Thread: Question on lens purchase to meet my micro 4/3 high grade lens desire.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Question on lens purchase to meet my micro 4/3 high grade lens desire.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question about meeting certain requirements for lens needs using 4/3 lenses, and an 4/3 - m4/3 body... (EM5).

Budget constraints drive the approach I am proposing.

Based on your answers then, I purchased a Fotasy adapter (mmf 1,2,3 compatible) and attached my version 1 14-54mm 4/3 lens from my E1, to the Em5.

I am impressed, although the focus speed is a bit slower than I would like. In worst case based on my needs, the version 1 lens focus will work for me. A bit faster would be nice.

My "money is no object" list would have me purchasing the m.zuiko Pro v2.8 (high on my list of desired features) 12-40. But reality prevails. The ideal lens is a $900 lens at current sales price

The current 14-54 gives me 14 on the short end and 14 more mm on the long end, at the cost of 2-6 seconds focus speed.

Enter the 14-54 MKII lens which gives me all the advantages (less 2 mm up front), probably better build and glass, AND is rated to do focus at 1-2 seconds because of the CDAF optimization. I would be happy with this focus level.

I've considered other options, but this option will cost me about $240 shipped for an excellent MKII lens, and I should be able to recapture about $75 or a bit more for my excellent original version 14-54.

BTW, the focus is dead on, and the image capture extremely sharp with the original 14-54 and the Fotasy adaptor ($42)

I am outlining all this for your consideration. Have I left anything out. With the equipment I now have, I think I can move to my desired requirement for a bit over $100. (My real hobby is flying which dominates over photography, and currently I am saving my money to purchase a "Powered Parachute" to do some low level Aerial Photograpy... nothing over 10,000 feet)

So, what suggestions or other thoughts should I consider?

I am using the information from this lens chart to make these decisions.

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

Thanks.
    Last edited by saichiez; 03-25-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Question on lens purchase to meet my micro 4/3 high grade lens desire.

There will be a fair bit of performance improvement with the Mk II over the older lens on an E-M5.

However, there's one thing to consider. What I've learned over the years (about myself, really, so other's experience may differ) is that its better to suck it up and go for the lens you really want, as that is the lens you will eventually end up with anyway, its merely a question of which path you will take to get there, and how much it will cost you in the end.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Question on lens purchase to meet my micro 4/3 high grade lens desire.

I have to agree with Edmunds here - it is better to save up for the 12-40mm. Maybe wait until they start to show up in the used sales?

I have the 14-54mm MkII; and I find it a bit slow on the E-M5. Especially in low lights. So there will be a 12-40mm in my future
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Owning an E-M5 and E-M1 I'll contend there's no "magic bean" that will make the M5 focusing response acceptable with four-thirds lenses for anything other than the most leisurely shooting. It's frustrating enough for me to skip the combination entirely. Luckily, the M1 fixes all that.

Getting essentially the same lens and knocking a second or two off focus lock times seems like a half-step at best. For less you could get a used 12-50, or just save up for the 12-40, at which point you'd have the best standard zoom available for the M5.

Cheers,

Rick

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick_D For This Useful Post:

James Pilcher (03-27-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

what about the 12-60? 4/3rds? I cant remember how ell they work on teh EM5 though... all teh 4/3rds glass is going pretty cheap now..
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, I find that using the EM-5, The fotasy adaptor ($50 new) and the first version of the 14-54 is pretty good for my purposes. The lens grabs focus, without hunting and nails the focus in 2-3 seconds. I sold the original version, and I think I will be quite happy with the improved focus of the MKII same lens. The whole system is more stable for me because of the extra mass of the 4/3 lens, and I added just the grip portion of the HLD6 grip, not the battery portion.

I think I will be happy with that. MKII 14-54 lenses consistently show up on eBay from around $200 to $250, from highly ranked sellers. There are usually 10 to 15 first versions and MKII's at any given time.

EM5-Adaptor with focus function (Fotasy) MkII lens and Grip... nicely balanced for my hands and faster focus than I imagined. Boy there must be some real hard core focus fanatics out there in the world. I can remember years of manual focus, and I sure never got close to 5 seconds or less. Best focus speed... rangefinder up to 80mm lenses. Best base leg (longest) on the focus triangle Contax/Kiev. Even Nikon ruined rangefinder ease on the S2 (copy of Contax) when they cut the crap out of the length of the base leg on the rangefinder mechanism)