Thread: E-3, e-30 worth trying to sell?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default E-3, e-30 worth trying to sell?

I have two E-M1 bodies, an e-30, an e-3, and an e-1 (all have battery grips), and 3 point and shoots. How many cameras does one man need?!?

I was thinking about selling the e-3 and e-30, but it looks like they are only fetching $200-$250 in the used market and around $40 for the battery grips. Both bodies are in good shape and each has about 25K shutter count.

I almost feel like I'd be giving them away at those prices, but the market is what it is. One of my thoughts are that it's still not a bad idea to have a backup for my backup when I'm shooting weddings and I also wonder if there's even much of a market for either body and if it's worth spending the time to take photos, find all the accessories, and write an ad.

Have any of you found yourself in a similar situation where you have more bodies than you really need, but were reluctant to let them go?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-3, e-30 worth trying to sell?

I have my E-3 and 5 with 1 HLD-4, and a EM-1with the HLD-7, and a slew of 4/3rds HGs and SHGs. and the 12-40 and 40-150 Pro m4/3rds lenses
    I decided long ago that since I was not in need of cash I'd keep all the old 4/3rds gear. I have gotten good use out of it all, and even though they technically have depreciated, and have lost much of their trade in value, they work just as well as the day I purchased them, and I just wont cash them in for peanuts!

I just so happened to shoot and process some art reproduction files (RAW), of my wifes art today with the E-3 and 14-35 SWD, which is what they have pretty much relegated for.
    I still love that camera, and actually still prefer it over the E-5 !
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have a 30 and I am keeping it for backup. I even still use it sometimes. It still works very well and as long as you can keep th ISO down to 400 and under, it can still perform.
    I would keep a 30 over a 3. Better sensor, same as the E-5 I think.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yup, exactly. Though I have long moved on from 4/3 myself, if it were not for the high cost of lenses for the system, I might pick up a body, even if just for old times sake. They work as well as when they were new, which is no bad thing. I consider the system to be dead and abandoned, but it was a great ride while it lasted, and it ushered in the new way, the Micro 4/3 way. Who would have anticipated todays landscape twelve years ago? Keep them. Perhaps in another ten years they will be valuable museum pieces? Who can tell?
    To find the answers - question them!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I have a 30 and I am keeping it for backup. I even still use it sometimes. It still works very well and as long as you can keep th ISO down to 400 and under, it can still perform.
    I would keep a 30 over a 3. Better sensor, same as the E-5 I think.
    I am debating to start doing professional work...wedding, engagements, portraits and what not with E5 and E30.
    I dont have any f/2 zooms for low depth of field work and know that iso1600 is way overstretching this sensor capabilities but i would team up with another guy and with bunch of flash guns and a guy who would help with lights i believe it would be doable.

We are both in mirrorless but since i have these dslrs and those cameras look more "professional" they would be my way of attack.

If i could choose i would go with d620 and f/2.8 zooms but we dont have those for now.

What do yu think about it?
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I have shot weddings and portraits with the e-3 and e-30 and all my clients have been very happy with the results. I'm very comfortable shooting up to 800 ISO with either, but would not do 1600 with the e-3 and would only do it with the e-30 if I absolutely had to. I don't have an e-5, but it is supposed to have an extra stop of usable ISO, so you should be OK up to ISO 1600. I now use the E-M1 and don't think twice about shooting at 1600 ISO. The 12-60 and 50-200 are the only 4/3 lenses you have that would be appropriate for most weddings (low light). I'm not familiar enough with the GH-1 and the m4/3 lenses you have to say whether those would be suitable backups. You should have a backup for every important piece of gear that you would use if you're going to shoot weddings.

I could care less if my E-M1 looks less "professional" than the e-3 or e-30 (or cameras that guests bring for that matter). People don't ask to see my camera when they consider hiring me, the want to see examples of my work. Once I show up for the job, as long as I produce the same level of work for them, that's all that matters.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Worth trying to sell?

Absobloominglutely! Think how happy it makes ppl like me. Able to afford an E-30
    Do onto others etc. I gave away my E-500 to my daughter in law.

Just think about it. Some guy, somewhere, sure made two ppl very happy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have made a simple rule - if I don't use it for a year, it has to go.

I do keep some items of sentimental value, but the problem with keeping old electronics is just that there's so many of them. If you keep everything just cause it isn't worth anything much, you risk running over your storage.

Honestly, if you have two E-M1 bodies, I'd just keep the E-1 for sentimental reasons.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

James Pilcher (03-20-2016)