Thread: editing raw file in Olympus Master

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default editing raw file in Olympus Master

Before I go insane, perhaps someone can help me. All I want to do is edit one E-M10 raw file in Olympus Master and save it to jpg. But when I try to get it to open in Master, it shows nothing in the preview window. All it does is sit there, showing the thumbnail on the bottom. I tried dragging and dropping, double-clicking, checking, unchecking, etc. and it absolutely will not open the file for editing.

I am a registered user and my name shows as being registered in the Help file.

I have attached a screen snapshot. I'd appreciate any help. I know I can probably use any number of other programs to do the raw edit, but figured I'd just start with the Oly one. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oly_master_snapshot1.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	49264
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: editing raw file in Olympus Master

Have you checked that Olympus Master is at the newest version?

edit: Isn't Olympus Master is rather old and not updated anymore. In that case, it won't support the E-M10. Look at Olympus Viewer 3 instead.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yes, I installed it from the CD I got with the camera, and looked on their website and it seems to be the latest (2.04). However, and this sure seems odd, the date on their website for that version (the latest) is 2007, showing that it has been upgraded for the E-3! What the hell?

Edit: I am beginning to think you have to go thru Olympus Viewer in order to edit RAW files. It seems very odd to me that the camera would come with software that cannot open images from the camera (i.e. like an old version of Master). I know the entire world has gone Lightroom mad, but this is very strange, IMHO. I tried Rawtherapee and it works (no surprise)...

Edit2: Yup, that's what it is. You have to go in thru Olympus Viewer. It then opens the RAW editor. Go figure. I am not sure whether that version of Master was a leftover on my system or got newly installed with the E-M10. Guess it doesn't matter...
    Last edited by RAH; 06-06-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

You haven't got your E-520/E-M10 CD crossed? Olympus Viewer 3 looks OK, but I am in the Lightroom fold myself. There are some nice alternatives out there though.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Yes, I installed it from the CD I got with the camera, and looked on their website and it seems to be the latest (2.04). However, and this sure seems odd, the date on their website for that version (the latest) is 2007, showing that it has been upgraded for the E-3! What the hell?

Edit: I am beginning to think you have to go thru Olympus Viewer in order to edit RAW files. It seems very odd to me that the camera would come with software that cannot open images from the camera (i.e. like an old version of Master). I know the entire world has gone Lightroom mad, but this is very strange, IMHO. I tried Rawtherapee and it works (no surprise)...

Edit2: Yup, that's what it is. You have to go in thru Olympus Viewer. It then opens the RAW editor. Go figure. I am not sure whether that version of Master was a leftover on my system or got newly installed with the E-M10. Guess it doesn't matter...
    Most likely a left-over sitting on your computer. Olympus Master has not been shipped with any new cameras for a while.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

OK, I checked the CD I got with the E-M10. It only has Viewer on it (which works). The Master program is a left-over from my earlier E-520 days, for sure. Damn, it's always something!

I tried Viewer to tweak one raw file and it sure is sloooow. Guess I'll use something else anyway. But at least I feel better now and know that I'm not insane (just kind of dense!). :-) Thanks for the help!
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OK, I checked the CD I got with the E-M10. It only has Viewer on it (which works). The Master program is a left-over from my earlier E-520 days, for sure. Damn, it's always something!

I tried Viewer to tweak one raw file and it sure is sloooow. Guess I'll use something else anyway. But at least I feel better now and know that I'm not insane (just kind of dense!). :-) Thanks for the help!
    Yeah, Viewer is slow as molasses but does seem to dig more image detail out of ORFs that anything else, or at least has the ability to tweak microcontrast in a way that makes them seem more detailed.

But for processing a few hundred shots, yoikes.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've not found Viewer to be of much use for image processing. LR6 is fast, standard, does a good job.

G

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

RAH (06-07-2015)