Thread: Nostalgia....Dashed!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Nostalgia....Dashed!

Poking about in the back of my camera cupboard, I came across my E-330 body, a camera I used for a couple of years and grew fond of.
    So, after charging the battery and bolting on my ZD50-200, I took off to the park for a wallow in nostalgia.
    First thing I noticed was the VF; like looking through a diminishing tunnel. Playing with the live view which was a major first at the time. Well, bloody awkward!
    Took a few shots of nearby objects, it felt quite good though a little slow to focus.
    A shot or two of running objects, and the elapsed time between pressing the shutter button and the shutter clacking, well, it took aeons with usually a too late result.
    Then, a shot of a distant vista, buildings and construction cranes on the horizon. The 50-200 didn't want to know! Nada. No focus. No movement. So after several attempts at halfway subjects, it slowly got the idea and deigned to progress from them to focus on the horizon. Painful. The ZD50-200 focuses much faster and more reliably on my E-M1.
    Opportunity! A helicopter buzzes above the trees, I'm instantly onto it but all the camera shows is a beautiful smooth bokeh. No movement of the lens at all. Try, try, try, nothing.
    The same noise again, a second machine. Being crafty, a quick focus on an in-between tree, then the helicopter and 4 perfectly in focus S-AF images!
    Back home, most of the images were quite acceptable with just minor tweaks. I won't use it again though.
    It brought home to me just how much we have progressed in a relatively short time in the ease of shooting images.
    Cheers,
    Don

Postscript. I took the EM1 with the 50-200ZD to the same place this morning, and the performance was like chalk and cheese. The maximum focus time would have been 1 second, mostly much quicker and focus on horizon objects almost instant, with only a small hunt once or twice elswhere. As usual, the 50-200 images were extremely sharp. Moving subjects picked up quickly.
    Just after I started, I glanced to the ground and 3m in front of me were two magpies sorting about in the leaves, in spite of me with a long lens and two dogs at my feet. Couldn't believe it! I thought they would spook so quickly shot off a few, not having time for any settings. The shutter speed was down to 1/20th and 1/30th sec, so there is a tiny bit of movement in the images. Nothing special other than a magic moment with those feisty birds. Even my rabbit big game killing dogs didn't make a move on them. They have been attacked before!
    Cheers,
    Don

Attachment 49765

Attachment 49766
    Last edited by Don Baldwinson; 04-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Baldwinson For This Useful Post:

BobT (04-11-2016),dh202 (04-11-2016),griffljg (04-11-2016),RAH (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Nostalgia....Dashed!

Too funny about your poor dogs. Very nice shots! I know what you mean...I took my E-500 out because I can't do the E-3 weight (carpal tunnel) and my EM-10 battery was charging. It was painfullly slow and higher ISO images were very meh.
    kerry
    OMD-EM10.2 |
    flickr site
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. --Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

Good morning (from Germany),

As I own a few 4/3rds lenses, I use a Fotodiox Pro adapter with an EPL-7. The auto focus speed is abysmal. What adapter are you using with your EM1?

Thanks,
    Jesse

Cameras
    Olympus: E-300
    Olympus: EPL7

Lenses and Stuff
    Olympus: 14-45, 14-54Mk-1, 40-150Mk-1, 35, EX-25, EC-14, HLD-3, ME-1, & RM-CB1
    Fotodiox: Pro 4/3 to m4/3 adapter
    Sigma: 70-200 (m4/3) 19, 30, & 60mm f/2.8 lenses

Lighting
    Olympus: FL-50
    Altman: 650 watt Fresnel
    Smith-Victor: (2) 720SG focusing floodlights
    FJ Westcott: (2) TD-5 Spiderlites

Photos
    Ask me

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cifcap View Post

As I own a few 4/3rds lenses, I use a Fotodiox Pro adapter with an EPL-7. The auto focus speed is abysmal. What adapter are you using with your EM1?

