Thread: Issues with E-M1 Live Control

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Issues with E-M1 Live Control

I rarely use Live View. A while back I tried it and found I couldn't get into Live Control. P.18 of the manual states, "Press OK to display the live control". I press OK and all I get is the Super Control Panel. In most other respects the live view screen looks and functions just like the EVF screen. I simply can't get up the bottom horizontal bar and the vertical right hand bar that one is supposed to get in Live View. I have totally reset the camera and updated to V4.1. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Issues with E-M1 Live Control

I just found the solution to my problem at http://photolisticlife.com/2013/10/1...m1-user-guide/ . There is a check box to select either Live Control or the SCP at Custom Menu D > Control Settings > Exposure Mode . This damn camera is way too complex. One shouldn't have to be a forensic computer analyst to take photos.
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I just found the solution to my problem at http://photolisticlife.com/2013/10/1...m1-user-guide/ . There is a check box to select either Live Control or the SCP at Custom Menu D > Control Settings > Exposure Mode . This damn camera is way too complex. One shouldn't have to be a forensic computer analyst to take photos.
    I am with you here. I have been reading the manual and have got to grips with the basic functions I need and I will delve into the more complex stuff later, if I consider them useful.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

People have been complaining about Olympus's complex and confusing menus for years and yet the company never does anything about it, it seems. I always kind of figured it was complex because it had to be, with so many options in the cameras nowadays, and the Oly menus probably weren't any worse than any other cameras.

However, I recently bought a Panasonic GM5 (m4/3 small camera), so I find myself switching a lot between the new GM5, my Olympus E-M10, and my Canon DSLRs. Well, here's the thing - the Olympus menus really ARE much harder to navigate and figure out, IMHO. The Panasonic camera has many of the same features, but it seems much easier to navigate thru the menus, and you never find yourself in a place you didn't expect to be, which often happens with the Oly. Grrrr!
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I may be too experienced with the Olympus control design to provide an unbiased view; I do have extensive experience with other cameras that I find far more difficult to understand the logic and menu layouts with. To me, the E-M1 menu is pretty logical, if extensive.

The most useful tactic I've found is to go to the pages at the back of the manual that articulate all the configuration defaults first and read them through thoroughly. If you do it with the camera in hand, even better. This gives you both familiarity with the nomenclature that Olympus uses in talking about the options and controls while also helping you to establish the geography of the menu system. Once you get the gestalt of the nomenclature and geography, reading the manual becomes much easier and more informative, more easily remembered.

I also found it a useful exercise to create a template to record my settings. Again, this helped me learn the names and geography of the menus, and it's also quite handy to have when major firmware updates are installed as the camera is often returned to the factory default setup when you do that. It's much faster to have a cheat sheet that lets you just walk through all the menu settings from top to bottom and reset your favorite configuration without having to try to remember it in detail.

My template is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf if you want to use it. It may be slightly out of date since new settings were added in firmware v4 and I haven't updated it yet.

G

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

Steven R (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

That template looks pretty useful. Thanks!

I think the thing that confuses me a lot with the Oly menus is that I am never sure about the navigation - for example, whether I can "wrap around" to the top of a long menu by going down when I am at the end. Sometimes it seems it does it, while other times it seems I wind up in some other area entirely. With the Panasonic menu, first off it very helpful tells you what page of a long scrolling menu you are on (e.g. 4 of 7), plus it seems to always wrap around at the top and bottom.

Also, when I want to go back up a level, it doesn't seem that the left-arrow always does it the same way. I suppose that it does, but I have never mastered it.

Can you articulate a hard and fast rule about how the navigation arrows work within the menus, Godfrey. I don't mean this as a challenge, I am just asking, because if you could it might help.

Part of this is not using Oly cameras for a few years and now getting back to them, and they have yet deeper menus.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    That template looks pretty useful. Thanks!

