Thread: Considering change to Olympus, Equipment Suggestions?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Considering change to Olympus, Equipment Suggestions?

Am in need of a new camera and have been considering Olympus but sadly lack practical knowledge about the brand. I am mainly a landscape & architecture shooter, my needs are along those lines, I mainly shoot with a pentax 16-45mm range lens if that helps to get an idea concerning lens selection. I do however have a fair to decent need of some kind of weather resistance as southern sweden even in summer can suddenly become wet as well as decent low light capabilities ( think old dimly castle interiors, etc... ) Anywas I'd appreciate maybe some pointers or suggestions from the collective braintrust here for some help.... thanks so much .

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Considering change to Olympus, Equipment Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erikka View Post
    Am in need of a new camera and have been considering Olympus but sadly lack practical knowledge about the brand. I am mainly a landscape & architecture shooter, my needs are along those lines, I mainly shoot with a pentax 16-45mm range lens if that helps to get an idea concerning lens selection. I do however have a fair to decent need of some kind of weather resistance as southern sweden even in summer can suddenly become wet as well as decent low light capabilities ( think old dimly castle interiors, etc... ) Anywas I'd appreciate maybe some pointers or suggestions from the collective braintrust here for some help.... thanks so much .
    You'd likely find the standard combination of Olympus E-M1 and M.Zuiko 12-40/2.8 lens very nice for starters, at least. Weather-sealed, very capable sensor, excellent image stabilization, and a great performing lens while smaller/lighter than any of the equivalent Pentax cameras. Pro-grade build and durability.

I used Pentax gear extensively (professionally) before I moved to Olympus gear. :-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hello Erikka,

If you are accustomed to using a tripod, the E-M5-2 has a high-res mode that would be ideal for landscapes and architecture. (The high-res mode is not well-suited to hand-holding, however.) Or an E-M1 is an excellent camera, just without that particular feature.

As noted, the 12-40/2.8 is a good choice, and there are many, many excellent prime lenses to choose from as well. The new Zuiko 7-14/2.8 will be exceptional for landscapes; it's just now shipping. These two cameras and zooms are weatherproof, and I've had many chances to verify Olympus weatherproofing works quite well. Not many of the prime lenses are weatherproofed, so that might also affect your decision. Several very fast primes would be great for dim interiors, though.

Good luck with your search!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Erikka View Post

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

There are many positives about the Olympus system, too many for me to list here, but I think an important consideration for a landscape or architectural photographer is the size of the sensor. The sensor in the Olympus camera is a "2X crop" sensor, meaning it is 1/2 the size of a 35MM (full frame) sized sensor. This means that the 12-40 lens mentioned before has an effective focal length of 24-80 on a full frame body. The other way that impacts your images is that there is greater perceived depth of field. So the 7-14 f2.8 lens when used at it's widest aperture (f2.8) will be comparable to a 14-28 MM f4.0 lens on a full frame camera. You can still go wide with Olympus and the added depth of field may be an advantage for your landscape and architectural shots. It's also a plus for macro photography.

Olympus is known for making exceptional lenses and being a pioneer with innovations like live view, self cleaning sensors, image stabilization, etc. The last item is one of the strong points of the Olympus system, any lens you put on the camera, including lenses from other cameras (which is easy to do with an adapter) will be image stabilized.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

As Greg says, you have to keep in mind the crop factor on for m43 cameras vs your Pentax. Assuming the Pentax is APS-C (1.5 crop), then your 16mm wide would be 24mm in 35 equivalence. So to match up, you'd need an m43 lens that is 12mm. If you were already giving the 16mm in 35 equivalence, then you would need a m43 lens of 8mm.

Since you specifically mentioned architectural photography, I would think you'd want a pretty wide lens. Greg and Rick mentioned the 7-14, but I want to add mention of the Olympus 9-18, which would also be a good choice.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Bruce Gordon

Actually it would be the equivalent of a 24-80 f/5.6 lens in terms of DOF.
    "Insanity is repeating the same process and expecting a different result" - Albert Einstein

Olympus EM-1 and EPL-5, Oly 25, 45, 9-18, 12-40, 60 macro, 14-150, FL-50R flash. 40-150 2.8 and TC soon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Bruce Gordon

Unless you do a lot of interiors in low light, or, need more that 18mm equivalent, the 9-18 is smaller, lighter, cheaper (much!) and very nearly as sharp. It is not weatherproof as the 7-14 will be though.
    Last edited by phlash46; 06-07-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    "Insanity is repeating the same process and expecting a different result" - Albert Einstein

Olympus EM-1 and EPL-5, Oly 25, 45, 9-18, 12-40, 60 macro, 14-150, FL-50R flash. 40-150 2.8 and TC soon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Whoops, that's right! Here's a nice tool for calculating DOF equivalency: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ensor-size.htm (about halfway down the page)

Quote Originally Posted by phlash46 View Post
    Actually it would be the equivalent of a 24-80 f/5.6 lens in terms of DOF.