Thread: Second camera

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Second camera

My current set up is the E5 with 7-14; 14-35; 14-50; 50-200 and 50 macro.
    mpMy wife and I have started to have walking holidays in the Lake District in the UK and this last time I took the E5 with the 14-50 alone as I find the full kit too heavy and bulky, especially when you need to have water, water-proofs,, maps etc. with you as well.
    So I am thinking of getting a smaller, fixed lens camera, not to replace my current gear but to use when travelling.
    I want: the flexibility of the E5; the image quality of the E5 as I post on fineartamerica and have sold; a camera small enough to put into a coat pocket; a reasonable wide angle lens for landscapes; and weather proofed.
    The Sony is tempting but I am dubious about that many mp into a very small sensor, and the fiddly evf which could possibly get broken.
    So there is the Panasonic LX-100 which has a 4/3 sensor, but doesn't seem to use all of it, and seems to tick the boxes except weather proofing.
    So my question is do any of you have this camera and if so how do you like it, and if not and you have a travel camera what is it?
    Cheers
    Guy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Second camera

I think the LX-100 should fit the bill. Other alternatives are the Olympus E-M10 with the collapsible kit lens and the Panasonic GM1/GM5. Of course, the image quality will be better than the E-5; the latest generation of the 16Mpx sensor is quite a bit better than the 12Mpx sensor, at least that is my experience.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire,Scotland
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Stewart

I have the LX100 and love it. It will fit in a largish pocket, and has more or less replaced my Olympus XZ-1 + VF-2 as a compact travel camera.
    Stewart

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 + HLD-7 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
    Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 45 | 17 | 60 macro | 75-300 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
    Apple: iMac 27" Retina | 13" MacBook Pro

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I should think that the Panasonic GM5 would be the most obvious choice, plus perhaps the E-M10 with collapsible kit lens, as Tom mentioned. If you want full m43 resolution, it would have to be a camera like this, I should think. Or perhaps a Sony A6000, but the kit lens is supposed to be awful. None is truly pocketable. As far as weatherproof, well, you can't have everything in a tiny package.

The LX100 is OK, I guess, but as you say, it doesn't use the entire m43 sensor, so is much like a Sony RX100 (which is smaller).
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If you didn't need waterproof, I can recommend the Stylus-1/Stylus-1s. It has a 28-300mm equivalent lens (equivalent to 14-150mm on your E-5). It isn't cheap, but it has an electronic viewfinder, Olympus flash support, most of the things you are used to in the E-5, and it collapses down fairly small, and would fit in a jacket pocket. On the downside, it is more expensive that other fixed lens cameras.

Going slightly bigger, you can go with the E-M5/E-M1/E-M5 II and the newly announced 14-150mm lens. I just picked up the 14-150mm II during Olympus's summer sale. Given you have mid-level E-5 glass, it may make sense to go for the E-M1, as that camera with the MMF-3 adapter can focus your existing glass as fast as the E-5. The E-M5/E-M5 II can focus existing 4/3rds glass, but it will be much slower.

The E-M1 is somewhat bigger than the E-M5 if size is an issue, and a little more expensive. Either the E-M5 or E-M10 plus the 14-150mm lens weighs less than the E-5 body by itself.

If you want to go cheaper, you can pick up used E-M5 bodies fairly cheap. However, you probably have to go with new for the 14-150mm II lens. The original version of the lens was not weather sealed, and the weather sealed II version was only announced recently. I had bought the original version of the lens 5 years ago, and use it quite frequently for a vacation lens (usually with the Panasonic 20mm prime in my pocket for low light). This summer, when Olympus USA had a sale on lenses, I picked up the 14-150mm II and I like it.

Now that I have the 14-150mm II and the 12-40mm lenses, I'm finding it harder to bring out the E-5 these days.
    Here is a comparison of the E-5, E-M5, E-M5 II, and E-M1. The E-5 has the 9-18mm lens on it (camerasize.com doesn't have most of the 4/3rds lenses), and the other 3 have the 14-150mm on it:
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#202.6...97,482.97,ha,t

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

griffljg (09-23-2015),Steven R (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am glad Michael mentioned the Stylus 1, as I have been considering it as a travel camera. Definitely lighter than traveling with my E-3. The photos taken with it by Robin Wong really got my attention.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/0...-1-review.html
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

i think weatherproofed very much limits your choices in high IQ compact cameras. if you reconsider that, i heartily recommend the original fuji x100. it is apsc, shirt pocketable, and produces images closest to the ccd 4/3 cameras of any cmos ive used or seen. plus you can pick one up for &400 or so usd. best of all, i think you might find it extremely fun to use, with its analogue controls and ovf/evf hybrid finder.
    Last edited by rbelyell; 09-26-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    Tony
    Panasonic L1 + Leica 14-50/2.8 Vario Elmarit, Oly 50/2 macro & 40-150mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Well the other approach is to carry one of the various rain bags, and protect the camera when you need to. Something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330772197971...84.m1436.l2649

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the replies and suggestions all.
    The camera size comparison is very interesting especially as a friend has moved to Sony and asked me to make him an offer for his em1.
    My reluctance is:
    1. The evf burn problems aired on these pages
    2. It does not look that compact for my needs.
    As for weatherproofing if the camera is small enough it can go into a plastic bag for protection as Michael says, so this might not be a valid concern.
    On the e5 it is a nice feature and on one of our walks the clouds came down and it rained and I just let the camera get wet as I had no where to put it, and it was fine.
    My wife is getting into photography but is put off by large complicated cameras, so this might do double duty.
    Our next trip won't be until the spring, so I have some time to research, and all of your suggestions and experiences are gratefully received.
    Guy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I haven't experienced any of the EVF sunburn problems with the E-M1 myself. Mine is as clean as it was the day I received it. But that's aside. The E-M1 is in my comfort zone on size for handy everyday use, particularly with a couple of smallish lenses, but for me an everyday camera should be simpler and less demanding. My choice for everyday use is a Leica X typ 113: just the right size, utterly simple on controls, excellent ergonomics, outstanding (and fast) 35mm EFoV lens, etc. It's an expensive camera but it does what I want when I want to eschew the larger, heavier, more "technical" cameras like the E-M1.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

We gut back from three weeks in northern Germany, a week in southern Sweden and several days in Hungary. I spent many hours/days in the bright sunshine and didn't have to take any of the usual precautions that I have had to take in the past, precautions that were never really successful. There are no new burn marks on my EVF! My home made IR blocking eyepiece has been totally successful. So at least that problem is solvable, even if Olympus has no interest in solving it themselves.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

as said, the em1 is not compact and does have the evf issues with some users. those are facts, so you either choose to live with them or not. or you pick a compact cam that doesnt have these issues, but that you can pocket in the rain. hate to be a one trick pony, but ive had the x100 i mentioned above since it came out. i also had the em1. on an IQ basis i preferred the x100. on a compactness basis, there is no objective comparison. on an evf basis, imo, the hybrid x100 finder is better in every condition. weather-wise, ive used mine in the rain with no problem. its small, so i keep it dry in my pocket, take it out for a few quick snaps, re-pocket it. no problem.
    Tony
    Panasonic L1 + Leica 14-50/2.8 Vario Elmarit, Oly 50/2 macro & 40-150mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The x100 gets great reviews and Ken Rockwell raves about it.
    i am old enough to love the look of it too.
    the only hesitation I have is the lack of zoom which will mean cropping in pp sometimes.
    It is on the list though.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I have to assume that by "X100," he means the Fuji X100 and not the Panasonic LX100 or the Sony RX100. A paranoid person would HAVE TO conclude that there is some kind of manufacturer collusion going on!
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32