Thread: E-M1 Battery Drain Questions & New Warranty Trip

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default E-M1 Battery Drain Questions & New Warranty Trip

Does the Live View screen when on use more power than the Super Control Panel?
    Is the drain significant for either compared with turning the screen off.

On another note, my E-M1 is off for it's 3rd trip to Olympus on 3 year warranty which has certainly paid for itself. Suddenly it will not focus in C-AF mode. Switch to S-Af and perfect. Switch back to C-AF, dead. Doesn't matter which lens.
    Oh yes, and also the back of body rubber covering melted off in the hot sun while in use.
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: E-M1 Battery Drain Questions & New Warranty Trip

There is a discussion of suggested setting for OMD cameras here:

http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php...usem5_settings

It's for the E-M5, but it's probably the same.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Does the Live View screen when on use more power than the Super Control Panel?
    Is the drain significant for either compared with turning the screen off.

On another note, my E-M1 is off for it's 3rd trip to Olympus on 3 year warranty which has certainly paid for itself. Suddenly it will not focus in C-AF mode. Switch to S-Af and perfect. Switch back to C-AF, dead. Doesn't matter which lens.
    Oh yes, and also the back of body rubber covering melted off in the hot sun while in use.
    Don
    Sheesh, "body rubber covering melted off in the hot sun"? How hot was it?

I'm glad we don't get temperatures like that around here. A camera that's being thermally stressed like that gives me pause to think of why it might have been having so many other problems, Don.

Most of the power consumption of the LCD is coming from the illuminating elements, which are pretty much the same whether it's displaying the SCP or Live View. I've not seen a significant difference in power consumption between them.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I almost never use the LCD as I would have to have a pair of reading glasses with me to see it! I have it off except when I need to go into a menu. Everything else I do through the EVF. Much better and you can really see the picture and info without having to squint and find some shade. I average between 600 and 700 shots per battery.
    from the link:
    "you CANNOT view an image in playback mode in the EVF!! Please Olympus fix this up!"
    They did!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sheesh, "body rubber covering melted off in the hot sun"? How hot was it?

I'm glad we don't get temperatures like that around here. A camera that's being thermally stressed like that gives me pause to think of why it might have been having so many other problems, Don.

Most of the power consumption of the LCD is coming from the illuminating elements, which are pretty much the same whether it's displaying the SCP or Live View. I've not seen a significant difference in power consumption between them.

G
    Hi Godfrey, it was in a game park in Africa, so pretty much as bad as you get. But still, it is a Pro body.
    Thanks for the power thoughts,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I almost never use the LCD as I would have to have a pair of reading glasses with me to see it! I have it off except when I need to go into a menu. Everything else I do through the EVF. Much better and you can really see the picture and info without having to squint and find some shade. I average between 600 and 700 shots per battery.
    from the link:
    "you CANNOT view an image in playback mode in the EVF!! Please Olympus fix this up!"
    They did!
    Certainly more than I get Daniel.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hi Godfrey, it was in a game park in Africa, so pretty much as bad as you get. But still, it is a Pro body.
    Thanks for the power thoughts,
    Don
    Well, that is pretty extreme, even pro bodies have their limits. I think there's a bit in the owners manual on recommended operating temperature range.

I hope you got some outstanding photos on the safari! :-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Well, that is pretty extreme, even pro bodies have their limits. I think there's a bit in the owners manual on recommended operating temperature range.

I hope you got some outstanding photos on the safari! :-)

G
    Well, I'm not really am Oly whiner Godfrey. More likely polishing my story in case the assessor gets picky
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, I'm not really am Oly whiner Godfrey. More likely polishing my story in case the assessor gets picky
    I like that. :-)

In resetting the Time on all my cameras yesterday (flip over to PST from DST ...), I ended up snapping a pic or two with each to verify that I had the time and date set correctly. I was struck with now similar overall the E-1, E-M1, and Leica M-P shutters are with respect to overall noise the feel, but the timbre and noise pattern of these three cameras are otherwise completely different ... and all very nice!

G