Thread: Help needed viewing Olympus .mov files please

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Help needed viewing Olympus .mov files please

Dear all,

Hope someone can help me because I cannot play the .mov files from my EM-1 on my PC. Not much of a movie person but took some today.

Quick Time Player just gives me a blank black screen.

Windows Media Player will not open the file telling me "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Viewer 2 was no use. For a start it just shows me a blank white icon. When I try to open a movie it tells me I have to plug in an Olympus camera that supports .mov etc. once only. Well obviously I plugged in the EM-1 the movie came from but I still get this message over and over. Then Viewer seems to spawn a Windows Media Player window and I am back to where I started with cannot play file etc.

I read an online suggestion that Viewer 3 would work and have downloaded and installed this. It does at least show me a still icon which I recognise as belonging within the movies but otherwise does no more than Viewer 2.

I have read a couple of suggestions to just change the file extension from .mov to .mp4 but this does not work for me

I have read suggestions that I need a codec but these seem mostly to be purveyed by dodgy websites that will download all sorts of trouble as well. There is a Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) for odd cameras and devices which looked promising although it gives no indication of which extra devices it will support in advance of actually downloading it. I dutifully downloaded and installed this (the x86 version as I am running a 32bit Windows 7 obvious aint it!). Sadly no change whatever.

There are quite a few comments online about the Olympus specification for .mov files being unusual (polite version is enhanced, rude version is unprintable on a polite forum like this).

Obviously I am doing something incredibly stupid but whatever I am doing wrong I am absolutely astounded that Olympus software will not open an Olympus movie! Let alone that Olympus should use a format that no-one else can read.

In all my years of banging my head against walls with intractable software problems (and I worked as a programmer for a couple of years) this one has to take the biscuit.

Can anyone help me? I fear the answer will be to buy a newer computer but I hate the process of setting up a new machine and moving everything across to a new one. The other solution I can think of is to stop taking movies!

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Help needed viewing Olympus .mov files please

Hi Mike,

The few times I have taken .mov with my E-M1 I have been able to view and edit the files in Viewer 3 with no problem. They are also playable with VLC, my favorite video player. Have you tried to play the files in VLC?
    Win 7/32 bit is for sure not the problem. I run 7/64 bit. Maybe you could put a small sample on dropbox or some other file sharing site and I could try ande play it on my machine. Worth a try.
    See if you can play these after downloading. One is a .mov and one is an mp4
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu4r22qpo7...piece.mov?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkoojcz87i...k%202.mp4?dl=0
    Good luck, mate!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Daniel

Many thanks for these thoughts. Not quite so simple I am afraid as there are numerous flavours of .mov. I can open the version you have posted (and the .mp4) but not the version from my EM-1. My wife has a laptop running WIndows 8 (very slowly) which can whilst her desktop, similar to mine, cannot. I could try VLC but I want to share these movies with others and want to be reasonably sure they will be able to read them - I cannot ask them to go loading different viewers jsut to look at my movies. If I can open them somehow I can save them in a more standard (but lower performance) format and be happier that others will be able to see them.

Another twist to the tale ...

I can open modern .orf files with Viewer 3 but not Viewer 2 or Master 2. I can open older .orf files from my E-30 in all three. Not sure if this is related.

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mike,
    The newer cameras of all companies often require newer software, which forces you to update, sometimes at cost (Lightroom!), when you move to a newer camera. The newer programs will all open the older camera's files because the profiles etc. already exist.
    Perhaps there is something in your movie recording settings that isn't right??. Try different settings. Also, try and upload a sample so I can try it here.

The samples I posted were taken with my E-M1 and as I remember the mp4 was converted from .mov in Viewer 3.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Daniel

For brevity of uploading herewith tiniest scrap. Just me turning video on and off in a blizzard. You might see a tuft of grass in the snow.MBH02970.MOV

BTW I can replay in camera all the half dozen video files I took and others I took months ago. As far as I am aware EM-1 video settings are as they were ex factory. I have updated firmware to v1.2 but not yet beyond that.

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Downloaded it and it plays fine in VLC and in Viewer 3. I converted it to mp4 and it also plays in both. Maybe try a clean install of Viewer 3 after de-installing Viewer 2...?

Lovely weather you are having there...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Plays fine for me in Windows Media Player (Win7/64bit).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by MetilHed View Post
    Plays fine for me in Windows Media Player (Win7/64bit).
    won't open for me! but then I don't use or have Viewer 3 loaded since I hate it. Viewer 3 probably contains the proper codec for Windoz.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I agree with Daniel about the VLC video player. You should at least download the latest version of VLC and try it. I moved to it a couple of years ago and it played a lot of files that would not play in the Microsoft Media Player.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I hate Media Player.... along with IE! happy enough with Windows 7/64, but the side dishes I can do without!

Any luck yet, Mike?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You can try both the latest Quicktime Player or VLC. I use both. Also, some computers struggle with HD playback. I can play HD files on windows...but they drop frames and lag horribly. They work just fine if I load them into Adobe Premiere or Lightroom.
    Tony
    UnlockingOlympus.com (my ebooks and olympus presets and tutorials)

TonyVentourisPhotography.com (my commercial photography)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank-you one and all for the suggestions. I am afraid something called the working week got between me and replying earlier. I have managed what I would call a work around. Both my son's Windows 8 machine and my work Windows 7 (64bit) machine can read these files. My work machine was set to use VLC by default so I have tried this. I still feel there is a fundamental problem that is eluding me regarding Windows 7 (32bit) and a missing driver or something. Annoying as it ought to be soluble. What is really baffling is I could read Daniel's file from an E-M1 but not my file from an E-M1! I guess the pragmatic answer is to use my work machine for the next few years till I upgrade my home one. Many thanks.

Mike

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mike,
    Have you tried a different memory card? Just a thought....
    And what about your graphic card driver? Up to date?