Thread: M4/3 and 4/3--new systems for me

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default M4/3 and 4/3--new systems for me

Hi. I'm new to these camera systems altho have been shooting digital since an Oly zoom-lens-reflex digicam of early 2000. Have been a Canonite since then. I shoot landscapes, mostly, and have been getting more active starting last year. But more to the point--

I've been wrestling with a dilemma--whether to invest in a FourThirds/MicroFourThirds camera system based on the Oly EM5-II v. continuing to use my all-Canon 5D3 system. As I get older and as a landscape fotog, the weight of a system becomes more of a hindrance in my ability to get where I want to go without exhausting myself. The last 1-1/2 years, I've sold a Canon 6D system; bought, and rejected for its clunkiness and technical issues in a couple months, a Sony a7R system; bought and am now selling, for its heaviness, generally, a Sony a99 system; and bought and gave up a much-lighter Samsung NX1 system. I bought this spring a Canon 5D3 system, and handling it and its lenses feels to me like coming home to somewhere I love. But…it's still a bit heavy. (BTW, the cost of these systems is NOT a problem, and this weight issue is serious enough for me that I just bought a new Gitzo 25-series leveling tripod that's TWENTY-ONE ounces lighter than my 35-series 'pod plus Acratech leveling base.) Overall, I'm happy with the 5D3 system and its results…BUT…the concept of the EM5-II's Hi-Res mode is fascinating--40- to 64MP images from a 16MP sensor under some conditions! I've seen enough test results to know it works, sometimes very well. But PhotoAcute 3 does about the same with the images from sort-of-any digicam including my 5D3. The former system requires a tripod, while the PhotoAcute-3 does better without (to create the sensor movement). I know that it's definitely effective at increasing resolution AND reducing noise simultaneously. Further, after the 5DSR is shipping this summer, if I keep my 5D3 I'll be highly tempted to complete my preorder, and that'll cost me about $2K (net).

Last nite I decided I had to try this new, smallish, light-weight system myself and so ordered an EM5-II plus two Oly 4/3 lenses, the 12-60/2.8-4 ED and 9-18/4-5.6 ED. This system, with ECG-2 grip and MMF-3 adapter weighs about 3-1/3 POUNDS less than my 3-lens Canon system, so it's surely more easily carried!

I hope this won't be just another of my camera-system evolutions on the way to something else.
    Last edited by jeffreybehr; 04-04-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Re: M4/3 and 4/3--new systems for me

I'm curious as to why you went with the 12-60 and not the 12-40? The 9-18 comes in both 4/3 and m4/3 versions. Which did you get? The reason I ask is because if size and weight are the issues, you're going to want to go with the m4/3 lenses. The 12-60 was my all time favorite go to lens; used it for just about everything. It works fine on m4/3 body with the MMF3. But, the 12-40 is faster, lighter, smaller, and of equal quality. Yes, it's not as long, but that can be made up with the 40-150 (f/2.8). I've now pretty much shifted over completely to m4/3 with the 12-40, 40-150 (w/1.4x), 60 macro and the m4/3 9-18. I can carry all of that, with my EM1 body + grip, and not feel as though I am hefting boulders. I still do have my 50-200 and 2x converter to use as my super telephoto.

I changed over (from standard 4/3, E5 and several HG and SHG lenses) due to improved technology in the m4/3 bodies, lens selection and quality, and size/weight factor which, like you, is a major factor.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kenwae View Post
    I'm curious as to why you went with the 12-60 and not the 12-40? I wanted the longer reach (than 80mm [35e]) and the wider angle compared with the zooms starting at 14mm. I always preferred the additional 'usefulness' of, for instance, the Canon 24-105 over the shorter range of the 24-70s. The 12-60 received excellent test results and comments from PhotoZone and DPReview, and I found one like new for c. $350. If I keep this system, and I hope I do, it'll be my GP 'walkabout' lens. Who knows--maybe I'll turn into a Zuiko-lens enthusiast like Michael Reichmann.

The 9-18 comes in both 4/3 and m4/3 versions. Which did you get? Both my lenses are Zuikos and not M. Zuikos.

The reason I ask is because if size and weight are the issues, you're going to want to go with the m4/3 lenses. The 12-60 was my all time favorite go to lens; used it for just about everything. It works fine on m4/3 body with the MMF3. But, the 12-40 is faster, lighter, smaller, and of equal quality. Yes, it's not as long, but that can be made up with the 40-150 (f/2.8). ...which I want to avoid...not that lens but a third lens; I have little use for telephoto lenses.

I've now pretty much shifted over completely to m4/3 with the 12-40, 40-150 (w/1.4x), 60 macro and the m4/3 9-18. I can carry all of that, with my EM1 body + grip, and not feel as though I am hefting boulders. I still do have my 50-200 and 2x converter to use as my super telephoto. Well, I'm starting with two lenses that I believe will cover my landscape and GP requirements; let's hope they work well at those.

I changed over (from standard 4/3, E5 and several HG and SHG lenses) due to improved technology in the m4/3 bodies, lens selection and quality, and size/weight factor which, like you, is a major factor.
    See also my note about using a Canon 17mm tilt-shift lens on the EM5-II; but first I'll see if I remember how to shoot good multiframe panos while rotating the camera.
    Last edited by jeffreybehr; 04-04-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

You won't be disappointed with the 12-60; as I said, it was my all time favorite lens. I still have it, just don't use it now as the 12-40 lives on the camera. I also really like the 9-18.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I dunno if you can exchange anything, but given that you chose the 12-60, you'd do better with the E-M1 which can PDAF focus it for you. Alternatively, the 14-54ii works better on the E-M5ii as a normal zoom and will save you the money that the E-M1 costs over the E-M5ii. I love the ZD 9-18... a very nice landscape lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use the E-M1 with the 4/3 14-54mm II lens and it works just fine. I wouldn't recommend using the 4/3 lenses with anything but the E-M1 because of slower focus.
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"