Thanks,
    I imagine it doesn't matter what adapter you use on the E-M1 for most lenses in good weather, as the adapter is probably just passes the control/commands through to the camera. There are some threads over the years, that state wide angle lenses are problematical on some adapters due to small differences in tolerances, and it shows up in the image quality of wide angle shots. If you are going in wet areas, with the weather sealed HG/SHG lenses, you do need the official MMF-3 adapter, since that is weather sealed.

The difference is the E-M1 is specifically designed to auto focus classic 4/3rds lenses fast using phase detect auto focusing in addition to the contrast detect auto focusing used on the other micro 4/3rds cameas. The other cameras do not have the additional sensors to do the fast focusing. It will be interesting to see when the E-M1 mark II is announced, whether it will keep the PD-AF sensors, or whether the E-M1 mark I will be the only camera to have it.

If you use some of the late model SG lenses (and 14-54mm mark II) on cameras other than the E-m1 and have all of the lens firmware updates installed, the focusing goes from really bad to bad (IMHO). My memory says that the 14-42mm, 40-150mm mark II, 9-18mm, 70-300mm were the lenses to feature some support for CD-AF. The 14-54mm mark II was the only HG lens to support CD-AF. The 18-180mm did not support CD-AF. I don't remember if the 35mm macro or the 25mm lens supported CD-AF. I think the Leica 25mm lens may have supported CD-AF.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cifcap View Post

Thanks,
    Hi Jessie, I use the original MMF-2 and also another for carrying 2 cameras from EBay (China) Electronic Lens Adapter. I can't remember the name but it was cheaper and works just as well.
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    There are some threads over the years, that state wide angle lenses are problematical on some adapters due to small differences in tolerances, and it shows up in the image quality of wide angle shots.
    I had this problem trying to use a 4/3 9-18 with my E-M10, using a Vello (B&H brand) adapter. I mentioned it in a thread I started a few months ago. On another forum, after much discussion, the consensus seems to be that my adapter is "out-of-plane" - i.e. it isn't perfectly aligned, so a lens mounted on it will have poor image quality on the edges. Several folks said that this had happened to them, but it only was noticeable with a very wide lens (like the 9-18). And indeed, when I zoom in with the 9-18, the image improves on the edges, and with other lenses (like the 14-54), it is good.

I think I would definitely buy an Oly or a Panazonic adapter if I were going to try to use my old 9-18 with the E-M10. Since I bought a m4/3 9-18, it doesn't much matter to me, however.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

Thanks Micheal!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    I imagine it doesn't matter what adapter you use on the E-M1 for most lenses in good weather, as the adapter is probably just passes the control/commands through to the camera. There are some threads over the years, that state wide angle lenses are problematical on some adapters due to small differences in tolerances, and it shows up in the image quality of wide angle shots. If you are going in wet areas, with the weather sealed HG/SHG lenses, you do need the official MMF-3 adapter, since that is weather sealed.

The difference is the E-M1 is specifically designed to auto focus classic 4/3rds lenses fast using phase detect auto focusing in addition to the contrast detect auto focusing used on the other micro 4/3rds cameas. The other cameras do not have the additional sensors to do the fast focusing. It will be interesting to see when the E-M1 mark II is announced, whether it will keep the PD-AF sensors, or whether the E-M1 mark I will be the only camera to have it.

If you use some of the late model SG lenses (and 14-54mm mark II) on cameras other than the E-m1 and have all of the lens firmware updates installed, the focusing goes from really bad to bad (IMHO). My memory says that the 14-42mm, 40-150mm mark II, 9-18mm, 70-300mm were the lenses to feature some support for CD-AF. The 14-54mm mark II was the only HG lens to support CD-AF. The 18-180mm did not support CD-AF. I don't remember if the 35mm macro or the 25mm lens supported CD-AF. I think the Leica 25mm lens may have supported CD-AF.
    Jesse

Cameras

Lenses and Stuff

Lighting

Photos
    Ask me

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Hi Jessie, I use the original MMF-2 and also another for carrying 2 cameras from EBay (China) Electronic Lens Adapter. I can't remember the name but it was cheaper and works just as well.
    Don
    Thanks Don!
    Jesse

Cameras

Lenses and Stuff

Lighting

Photos
    Ask me