Thread: Help me with E-30 I.S. issue?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tony

Default Help me with E-30 I.S. issue?

Picked up a E-30 the other day and trying to determine if the IS is working or not. All that I have read says that IS cannot be viewed through the VF like on my OMD-EM1 but that can be viewed and heard in LV. Anyway I switch to LV, hit the OK button for 10X magnification the picture jumps while focusing then for a brief instance stabilizes then returns to jumpy. I do not hear any IS working either. Now when I shut it off I hear a rattle. How can I test to make sure IS is functioning correctly?
    Last edited by rwingsfan; 10-22-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Help me with E-30 I.S. issue?

You didn't mention 1/2 pressing the shutter while using the live view. IIRC, until the recent Pen/OM-Ds, there wasn't an option to run IS continuously and it was only turned on for shooting.

However, using live view on the E-30, auto focus is extremely slow, and it only works on the lenses with contrast detect auto focus (9-18mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm II, 14-54mm II, etc.). Otherwise it needs to flip the mirror to use the standard optical focusing.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    You didn't mention 1/2 pressing the shutter while using the live view. IIRC, until the recent Pen/OM-Ds, there wasn't an option to run IS continuously and it was only turned on for shooting.

However, using live view on the E-30, auto focus is extremely slow, and it only works on the lenses with contrast detect auto focus (9-18mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm II, 14-54mm II, etc.). Otherwise it needs to flip the mirror to use the standard optical focusing.
    Well yes i 1/2 pressed the shutter. This e30 send to focus fine in live view but the question still remains how does one test the IS? I have determined that the VF does not stabilize but it's the LV supposed to? I can't hear any noise from the IS while focusing. I do however hear a rattle when shutting it off and i don't hear it if IS had been shut off. Make sense?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I don't think you can check live view to see if IS is working. I suggest you test by taking phots at a slow shutter speed eg. 1/50s at 100mm and turn IS on and off. With IS on you should get sharper photos.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yup. Very simple!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tony

thanks IS working as it should!!