Thread: BiF with the E-M1/Metabones adapter/Canon 400 f5.6...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default BiF with the E-M1/Metabones adapter/Canon 400 f5.6...

... and the Cheapee-1 Action Finder!

Details and samples here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....11#post3453611

starting from post #769

otherwise, more from the North Sea here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/421620...57673719653075

just started putting the pictures up. More to come...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: BiF with the E-M1/Metabones adapter/Canon 400 f5.6...

You got it! Very nice.
    Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, Ken. The Osprey was a real treat because we have only seen them twice before, and from a considerable distance. It was a thrill to have one fly by so close, even though it was for just a second. I just pointed and shot. Didn't realize it was an Osprey until after it was long gone. Really a lucky shot.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Daniel, you have single handily doubled the price of a clean used Canon 400 f5.6 lens. I have been watching for a good deal for over a year but too many people have seen your beautiful work!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Sorry 'bout that!
    It is an under rated gem of a lens and is in my opinion the one lens that profits most from the Metabones adapter, especially on the E-M1. I have told them that too, and I feel they should make a little extra effort to optimize their firmware for that lens. But then maybe they already have done what they can. Not a simple task, to be sure. I have no hopes they will be able to crack the C-AF nut due to latency issues in the lens its self and the inherent weakness of the Oly C-AF system, but I am quite happy with what they have been able to accomplish with S-AF. I don't really NEED C-AF. Their newest firmware works less well on the 400/5.6, so they seem to be concentrating on other lenses. No mater as re-loading older firmware versions on the adapter is very easy, and I have kept all the previous versions to be on the safe side.
    Keep your eyes open. Many Canonites are moving from the 400/5.6 to the new 100-400 II zoom, so one will show up sometime. The zoom is a great lens, and I have thought about it a lot, but in the end, I would use it at 400mm 95% of the time, so why carry the extra weight? The AF seems maybe a tad faster. I had a chance to try one for a couple of minutes in Scotland this June, and the AF was quieter and perhaps quicker than on the older 400/5.6, but not enough to be a deal breaker. The zoom is NOT, as some who have sprung for it claim, sharper at 400mm than the prime. Close, quite close, but also not a deal breaker.
    Needless to say, I am VERY curious how the E-M1 Mark II performs. I fear they will have gone over the limit with 20 MP, but one can hope. I would rather have 16 MP with more DR and less noise than 20MP with less DR and more noise. But even IF they can squeeze 20 MP out of it with NO loss in DR and noise performance, those extra 4 MP could come in handy.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dan,

Are there more than one version of the Canon 400/5.6? Is this with the Metabones smart adapter with the pdaf support?

Thanks,

John
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is the one I use
    http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2
    Firmware v2.1 works best. Yes, PDAF.
    There is only one, Canon 400/5.6L USM

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    This is the one I use
    I been away for a while... had I known they would have come out with an adapter that will AF a canon lens, I would never have sold off my copy of that lens.. I had a good one but sold it when I got rid of my 7D..
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey Jim,
    Same thing happened to a number of people. Bad luck, but how are you going to know ahead of time?
    To be honest, I was right on the verge of switching to Nikon/Sigma 150-600 S when the adapter came out. Now I have no further thoughts on that subject, even if the D500 is a stellar camera. It was luck that I even found out about it. Just chanced onto the German Oly forum on the very day I was going to take the plunge, and saw a post by a guy who had tried it out with a 400/5.6. Thought, nope, better give it a try first as I was always happy with the E-M1/400/5.6 combination. For what I want and need, it works a treat, and could only be bettered with the Mark II if in fact the AF performance is even better, among other things.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dan,

When you are not using your action finder are you using a tripod with gimbal head?
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

This is the one I use
    Dan,

That web page says "Accurate only on newer cameras such as Panasonic G7, GX8 and GX80/85" but I understand from your postings that your technique with f/w 2.1 works well w/ the em-1.

Thanks,
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think the E-M1 qualifies as a "newer" (with phase-detect AF) camera.

They can't test every lens/camera combination. That would be a horrendous chore. Their list is anything but complete, in fact, the 400/5.6 wasn't even on the list until now. But the proof is in the pudding, and I like the pudding!

I found issues with v2.4 and have the feeling that their efforts to achieve C-AF were detrimental to the S-AF performance with that lens on the E-M1. I would rather have better S-AF than slightly "better" (basically hopeless) C-AF. * But as I say, they can't test everything. It is always going to be a certain compromise where some things work better on one setup and others on a different setup. The fact that you can revert to an earlier firmware version is a real plus.

* "AF-C and video autofocus may have unsatisfactory AF performance and/or accuracy. This is a limitation inherent in DSLR lenses, which lack the low latency required for making many fine movements in rapid succession during AF-C and video focusing."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Hey Jim,
    Same thing happened to a number of people. Bad luck, but how are you going to know ahead of time?
    To be honest, I was right on the verge of switching to Nikon/Sigma 150-600 S when the adapter came out. Now I have no further thoughts on that subject, even if the D500 is a stellar camera. It was luck that I even found out about it. Just chanced onto the German Oly forum on the very day I was going to take the plunge, and saw a post by a guy who had tried it out with a 400/5.6. Thought, nope, better give it a try first as I was always happy with the E-M1/400/5.6 combination. For what I want and need, it works a treat, and could only be bettered with the Mark II if in fact the AF performance is even better, among other things.
    I just picked up a D500. got it Tuesday and haven't had much of a chance to us it yet.. Im pretty happy with The Nikons AF tracking, but still think about how the 300MM F4 would be with EM1. maybe with the new EM1 it will start catching up.. now they are getting up to the price of the better DSLRs though.. Still have my EM1 and I wish the other mfgs would put a bit more thought in button programability like OLY does.. very few options of setting buttons for what I want them to do
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dan,

It sounds like you use the combo handheld most of the time. Good thing you saved f/w v2.1 as I don't see it on the metabones site.
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score

All hand held.
    I have all versions saved on dropbox should anyone need an earlier version. They might even send you an earlier one if you ask.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dtpj5xs9x...e19u5xdUa?dl=0

Thanks
    Feedback Score

v2.5 is out, and it seems at first glance in poor light to work better than v2.4. So far it seems as good as v2.1. Will have a closer look when the sun comes back out... which might take a while around here.