I think the thing that confuses me a lot with the Oly menus is that I am never sure about the navigation - for example, whether I can "wrap around" to the top of a long menu by going down when I am at the end. Sometimes it seems it does it, while other times it seems I wind up in some other area entirely. With the Panasonic menu, first off it very helpful tells you what page of a long scrolling menu you are on (e.g. 4 of 7), plus it seems to always wrap around at the top and bottom.

Also, when I want to go back up a level, it doesn't seem that the left-arrow always does it the same way. I suppose that it does, but I have never mastered it.

Can you articulate a hard and fast rule about how the navigation arrows work within the menus, Godfrey. I don't mean this as a challenge, I am just asking, because if you could it might help.

Part of this is not using Oly cameras for a few years and now getting back to them, and they have yet deeper menus.
    With the E-M1,

- the main menus cycle
    - when you are in the custom (cog) submenus, the cycle goes through all the submenus (from cog-A to cog-K)
    - moving back up a level is usually done by pressing the menu button. Left-arrow works sometimes but not in all cases.

Often times, if an item I want is close to the bottom of a particular cog menu, it's faster to go to the next cog menu and then back up.

Fun fun fun ...

G

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

RAH (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I may be too experienced with the Olympus control design to provide an unbiased view; I do have extensive experience with other cameras that I find far more difficult to understand the logic and menu layouts with. To me, the E-M1 menu is pretty logical, if extensive.

The most useful tactic I've found is to go to the pages at the back of the manual that articulate all the configuration defaults first and read them through thoroughly. If you do it with the camera in hand, even better. This gives you both familiarity with the nomenclature that Olympus uses in talking about the options and controls while also helping you to establish the geography of the menu system. Once you get the gestalt of the nomenclature and geography, reading the manual becomes much easier and more informative, more easily remembered.

I also found it a useful exercise to create a template to record my settings. Again, this helped me learn the names and geography of the menus, and it's also quite handy to have when major firmware updates are installed as the camera is often returned to the factory default setup when you do that. It's much faster to have a cheat sheet that lets you just walk through all the menu settings from top to bottom and reset your favorite configuration without having to try to remember it in detail.

My template is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf if you want to use it. It may be slightly out of date since new settings were added in firmware v4 and I haven't updated it yet.

G
    Thanks for the PDF Godfrey. It's brilliant. In the past, as a means of learning, I often set up cameras more or less as recommended by some of the expert blogs. However, the current crop of cameras have reached a level of settings complexity and interactions that this is fraught with danger. I suspect that some seemingly benign comment somewhere led me to make a change deep in the bowels of the menu structure that I had forgotten about and led to my dilemma of loosing Live Control. Incidentally, I had the camera in at Oly Hospital to fix the loss of Live Control and also another issue I had with the occasionally corrupt raw files. It tool me a number of attempts to explain the problem. Ultimately they replaced the main circuit board and mode dial but I still couldn't get into Live Control until I stumbled upon the site I mentioned above. So it seems even the Oly technician wasn't aware that the Live Control issue was just a matter ticking a check box deep down in the menu structure.
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Thanks for the PDF Godfrey. It's brilliant. In the past, as a means of learning, I often set up cameras more or less as recommended by some of the expert blogs. However, the current crop of cameras have reached a level of settings complexity and interactions that this is fraught with danger. I suspect that some seemingly benign comment somewhere led me to make a change deep in the bowels of the menu structure that I had forgotten about and led to my dilemma of loosing Live Control. Incidentally, I had the camera in at Oly Hospital to fix the loss of Live Control and also another issue I had with the occasionally corrupt raw files. It tool me a number of attempts to explain the problem. Ultimately they replaced the main circuit board and mode dial but I still couldn't get into Live Control until I stumbled upon the site I mentioned above. So it seems even the Oly technician wasn't aware that the Live Control issue was just a matter ticking a check box deep down in the menu structure.
    You're welcome.

Yes, it's very difficult to remember all and every option in modern cameras. That's why I like the cheat sheet ... It helps me know what's there, even if I only very infrequently change or use it. :-)

G