Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade questions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Upgrade questions.

Hello all!

Ive got got a few questions regarding a possible upgrade in my equipment. I wouldn't classify myself as an amateur photographer but more of an enthusiast who sometimes impresses himself with the pictures I take. I think its blind luck really.

Anyhow.
    My current camera is an old Oly E-510 which I purchased years back without even knowing what 4/3 was. I liked the weight, size and had really good luck with prior Olympus cameras so I bought it. I have 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300 lenses for it as well as a 1.4x magnifier.

Looking at the EM 10 Mark II but its a M4/3 system. I have several questions regarding the change so here we go.

1. I know 4/3 to M4/3 adaptors are available for the lenses, do they work well with auto focus? Is there any I'll effects in using the adaptors and do they change the lenses performance at all?

2. Are they a PITA to use?

3. Are the Zuiko Pro lenses worth the up charge? I was thinking about picking up the ED 12-40 f/2.8 to start since I use my 14-42 lens quite a bit now. (I enjoy landscape/scenery photos, living in Colorado makes it easy) then using the adaptor on my larger lenses until money becomes available to upgrade those also.. If that makes any sense..

4. Is there a market for my old stuff or should I just keep it as a second camera?

5. Am I missing anything important? Is there another camera body in or around that 600 price range that would be a better choice?

Thanks
    Darb

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Upgrade questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarbinCo View Post
    Hello all!

Ive got got a few questions regarding a possible upgrade in my equipment. I wouldn't classify myself as an amateur photographer but more of an enthusiast who sometimes impresses himself with the pictures I take. I think its blind luck really.

Anyhow.
    My current camera is an old Oly E-510 which I purchased years back without even knowing what 4/3 was. I liked the weight, size and had really good luck with prior Olympus cameras so I bought it. I have 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300 lenses for it as well as a 1.4x magnifier.

Looking at the EM 10 Mark II but its a M4/3 system. I have several questions regarding the change so here we go.

1. I know 4/3 to M4/3 adaptors are available for the lenses, do they work well with auto focus? Is there any I'll effects in using the adaptors and do they change the lenses performance at all?
    Only the E-M1 works well with the 4/3rds lenses, and some people say some lenses like the 50-200mm actually focus faster than on the E-5. I don't have an E-M1, so I don't have any experience with it.

The other Pen/OM-D cameras will only support the lenses with S-AF focusing, and it will be slower than on your E-510. The 3 lenses you own, will focus faster than some of the other 4/3rds lenses, but the native lenses are much better.

2. Are they a PITA to use?
    Unless you are focusing on static subjects or using the E-M1, yes.

3. Are the Zuiko Pro lenses worth the up charge? I was thinking about picking up the ED 12-40 f/2.8 to start since I use my 14-42 lens quite a bit now. (I enjoy landscape/scenery photos, living in Colorado makes it easy) then using the adaptor on my larger lenses until money becomes available to upgrade those also.. If that makes any sense..
    Yes, the 12-40mm f/2.8 is generally well regarded. I just picked up a used 12-40mm f/2.8 and it now it is my main lens. That being said, the 14-42mm II-R (I don't have experience with the 14-42mm EZ lens) isn't a bad lens, and it is probably on par with the 14-42mm that you have with the E-510. The micro 4/3rds 40-150mm is a favorite target for Olympus price reductions, so you might wait until Olympus lowers the price to $100 from $200. I noticed that KEH sells it used for $80-85.

The 70-300mm is the lens that you might need to keep from the E-510. Note, the E-M10 is a lot lighter than the E-510, and the one time I tried it on my E-M5, I found the lens to be somewhat top heavy. Alternatively, keep the E-510 and use it for the longer lenses until you get micro 4/3rds versions.

Note, the recent Olympus cameras have a 2x zoom option that you can tie to a button, and it might obviate the need for the 75-300mm lens immediately.

4. Is there a market for my old stuff or should I just keep it as a second camera?
    Not really, KEH is selling the 14-42mm and 40-150mm for about $40 each, and the E-520 for $140. I assume if you go through KEH, that they would buy it at 1/2 the price that they would sell it for (I'm just guessing here). Perhaps though you can find a local buyer.

