Thread: Camera lenses stolen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default Camera lenses stolen

I have my OMD-E5 and some lenses stolen while traveling by train, it is any way to track my camera or lenses in the internet?

I used stolencamerafinder.com with out results.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Camera lenses stolen

Ouch! There are several services which search for lost cameras/lenses. They use various iterations of the serial number search.

When was your camera stolen? Assuming it was not taken for personal use, the thief has to fence or auction the camera, then it has to be purchased, then the buyer has to take pictures AND post them to social media. Finally, there are billions of pictures posted to flickr, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc, so the search engines will not necessarily locate them right away.

It's not likely to be instant, and some people export pictures for web use with EXIF data erased. Odds are against you. A surprising number of cameras are recovered, however. Make sure that law enforcement and your insurance company have the serial numbers for your body AND lenses because both are included in the metadata, and smart thieves auction items separately to make detection on eBay and craigslist difficult. Many thieves, though, are not that smart - they offer the items as a bundle (easy to spot in a pawn shop or online or on craigs) or they auction them separately under the same account, making it easy to connect the dots. I am always suspicious when someone places five ads on craigs simultaneously for gear that could be in one listing.

Also be sure to notify your manufacturer of the theft. A lot of stolen electronic devices are recovered by repair facilities, especially in music and video.

Small thefts, especially ones like yours, where the insurance company will deny the claim (stolen in plain sight) or the PD will give it low priority, require you to do much of the work. Good luck with your search.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Camera lenses stolen

I am really sorry to hear that, Marcelo. Were they stolen in the NYC area or were you traveling out of country? Best of luck in recovering them. Did you have any insurance coverage?
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3