Thread: Crazy - But I'm Going Old School Digital

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Crazy - But I'm Going Old School Digital

I have to say that one of the lenses I really miss, is my 70-300 (140mm to 600mm equiv.) Olympus. After selling of a lot of my 4/3 gear a couple of years ago - E-3, 50 f2 macro, 50-250 SWD, FL50R - I gladly gave an Olympus 4/3 using Nicaraguan fellow I have come to know, my 70-300 as a gift ---- figuring that I would soon get a new one in the micro 4/3 designation.

Fact is that until it was gone, I didn't realize how much I depended on and missed that lens for my travel work. And then the reality of having to spend serious money ($600 plus with taxes) on the 75-300 version for my micro 4/3 bodies, I was left in a quandary about what to do to fill that need.

My decision came yesterday when I perused through Kijijji Classified ads, to see what was available used for 4/3 gear in my area of Ontario Canada. Turned out to be a fair bit.

And so today I picked up a virtually new Olympus E-520 to hang any lenses that I get on to. The owner (from Argentina), purchased it new 5 years ago, to take pics of her newborn baby with but instead ended up using her iPhone to capture most of the moments. It has a measly 2,000 actuations on it - about what I would shoot in one average wedding day. I purchased it for what I consider a steal at $150 (no 13% taxes added on obviously). It's a good thing because I still have and can benefit from my favourite lens of all time - - - - my 12-60 SWD. I have it because I haven't been able to sell it, even at give away prices

Moments later I came across a fellow who had switched to Pen cameras and found his 70-300 4/3 lens not suitable to focusing and rather unwieldy on the bodies. He was firm at $175 (again without adding 13% taxes) - - - but that was great being it was in mint condition and came in at $50 to $150 less than what was being asked for the same lens by other sellers on the classifieds.

So instead of moving ahead with my micro 4/3 purchases, I am finding myself digressing to the slightly less spec'd but wonderful system I enjoyed up until just a couple of years ago. Guaranteed that for 80% of my work - especially in travel and street - I will be using one or all of my 3 Pen cameras, kit lenses, and a few manual primes with adapters, that I have been using successfully recently. But now I can benefit from two wonderful lenses that I really miss - my 12-60 f2.8/4 and 70-300.

I hoped and tried going with just one system (mirror less micro 4/3), but for the next few years at least, it looks like I will be sticking with 2 systems instead. It is just plain more economical for me. Heck I was even tempted by a couple of good condition E-1's, but the reality is that the E-520 will serve me much better. I loved and many times preferred my E-510 over my E-3, at least until it died.

EPL58093 by Robert Watcher, on Flickr
    Photo taken with Olympus E-PL5 w/14-42 kit lens @ 3200 ISO

NEW PURCHASES TODAY - OLYMPUS E-520 w/ kit lens and bag - Olympus 70-300 lens (140-600mm equivalent in 35mm)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Crazy - But I'm Going Old School Digital

For the money, it's hard to beat 4/3 as a system. I regularly tell people who are looking to get into step-up photography from their phones or point-n-shoots to move into 4/3 with some eBay buys. For less than $500 you can easily get a great kit. If you want to evolve at a later date, 4/3 is ready to take all your lenses. The E-1 is my #1 daytime camera... ergonomically perfect and just a thrilling shooting experience. The 14-54 is perfect. The 50-200 is reason itself to buy into the system. I use 4/3 for low-light, but for everything else it's old school for me. The 9-18 is a brilliant walk-around-in-nature lens. The 70-300 was, I thought, one of the weaker lenses in the system but certainly offers a lot of reach for no weight; it just needs an awful lot of light to focus happily.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snap For This Useful Post:

Robert Watcher (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A huge motivator for going this route had to do with my not wanting to fork out huge money for every new micro 4/3 lens that I want and can really use. And then of course some of the lenses would require at least an E-M5 if not the preferred E-M1.

So here was some of my logic yesterday - - - I have a huge expensive paper weight in the 12-60 SWD, with no way to use it. If I could sell it, I would be replacing it with the 12-40 f2.8. Oh wait, I can't sell it. Plus the asking price I could maybe wish for is say $500. But then the 12-40 is around $1100 with taxes. It will be kind of big on my Pens and so will be best with a new E-M5 or E-M1 body. Plus as wonderful as the 12-40 may be, it falls far short on the focal length I already have and prefer. Huge bucks for no gain.

Then there was my desire to get the 70-300 focal length that I far prefer over the 40-150 m4/3 that I do own and use for my Pens. So was that going to be my next choice for purchase? Well at around $600 that would be a serious purchase. But hey, I also really need the 45mm so I can do some quality portrait work with my Pens. Besides that 24mm (35 equiv.) as the widest coverage of the lenses I have, isn't wide enough for my preference - so I really need either the 9-18 at $850 with taxes or the preferred but totally out of my current ball park for economical reasons - 7-14mm. Those don't cover all of my wants of course.

So I either work out a practical and pragmatic way to get what I need, or do without and dream. I'm afraid that I'm a shooter not a dreamer.

My current requirements so that I can do travel and professional portrait work are at least one E-M5 Mark II (or E-M1) body with 12-40 f2.8, 45 f1.8, 9-18 wide angle, 75-300 super zoom, and for pro work, 40-150 f2.8. Those are my needs beyond the Pen cameras and lenses I already have that suit fantastically the one area on photography I am currently consumed with in Central America.

So that is why I am going back to old cameras that provide very little difference in image quality and are manageable financially. No doubt that I benefit from the higher ISO ability of my Pens and and I will continue to make use of them when that functionality is needed. I prefer small size and flip out LCD screen for my carry around camera. So for now it appears that it will take both systems to keep me shooting and content - - - even though I was hoping to just drop the old and move on with the new.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hmmm. Since I have not yet stepped into the micro 4/3 world, I still shoot and travel everywhere with the kit listed in my sig. So perhaps I'm still old school. But Robert, your reasoning basically hits the logic I have in keeping my 4/3 gear: It does what I want it to do for the shoots I do, and it's completely paid for. Moreover, I still earn a bit of income with this gear. I have absolutely no doubt that there are probably advantages to using micro gear, but I love my two f2 lenses and the others are no slouches, either, and all of them function just fine without requiring an adapter. Moreover, I have no plans at all to acquire new lenses since I'm quite happy with what I already own. So, while I suspect that I might purchase some future em body, grip, & adapter, I can't imagine acquiring the micro lenses. Instead, I still dream of owning the 300mm f2.8 and the Sigmonster 300-800mm in the Oly 4/3 mount.
    http://hestamm.zenfolio.com
    E5, HLD-4 grip, 12-60swd, 14-35, 50-200swd, 35-100mm, 9-18mm, TC1.4, TC2.0, OM 500mm f8, FL-50R flash, ThinkTank Photo Airport Antidote, Velbon CF tripod

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hestamm For This Useful Post:

Robert Watcher (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Great post.
    I had my own Old School moment last weekend when I noticed my old Canon 1DIII sitting in the back of the cupboard. So took it to the beach just after dawn with the 400mm f5.6 and dog. I had forgotten how good it was, and it sure will be getting more exercise once again.
    Cheers,
    Don

Attachment 49247

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Baldwinson For This Useful Post:

Robert Watcher (06-08-2015)