avoid cropping.

For those of you who need small prints, what size have you printed at your default setting? When using image aspect?

I realize that if one were to work with the default, it looks like storing and viewing on the Hard Drive yields the best results.

Comments?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am not understanding the issue or problem here. Why crop in camera and lose pixels at the time of capture, when you can simply print a portion of the capture as a 4x6? More flexibility and more ixels is a win/win. Either that, or print on a 4x6 and leave a bit of edge showing on the long ends.

BTW, printing anything standard sized other than a 4x6 with a 35mm/full frame setup has always, always involved cropping since the dawn of photography. (unless you were shooting with an 8x10 or 4x5 view camera)

Leigh
    zippski.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

There is no issue or problem. In other words, in the past when I wanted a print of image from my DSLR, I always chose 4 x 6 borderless, and accepted it as it was printed with no thought to what was lost.

With 4/3, much of what I have read about besides the great image quality is that you cannot make a proper 4 x 6 from a 4/3 dslr because you will lose portions of the image due to cropping. Articles suggested using 4 x 5 instead or 5 x7 or higher enlargement. Enlargements do better with 4/3 than those made from non-Four Thirds DSLRs.

For those of you make prints, what size do you select?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by searchlight View Post
    There is no issue or problem. In other words, in the past when I wanted a print of image from my DSLR, I always chose 4 x 6 borderless, and accepted it as it was printed with no thought to what was lost.

With 4/3, much of what I have read about besides the great image quality is that you cannot make a proper 4 x 6 from a 4/3 dslr because you will lose portions of the image due to cropping. Articles suggested using 4 x 5 instead or 5 x7 or higher enlargement. Enlargements do better with 4/3 than those made from non-Four Thirds DSLRs.

For those of you make prints, what size do you select?
    Not sure I fully understand what the bolded part of quote means. But ...

If you want photos made to match the 4x6 size that your DSLR produced, just set the in-camera format proportions to 2:3 (or 3:2, I forget how they denote it). That way you can see what your print will look like precisely. You'll lose a bit off the top and bottom of what the full FourThirds format would capture, but for that print size I wouldn't worry about quality loss at all.

If you capture with JPEG+raw or raw format, you can edit the raw files afterwards and get the full FourThirds (4:3) proportion format and make anything you want from it, native format or cropped to any other proportion. Basically, with raw capture the camera records the entire data frame regardless of the proportion you've set, and then puts pixel dimensions in the metadata for image processing software to use when displaying the images. With Lightroom (and presumably other raw processing software) all you need do is enable the cropping tools and the full FourThirds format is available for you to work with.

As I said above, I most often make 6x8 and 9x12 inch prints from full FourThirds format captures. They are the same format as the sensor so there is no cropping loss. I also make A2 (quarter-page, or 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch) cards quite often, and the full FourThirds format is a pretty close match to that size.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I usually pick the aspect ratio in post processing depending on what is in the picture. Shooting a lot of landscapes, I tend to crop to 16:9 or 16:10 quite often (especially landscapes with the fisheye), other times I leave it at 4:3

As for printing, I never print small sizes anymore. For me, small sized prints have basically been replaced by an iPad (which happens to have a 4:3 aspect ratio). I print canvas 60x45cm and 80x60cm.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R