Thread: General Charles de Gaulle meets Vivitar Macro

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default General Charles de Gaulle meets Vivitar Macro

I found in the back of my cupboard from E-1 times, un-noticed since, my old but absolutely mint Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens. So I wandered down to the beach with it stuck on my E-M1 (OM mount), 2 adapters required.
    The long manual focus action as smooth as silk and very precise, and the 1:1 true macro very versatile.

The sea wall has been over painted with black muck, and through the flaking black are small patches of bright colors from earlier works. I took photos of a few and the results are very nice, as good as anything from a new lens today.

Only later did I notice, by pure chance, an image of Charles de Gaulle! Unhatted.

Nature has a sense of humour.

Cheers,
    Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charles de Gaulle_1.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	540.8 KB 
ID:	50003

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vivitar Macro.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	50004

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: General Charles de Gaulle meets Vivitar Macro

Nice picture and beautiful lens. How is it in a true macro range? You can get infinity focus with it, I presume, though macro lenses are usually pretty weak at infinity.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Nice picture and beautiful lens. How is it in a true macro range? You can get infinity focus with it, I presume, though macro lenses are usually pretty weak at infinity.
    Thanks Daniel.
    It is fine right through including infinity, and in fact could be used as a 55mm walkabout lens. The disadvantage though is the number of times you have to wind it through 360 degrees for focus range. I lost count!
    I tend however to compare it with the ZD50mmf2 for macro use, the only other 'macro' lens I have used. The 50mm has a tiny bit more contrast and sharpness, but for dedicated macro use the Vivitar is way ahead, as it should be.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I had the 50/2 but didn't like it and sold it. Sure, it was sharp and had a lot of contrast, maybe even too much the way some modern do now. I much preferred the more natural but not any less sharp rendition from my Leicaflex Macro Elmarit-R 60/2.8. Plus I hated the focus by wire. I much prefer the slow but precise old fashioned helical focusing. The 50/2 with a focusing rail is for sure a great setup, but for simple macro and stacking, I like the old Leitz.
    I used to use the Leitz a lot for walkaround fun stuff. Here is one of my favorites from early on:

E-620, hand held, 1/30, ISO 200, f-stop unknown, but I think it was 5.6.