Thread: Thinking of adding a Oly EM-1 to my bag of Panasonic micro 4/3's (G1-G5-GH3)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Thinking of adding a Oly EM-1 to my bag of Panasonic micro 4/3's (G1-G5-GH3)

Newbie with a question. My first micro 4/3 was a Panasonic G1, loved it, then I upgraded to a G5, loved it more, then I added a GH3 recently, even more love, now to the question, I've been eyeing the Olympus OMD-EM1 and would like to add it to my bag, the price has come down which has made it even more enticing, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be sort of redundant because of my other three micro 4/3's cameras or if it would be a great addition and have features my other cameras just can't do ?? As far as lens go, I have several different length Panasonic lens that would also work on the E-1. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom !!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Bruce Gordon

Default Re: Thinking of adding a Oly EM-1 to my bag of Panasonic micro 4/3's (G1-G5-GH3)

The OMD EM-1 is an extraordinary camera! The twin types of focus make it usable for BIF if you're dealing with large birds,e.g., ospreys, gulls, eagles; not so good for small, fast birds. The picture IQ is exceptional; not so very different from my former Nikon 7100/700. It is customizable beyond belief and, while the set up curve is steep it's with it and becomes second nature quickly. The tap screen changes are amazing as is focus peaking, etc.
    "Insanity is repeating the same process and expecting a different result" - Albert Einstein

Olympus EM-1 and EPL-5, Oly 25, 45, 9-18, 12-40, 60 macro, 14-150, FL-50R flash. 40-150 2.8 and TC soon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Thinking of adding a Oly EM-1 to my bag of Panasonic micro 4/3's (G1-G5-GH3)

Thanks phlash, I have heard that the auto focus on the EM1 is outstanding and super quick.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If you hadn't bought the GH3 it might be a more straight-forward answer. Things that would make the E-M1 make sense:

• Owning Olympus lenses or non-OIS Panasonic lenses. The value of IBIS can't be overstated. I've been able to hand-hold shots down to 1/4 of a second.
    • Owning some of the 4/3 lenses that weren't optimized for CDAF. The E-M1 is the only camera that can use them to their full potential with its on-sensor PDAF.
    • Owning legacy lenses. Again, IBIS is the big thing; however, I do also find Olympus bodies way more usable with adapted glass.

If all you have or intend on having are Panasonic OIS lenses, then there's not much reason for an E-M1 imho. Unless you're rich. If you're rich then I say buy two!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Donnious View Post
    T I have heard that the auto focus on the EM1 is outstanding and super quick.
    That depends on the lens and the situation. There are times when it really struggles, but that has to do with the nature of CD (mirrorless) focus systems compared to PD (DSLR) systems. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but for pure speed, especially with long lenses, the mFT cameras are still a good ways behind the DSLRs.
    The E-M1 is a brilliant camera. If you can accept its limitations, (EVERY camera has limitations!) it is a joy to use and can produce great results. IQ is easily on a par with the D7100 (had one) and above the 7D Mark II (tried one....can't bring myself to buy one....). The IBIS is a dream.

Here are a couple of hand held examples from the E-M1 with a Canon EF 400/5.6L USM attached,

1/160 ISO 800

1/125 ISO 1600
    click to enlarge

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks everyone for your comments, since I did just recently get the GH# and don't plan on buying any Oly lens if were to get the EM1 I've decided to hold off for a while on getting the EM1. Daniel, those are some awesome, outstandingly sharp pictures, as my learning curve progress' I hope I can someday take pictures as clear and sharp. Thanks again all !!