5. Am I missing anything important? Is there another camera body in or around that 600 price range that would be a better choice?
    Well think about used options as well, such as the Olympus outlet store for USA sales: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outl...d-cameras.html or KEH (http://www.keh.com)

B&H looks like it is selling the remainder of the E-M5 mark I's for about $500 with the 14-42mm lens. The E-M5 was introduced about 3 years ago, and it has been replaced by the E-M5 mark II. I picked up a reconditioned E-M5 last year. I did have an issue (EVF went black) that was fixed under the extended warranty (the E-M5's that B&H are selling are presumably listed as new sales, so you would get a year warranty with it, while reconditioned cameras only have a 90 day warranty). The E-M5 has now pretty much become my go-to camera.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

DarbinCo (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Upgrade questions.

Michael,
    Thanks for your reply, it gives me a few things to think about. The em5 looks like a nice unit as well, there's pretty good prices to be had on them too. Does it have the wifi options on it like the series 10 units?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If you keep a dedicated adapter on a 4/3 lens, then using it on a m4/3 camera is not going to be too bad. The 70-300 is CDAF optimized, so it will work somewhat OK an all m4/3 cameras. That said, AF with native lenses is going to be much faster.

And there's another thing... those m4/3 lenses are small. And the cameras are quite small too. Even the 12-40 f/2.8, which is 44mm shorter (not counting the adapter) and 240g lighter than the 70-300mm, on my E-M5 I find it slightly uncomfortable. I mean its OK, but I certainly would not want a lens that is heavier than this one. The 70-300mm with an adapter would actually be just as large as the largest m4/3 lens there is.

So if you're switching to m4/3 you can count on buying all new lenses. This isn't a bad thing, those m4/3 lenses are really excellent, and you will have access to some absolutely wonderful prime lenses that 4/3 lacks. Most people who are disappointed are the ones who own the really expensive 4/3 SHG lenses like the 35-100mm f/2.0.

Now obviously this being an Olympus site, I am going to recommend you go with m4/3 as I believe this is the best combination of size, weight, picture quality, build quality, price, wide open performance, camera operation speed and lens choice you can get. However, that may not be the case for you, especially if you are willing to carry cameras twice the size, and given that you have to pretty much change your whole system, you can go with anything you like.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

DarbinCo (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I recently bought an E-M10, and was a long-time user of an E-520 (switched to Canon DSLRs a few years ago). I have a bunch of the standard grade 4/3 lenses and have tried many of them on the E-M10 with a Vello (B&H brand) adapter.

The only 4/3 lens I have that is terrible on the E-M10 is the 40-150. It takes like 3 seconds to AF. But the others are acceptable, IMHO. For example, one of the ones that I was most hoping to be able to use - the 9-18 - works quite well. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast in focuses. Even the older 14-54MkI focuses fairly quickly.

That said, none of them focuses as quickly as a m4/3 lens. And, as Edmunds mentioned, m4/3 lenses are much smaller. I was able to pick up a m4/3 40-150 f/4.0-5.6 R new for only $120 and it is MUCH smaller than the old 4/3 version (and of course focuses faster). I think that the m4/3 40-150 is packaged in a E-M10 kit sometimes, so if the old version is something you use, you should definitely get the kit that includes the m4/3 version (plus the 14-42 kit lens).

I would like to get a m4/3 9-18, but it is pretty pricey, so for now I'm using the old 4/3 one.

I haven't tried the 4/3 70-300 with my E-M10, since I have better telephoto stuff on my Canon equipment.

The 14-54, as I said, works well AF-wise, but I was kind of disapointed with its sharpness on the E-M10. It seemed less sharp than the m4/3 kit lens, at least in some careful testing I did.

Anyway, I think you would really like the E-M10. As far as selling the E-510, I'd say keep it as a 2nd body, and keep the lenses too because, as Michael says, they probably aren't worth much.

Edit: A nice option for the E-M10 and 14-42 kit lens is the wcon-p01 wide-angle adapter. Gets you down to 21mm equivalent, and is a great accessory if you are traveling light and want a quickly-available ultra-wide option. There is a review here:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...s-tested-16886

Perhaps not a lens that folks with high-grade lenses are interested in, but it is a good budget alternative to the 9-18 (and even if you have a 9-18, you can mount the wcon without a lens-swap.)
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:

DarbinCo (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the posts guys,

I considered going back to a "conventional format" like a canon but I would have to buy new lenses with that too. (and they are beastly in size and weight) so I guess its 6 of one half dozen of the other. The only benefit I can see to doing that would be the ability to use a super telephoto lens, like the ones you see people using during sporting events and wildlife photography. I don't even know what they are or what they are called. I looked thru one up in Yellowstone last week and it was pretty amazing. I had lens envy standing there with my 70-300 trying to get a pic of a grizzly eating on a dead elk at 500 yards..

