Thread: Which Wide Angle to use with E300 for Real Estate?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Which Wide Angle to use with E300 for Real Estate?

I have an Olympus E300. Sure, it's a decade old now, but it still produces really great photos. Recently I've been given the opportunity to take some real estate interior shots for the agent that my wife works for, so I jumped right in. Prior to this I just had the standard zoom lenses plus a nifty 25mm prime pancake (which I adore, incidentally), but I knew these wouldn't cut it for wide angle shots. So I invested in a Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual lens (also goes by the brand name Rockinon). I'm really happy with this lens, even if I do have to post process my RAW images through PT Lens to correct converging verticals, but other than that the images are pin sharp! The trouble is that it's just not wide enough. The agent is happy enough with my shots but has directed my attention to the professional ones that have done which look to have about another 20 degrees viewing angle. I think I was misinformed by the sales assistant on the Samyang about the viewport angle. Even with my research it's difficult to determine what I actually have here. I initially thought this lens would give me about 100 degrees. I based this on the E300 being a full frame sensor. But the link that I just found, and posted above, seems to indicate I've only got 76.24 degrees.

So if I want to get into this game properly it looks like I'm up for another lens. There are budget constraints though. I'd like to get out of this for about $500 if possible. What's a good quality truly wide-angle lens within my budget for the Olympus four-thirds (not micro 4/3) mount? I don't mind fully manual lenses like the Samyang, in fact I'm quickly discovering that I actually prefer them.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Which Wide Angle to use with E300 for Real Estate?

The 4/3 11-22mm is an excellent lens for buildings and very well corrected for vertical and horizontal distortion. I have the 7-14, 12-60 also, but prefer the 11-22 for building work. The 12-60 distorts like hell at 12mm, though otherwise a good lens.
    A used 11-22 probably goes for a pretty reasonable price these days.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Rokinon (Samyang, etc) makes a 10mm lens ("Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS") that would certainly be wide enough. I'm thinking you could buy it in some other mount and then use an adapter to mount it on your 4/3 camera. Since it is manual-only anyway, it wouldn't matter if you lost all control on it (still can use aperture priority, of course). I see they have a Pentax K mount, as well as Canikon mounts.

Same with the Samyang 8mm fisheyes, right?

It's been awhile since I've thought about non-micro4/3 cameras, but I think these other mounts can be adapted for regular 4/3 if you go manual only.

Edit: I have successfully adapted old Pentax screw-mount lenses onto my E-520 4/3 camera. The requirement is that the lens have an aperture ring and Depth-of-field switch (to manual stop-down the aperture) - otherwise you have to shoot wide-open only (without screwing around a lot). But of course, Samyangs HAVE an aperture ring and are totally manual. So no problem, as long as you can attach it.
    Last edited by RAH; 06-15-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If you are willing to do a little bit of working in post processing (and more to learn how to do it efficiently), another option can be shooting panoramas with your normal lens, and then making the image as wide as you need.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a sideline business doing the real estate photos for brokers which are used by them for the Multiple Listing Service and also their sales brochures, so I can relate to your request.

I use my E-3 and the Oly 12-60 lens for 90% of those photos. I like the lens because it covers almost all interior and exterior shooting situations that I encounter at a property. Let me add a little insider's tip for your interior shots. Carry a lightweight metal stepladder with you to elevate your shooting position. Just going up a couple of steps really helps to keep the vertical walls straight and gives a superior pov to the photos so they don't look like the regular run of he mill shot. It eliminates a lot of the distortion that was mentioned by the others. And if you can't get the walls straight, it is usually easy to correct in PP.

Good luck.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sfkhooper View Post
    I based this on the E300 being a full frame sensor... I'd like to get out of this for about $500 if possible.
    Four-thirds certainly isn't a full-frame sensor. For your budget, the Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6 is probably what you want as indoor real estate shots really need 20mm (equivalent) focal length or better. You can grab a mint-condition one online for $350ish. At a glance on eBay:

Mint-used
    Auction-used
    Another-mint

I've seen them new at the major retailers for as low as $400, though right now they seem to all be around $550. The good news is that the 4/3 9-18 is CDAF optimized so it will easily transfer to 4/3 if you transition systems later on. I actually prefer the 4/3 version on 4/3 because it stays basically the same size in use unlike the newer version that doubles in length as it extends.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snap View Post
    The good news is that the 4/3 9-18 is CDAF optimized so it will easily transfer to 4/3 if you transition systems later on. I actually prefer the 4/3 version on 4/3 because it stays basically the same size in use unlike the newer version that doubles in length as it extends.
    Yes, I can confirm that the 4/3 9-18 focuses very nicely on an m4/3 body. At least it does on my E-M10. I was pleasantly surprised. Only downside is that the adapter from 4/3 to m4/3 adds extra size and weight (3 oz) to a lens that is already considerably larger than its m4/3 equivalent. But considering the price of the m4/3 9-18, the 4/3 version is the way to go if you are on a budget, IMHO.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32