Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M5 II ...... selfi focus issue

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Olympus OM-D E-M5 II ...... selfi focus issue

I am an experienced photographer but cannot get a focused self portrait out of the the E-MII.
    I am using 12-40mm Pro lens set at 40mm with 12 second timer and have tried every AF setting I can think of and every shot is out of focus.
    I am probably missing something obvious . Why doe CF not work for instance ?

Any help resolving this extremely frustrating problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 II ...... selfi focus issue

Quote Originally Posted by wesseli View Post
    I am an experienced photographer but cannot get a focused self portrait out of the the E-MII.
    I am using 12-40mm Pro lens set at 40mm with 12 second timer and have tried every AF setting I can think of and every shot is out of focus.
    I am probably missing something obvious . Why doe CF not work for instance ?

Any help resolving this extremely frustrating problem would be most appreciated.
    Why not use the Olympus Share app if you have a phone or tablet. Very easy to setup with the wireless connection. Then you can focus and shoot including making exposure adjustments, while seeing what is going on on the tablet screen in your hands.

-----

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
    Why not use the Olympus Share app if you have a phone or tablet. Very easy to setup with the wireless connection. Then you can focus and shoot including making exposure adjustments, while seeing what is going on on the tablet screen in your hands.

-----
    OK cool I'll try that

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Robert's suggestion is a good one.

But I'm a little mystified about the problem you are having. Are you saying that if you use the most obvious selfi technique for your camera:

1) position the tilting LCD screen so that is viewable from IN FRONT of the camera,
    2) set the self-timer to 12 seconds
    3) then walk around in front of the camera and position yourself so that you are correctly positioned in the LCD screen

you do NOT get a properly focused result?

There seems to me to be no reason at all why this technique should not work, unless you are too close to the lens (closer than the minimum focus distance). I have used it myself with my Canon DSLR and, I mean, why wouldn't it work? It is essentially doing the same thing Robert suggested but using the LCD and self-timer (instead of wireless connection and tablet).
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Have you tried to take a photo of someone else, with yourself behind the camera? With the same camera-subject distance as you would use when taking the self-portrait?

Also. what is the shutter speed? Is it so slow that you get subject movement?

Finally, is IS on? You can try to turn it off.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You should turn face - priority on in SCP (super control panel). Regarding focusing mode, I'd also use S-AF focusing mode (single shot AF, no need for C-AF for a selfie IMO + it's much more reliable for relatively static subjects).
    & if it still doesn't work; then it's something wrong with the camera or lens.
    I hope this helps.
    Nikolas

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Robert's suggestion is a good one.

But I'm a little mystified about the problem you are having. Are you saying that if you use the most obvious selfi technique for your camera:

1) position the tilting LCD screen so that is viewable from IN FRONT of the camera,
    2) set the self-timer to 12 seconds
    3) then walk around in front of the camera and position yourself so that you are correctly positioned in the LCD screen

you do NOT get a properly focused result?

There seems to me to be no reason at all why this technique should not work, unless you are too close to the lens (closer than the minimum focus distance). I have used it myself with my Canon DSLR and, I mean, why wouldn't it work? It is essentially doing the same thing Robert suggested but using the LCD and self-timer (instead of wireless connection and tablet).

this worked when I was close to the zoom lens set on wide but will not focus set at 40mm ....Smart Phone app works great .... perfect focus with Face Priority

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Glad the app worked for you.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

In the super control panel, select the shutter box (just under the AF box). Scan across to "Custom Self-timer". Press INFO. In "Timer" select the required self timer interval, say 12s. In "Frame" select 1x (or more if you wish more frames). "Interval Time" doesn't matter if you have Frame on 1x. The important thing is that you have "Every Frame AF" set to ON. It will then do an AF just before shutter release. Yes I know, why is it so difficult?
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R