Maybe the 2x zoom option Michael speaks of would help out in that department. Is it an option on the EM 5 and 10 series bodies? I don't see it in the specs, I may not looking in the right place. Its kinda funny, my 70-300 lens has a 140-600 sticker on it and I've always wondered how that was possible. I'm sure my 510 doesn't have that option.

How's the 12-40 pro lenses coming out of Japan and China? I see you can save a couple hundred off retail when buying them off eBay. Wondering if there's any knock off copies one has to be careful of? They offer returns so I guess its a fairly safe bet. As for the others I could pick them up gently used and save a bunch of cash.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Maybe the 2x zoom option Michael speaks of would help out in that department. Is it an option on the EM 5 and 10 series bodies? I don't see it in the specs, I may not looking in the right place. Its kinda funny, my 70-300 lens has a 140-600 sticker on it and I've always wondered how that was possible. I'm sure my 510 doesn't have that option.
    I don't know anything about a 2x zoom thing that Michael was talking about (maybe some kind of non-optical "zoom"?), but the sticker on the 70-300 lens that said "140-600" was just referring to the 2x "crop factor" that 4/3 sensors have (as do m4/3 sensors), relative to full-frame.
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Michael,
    Thanks for your reply, it gives me a few things to think about. The em5 looks like a nice unit as well, there's pretty good prices to be had on them too. Does it have the wifi options on it like the series 10 units?
    No, the original E-M5 pre-dates Olympus supporting Wifi. I have a Stylus-1 with wifi, and briefly had an AIR A01, and on both of them, I've had problems keeping a connection more than a few feet away from the camera with my Samsung Galaxy S2 (and now S5). I returned the AIR A01, because that camera is pretty useless without wifi support, and I haven't used wifi except for a few tests on the Stylus-1.

But the reason the price is low is presumably Olympus is trying to clear the shelves. Originally, it was over $1,000 for the camera itself, and $1,300 if memory serves for the E-M5 + 12-50mm lens. When I bought mine last year, it was a refurbished camera, and I bought it during a 20% off sale, so I jumped at it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    I don't know anything about a 2x zoom thing that Michael was talking about (maybe some kind of non-optical "zoom"?), but the sticker on the 70-300 lens that said "140-600" was just referring to the 2x "crop factor" that 4/3 sensors have (as do m4/3 sensors), relative to full-frame.
    On the E-M5 manual, on pages 93-94, it mentions the actions that can be assigned to the various buttons (FN1 and FN2 on the camera itself, BFN1 and BFN2 on the HLD-6 battery grip, and LFN1 that are on some lenses like the 12-50mm). One of the actions that you can assign is the 'digi-teleconverter'. Now, Olympus is kind of funny in that you can't assign all actions to any button, each button has a set of actions you can assign to it. and the actions overlap somewhat. I assign FN1 to the digital tele-converter. Now, the way the tele-converter works is it crops to the center, and then re-uprezes the 1/4 of the picture cropped back to the normal resolution. I would have preferred that it just store the picture as a 4MP picture crop, instead of going back to 16MP, but the pictures don't look that bad if you ultimately print normal sized photos or reduce the image for we viewing.

On the E-M10 mark i manual, it is on pages 99-100.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

DarbinCo (10-13-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Using 4/3 glass on a m4/3 body other than an EM1 is acceptable, until you try a native m4/3 lens on that same body. Then you'll be wanting to sell your lenses for native lenses because they focus so much better. It's not only the focus speed but all the focus points you'll gain. For me, that is why I sold off all my lenses (along with gaining a weight/size advantage), even though I own an EM1. You can find used EM1 in the 500-600 range. Heck, new ones are now only $999. The em1 and the 12-40 is my goto combo. Quite often I carry that with my 75mm and rarely do I find a need to use my other lenses.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Michael, thanks for that clarification. I have long felt that digital zoom is something that should be avoided - I mean, isn't it better to do it in post-processing, when you have more control? To me it has always seemed like a manufacturers' trick to fool unsuspecting newbies. IMHO, of course.
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Michael, thanks for that clarification. I have long felt that digital zoom is something that should be avoided - I mean, isn't it better to do it in post-processing, when you have more control? To me it has always seemed like a manufacturers' trick to fool unsuspecting newbies. IMHO, of course.
    Yes and no.

