Thread: OM-D E-M5 New in Box!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default OM-D E-M5 New in Box!

Hi folks. I've been a Fuji X-Range shooter for the past few years and Nikon full frame prior to that. I've never really paid much attention the the four-thirds world until recently when my uncle offered me a camera that he doesn't use. I wasn't expecting anything too flash at all but it turns out to be an E-M5 mark i with a 14-42mm kit lens. So then I am assuming that the sensor will have been hammered and the actuation count will be through the roof. It has been taking out of the box once! I kid you not when I say it has taken 2 photos. I've told him that it is worth a few bob in its current condition but he wasn't interested and wants me to have it (I'll have to treat him to a few pints and pub lunch). So, I am going to make forays into the world of four-thirds for the first time in my photographic journey. But first thing is first, are there any firmware upgrades for the mark i and are they still available so long after its release. Just wanted to run it past the forum to see what you guys think.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: OM-D E-M5 New in Box!

That was a really nice gift

You will find that the camera itself is well supported and there is firmware updates available. Install the Olympus Viewer software and connect the camera to your PC, and you will be asked to upgrade both camera and lens.

There is a newer version of the software on the net; but I don't remember the link.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Koobec View Post
    Hi folks. I've been a Fuji X-Range shooter for the past few years and used Nikon full frame prior to that. I've never really paid much attention the the four-thirds world until recently when my uncle offered me a camera that he doesn't use. I wasn't expecting anything too flash at all but it turns out to be an E-M5 mark i with a 14-42mm kit lens. So then I am assuming that the sensor will have been hammered and the actuation count will be through the roof. It has been taking out of the box once! I kid you not when I say it has taken 2 photos. I've told him that it is worth a few bob in its current condition but he wasn't interested and wants me to have it (I'll have to treat him to a few pints and pub lunch). So, I am going to make forays into the world of four-thirds for the first time in my photographic journey. But first thing is first, are there any firmware upgrades for the mark i and are they still available so long after its release. Just wanted to run it past the forum to see what you guys think.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    That was a really nice gift

You will find that the camera itself is well supported and there is firmware updates available. Install the Olympus Viewer software and connect the camera to your PC, and you will be asked to upgrade both camera and lens.

There is a newer version of the software on the net; but I don't remember the link.
    Thanks for the pointers tomsi42.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I still use the E-M5, and I have about 45k clicks on it. Its definitely a great camera, and to be honest, the sensor is still current generation. Basically, all the new cameras have extremely similar sensor performance, which is why I have been reluctant to upgrade.

There are no substantial firmware updates, so while you can do it, it won't really change much.

The best thing about the four thirds system is undoubtedly the really small prime lenses, which really drive home the size/weight advantage. Have a look at primes such as the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II