Digital zoom does not give you anything that you can't replicate with post processing. However, in practice I find it useful, because it allows you to frame the picture better in the camera. I also find it useful in that I don't have to crop the picture later in post processing, instead I frame the shot I want while shooting. I tend to hate post processing, so anything I can do to reduce the amount of pp that I do is useful. I find in practice that the digital zoom in my Stylus-1 and E-M5 are good enough to use.

I find I don't often carry the big guns (Wcon-8 + CL-14 clone for the Stylus-1 or 70-300mm + MMF-3 for the E-M5) to get that extra range for the occasional shot that needs the extra telephoto shot. If I'm going into a situation where I know I need every mm, then I will carry them, but for normal every day use where I'm carrying camera(s) in my shoulder bag for a day, I much prefer not to have the extra weight. My normal kit (E-M5, Olympus 12-40mm, Olympus 14-150mm II, Panasonic 20mm I, Olympus 45mm) now weighs a lot less than my previous kit (Olympus E-5, Olympus 11-22mm, Olympus 14-54mm I, Olympus 50-200mm, Olympus EC-14).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

RAH (10-13-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by doofclenas View Post
    Using 4/3 glass on a m4/3 body other than an EM1 is acceptable, until you try a native m4/3 lens on that same body. Then you'll be wanting to sell your lenses for native lenses because they focus so much better. It's not only the focus speed but all the focus points you'll gain. For me, that is why I sold off all my lenses (along with gaining a weight/size advantage), even though I own an EM1. You can find used EM1 in the 500-600 range. Heck, new ones are now only $999. The em1 and the 12-40 is my goto combo. Quite often I carry that with my 75mm and rarely do I find a need to use my other lenses.
    After taking a few days to research, I've just about talked myself into the EM1. Its probably more than I'll ever need but I think I could have it for a long time before I felt I needed to replace it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

For what it's worth in this discussion, I really like the E-M1. I do a lot of field work shooting whales from boats, ships, zodiacs, kayaks, and from shore. I am usually far away from backup resources. I take two of these bodies and overlapping lenses with me. I have a third E-M1 body on order for a trip to Antarctica for an additional backup. I had planned to take the two E-M1s and two E-5 bodies, with grips and lenses for both systems, but that is just too much to carry through airports. Clearly, I don't dare put this stuff into checked bags, so I decided to skip all of the 4/3 stuff, except the Bigma and mmf3 adapter. For the E-M1 bodies, I'll have Oly 75-300 II, Panny 100-300, 9-18, 12-40, Panny 14-140 II and 14-140 I, and maybe the Oly 14-150. If the 300/4 comes out in time, I might get that, too. I am also taking my TG-1 and a couple of GoPros.
    Ken610

4/3: E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    m43:: E-M1 3x, HLD-7 x2, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all stored in a big bolted to wall gun safe!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

After taking a few days to research, I've just about talked myself into the EM1. Its probably more than I'll ever need but I think I could have it for a long time before I felt I needed to replace it.
    Excellent choice. I've had mine since thanksgiving of 2013...and with this new firmware release in this coming November it should get some rather nice upgrades that will keep it on the same step as the em5ii. It might even feel like I'm getting a new camera.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by doofclenas View Post
    Excellent choice. I've had mine since thanksgiving of 2013...and with this new firmware release in this coming November it should get some rather nice upgrades that will keep it on the same step as the em5ii. It might even feel like I'm getting a new camera.
    B&H hooked me up, it will be here on Monday with the 12-40 f2.8 pro lens. Now I need to decide on a second lens or get the adaptor and see how my old lenses do.

doofclenas... What do you ride? (I bet most other forum members here wouldn't have guessed that huh! LOL)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Re: the 2x Digital Teleconverter, I have had some very good results with it. I know it sounds like the old "digital zoom" hoakum (and I guess technically it is) but it works very well. (maybe because they only go to 2x and not 13,000,007x).

I recently bought a used EM1, 12-40 PRO, 50-200SWD w/adapter and am very happy with it all.

Ken: How do you like the Bigma on the EM-1 ? I know I am going to miss having one when eagle season comes back around.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

MetilHed,

I have only played a little with the Bigma on E-M1, and still need to do a lot of testing, both on focus targets and in real life, before I carry it all the way to the bottom of the world. That said, I am pretty happy with my first results under pretty poor weather conditions, so no spectacular results to show yet.

I do have some great shots from E-M1 and 75-300 ii combo. The attached is one of a sequence of Humpback breaches at 300mm about 200 ft from the boat in Monterrey Canyon, California in March of this year. You can see the bubbles from the landing of his previous breach in the near background. This OOC JPG, only re-sized to 1200 pixels wide, and no other changes made for enhancements. Caption added as part of export from LR. I was not shooting RAW that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EM1A0259_edited_2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	49490  
    Ken610

4/3: E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    m43:: E-M1 3x, HLD-7 x2, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all stored in a big bolted to wall gun safe!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ken610 For This Useful Post:

MetilHed (10-15-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great picture Ken.

Im really excited to get this new camera. This last trip back up to Yellowstone earlier this month has re kindled my photography interests in a big way.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DarbinCo For This Useful Post:

ken610 (10-16-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great picture Ken.

Im really excited to get this new camera. This last trip back up to Yellowstone earlier this month has re kindled my photography interests in a big way.

I actually went through similar in the last couple months. I have an E-610, but I had invested in two expensive lenses for it (the 7-14mm and the 35-100). Although they have decreased in value significantly, to me they are still fairly new lenses and an investment of nearly $4000 that I hated to lose use of, even if better options are available now. I also have a EPL5 and the 4/3 adapter so I had some experience with the lousy (but not unusable) focus performance.

I went with the EM1 along with the 12-40/F2.8 as a nearly new kit bought of ebay. I wrestled with it somewhat because we are probably only 1 year from seeing an upgrade to this body, but the price will be much higher of course so this seemed like a good deal.

I'm actually very happy. The 35-100 focuses faster on the EM1 than on the 610 in most cases and makes that great lens now usable for me indoors without flash (due to the much better low light performance of the EM1). I have the 4/3rds 40-150 and it works very well also, and is already pretty light so I have little incentive to get the m4/3 version. With the 12-40 I have a great lens for 90% of what I shoot so rarely do I need another lens, and it goes wide enough that the 7-14mm can be left for special cases. The 35-100 covers most of everything else except high magnification needs or when it is simply too big to carry around.

As others have said, the old stuff isn't worth very much on the resale market. I'll probably hang onto it as backup or to let the kids use. It still takes great photos, you just have to be more selective about the conditions.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielH For This Useful Post:

DarbinCo (10-17-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Daniel,
    I figured the kids could use my old 510 also, it still takes pretty good pictures, far better than the inexpensive p&s cameras they have.

I guess I should look for a 4/3-m4/3 adaptor now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If you don't need weather sealing, you can pick up clone Panasonic DMW-MA1/Olympus MMF-2 adapters for $33 on ebay from a China seller. I was thinking of putting some of my gear for sale after I get back from a trip this Thursday, including a Panasonic DMW-MA1, but at those prices, it may not be worth it for the MA1 with shipping figured into the cost.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Following up, I received today my 3rd E-M1 body. I took a chance on ordering it from an unusual source that I never heard of before. They advertised it at $699! I questioned the salesman on the phone extensively about it being brand new, in original box, not Grey, English manual, all the little caps and covers, battery and charger, cables, CD, and little strobe. He said it was legit, and that I would be able to register it with Oly. I held my breath and gave my card. Free ground shipping from the opposete coast took 2 weeks, but it arrived Saturday when I was not home, so I only got the FedEx ground door tag. It took another two days to get it to a local Kinkos, but they called and I picked it up. Packed well, the only thing I found was that it was body only (what I had ordered) as a take-out from a kit with the 12-40 Pro kit. I put the battery in, set the clock (it was all zeros, not a date from earlier), changed a few settings, and went to the Oly site. It registered just fine, and received the email confirmation from Oly a few minutes later. They had both black and chrome bodies at that price. I worked with John at Funfie.com 866-666-9198 x 323. After I placed the order, many terrible reviews of this store started popping up, along with a few good ones, but my experience was prefect. I will leave them a good review. They are not paying me for this - i just wanted to point this out for anyone wanting one.

Yes, I believe that there is likely to be an E-M1 Mk II in the next several months, but I needed a backup body for Cindy and myself for our Antarctica trip in March, and I wanted plenty of time to thoroughly test this one.
    Ken610

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I think it would be safer to pay using PayPal than giving a credit card number to such an iffy seller. With PayPal, all you give them is your email address, which is pretty safe. Of course, maybe he didn't take PayPal.
    Rich

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:

ken610 (10-21-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yes, RAH, you are correct. I should have done that. PP is tied to my MC, but adds a layer of protection. Next time.

BTW, I did more testing on the new body with a lens on it, and all seems to be perfectly fine. This body will be the one I experiment with next month's FW update, since it will still be under warranty in case something goes wacky.
    Ken610