Thread: First shot with my new E-M1 II

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default First shot with my new E-M1 II

click

With my new Canon 400/5.6 (better than my old one that I sold for 50 less than I paid for the brand new one) and 1.4x TC, 100% crop. He was preeeety high up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Bradley For This Useful Post:

Lucian_rider (05-24-2017)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: First shot with my new E-M1 II

You did it Daniel! You will love them both I'm sure.
    How did the Metabones do on the M2 compared with your M1?
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Don,
    You caught me! Was just getting ready to send you a PM
    In short, generally much better, but the Mark I is slightly better focusing in crappy light (where I wouldn't be able to shoot anyway). It behaves a little differently because the Mark II only uses the phase detect system with all cross type sensors with FT and adapted DSLR lenses, so it "feels" a little different. On the Mark I, it would sometimes zip around the target before locking on. With the II it goes straight there but in short steps at the very end. So in the end the II's speed is somewhat faster on static subjects; not blazingly fast, but very accurate. Basically it locks on better. With BiF there is no comparison. It nails birds (organic and metallic) right off the bat,

(A380 at over 10,000 meters.)
    and it can focus on birds flying against a background, something the I never did.

The same can be said for FT lenses. Overall much better. Even the notoriously noisy and slow FT 35/3.5 Macro is faster, quieter, and works in less light than on the Mark I.

click for bigger

The only thing that I don't like is that it is harder to pinpoint focus on something like a bird in the branches. The PD-AF takes areas outside the box also into consideration, and tries to "think" in that it selects what it considers to be a better target. The Mark I would just focus on what is inside the box. I am hoping a firmware update will improve that. It is something a lot of people want in the Mark II. The problem is that FT and adapted DSLR lenses ONLY use the PD-IF.

The customization is just wonderful! For instance the focus limiter: I have set three ranges, 8m-infinity, 15m-infinity, and 10cm-10 meters. So with the Canon I have those three plus the full range when it is off. I have three custom sets where you can set ANYTHING in the camera to apply to the set you want. So if I see something flying, one click on the mode dial from C1, my basic bird set, to C2, my BiF set and I have high burst, all 121 AF points, 800 ISO, AF limiter on (15m-infinity). I point through my action finder and shoot. Even works well with the 2x TC on the 400!

Another 100% crop, 400/5.6 + 1.4x.

My little mFT 75-300 II is a rocket it is so fast and pin point accurate!

I can understand that Olympus is pushing the development (and sales!) of their new Pro lenses, but I am still commited to the Canon and the II is making it much nicer to use. Stil early days yet, but so far I am encouraged.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

It is tempting to go the way you have since the mFT 300/4 costs more than the Canon 400/5.6+metabones adapter.
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The 300/4 costs THREE TIMES what I paid for a brand new 400/5.6! Lens+adapter+1.4x Extender III cost me all together €1400, the 2x Extender another €300. The 300/4 is a GREAT lens without a doubt, but even with the TC it only comes to 420mm. 300mm is just too short for so much of what I like to do.
    Example: (click for larger view)

75-300 II at 300mm f/8

Canon 400/5.6 + 1.4x TC f/9
    Both with the Mark II, hand held at about 1/50.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    The 300/4 costs THREE TIMES what I paid for a brand new 400/5.6! Lens+adapter+1.4x Extender III cost me all together 1400, the 2x Extender another 300. The 300/4 is a GREAT lens without a doubt, but even with the TC it only comes to 420mm. 300mm is just too short for so much of what I like to do.

75-300 II at 300mm f/8

Canon 400/5.6 + 1.4x TC f/9
    Both with the Mark II, hand held at about 1/50.

Dan,

I use the 75-300 II most of the time but the birds/mammals are either too small or too far away most of the time (even with the digital crop). I also use the 75-300 at f/8. I rented the 300/4 for a week and found that it is almost too heavy for me to use. And, like you, found that the eagles were still too far away with the 300+1.4TC.
    John B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hi Daniel. I'm glad to see you made the most of it, and I'm very jealous of the ease of your setup options.
    The fly shot is excellent.
    I will return to you later
    Here, some shots from last weekend a couple of posts down, and at the end.
    Cheers,
    Don

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-em....86623/page-10

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Those look good.
    My setup is still not what one would call a fast action rig!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

LOVE the High-Res feature. Combine it with focus stacking and some real fun is on the docket.

click for large

21 High-Res, 50 MB jpgs. E-M1 Mark II with Leicaflex Macro Elmarit-R 60/2.8 stopped down to f/8. Gray skies, light falling in through the window with no fill in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Bradley For This Useful Post:

Edmunds (03-25-2017)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Another, this time I set the camera to 8fps, silent shutter, and just held the button down (iPhone) while I turned the focus ring by the lever. Works perfectly, much faster, and less chance of changes in the light or subject movement. 24 shots. However, to do that properly one should have a shutter speed faster than the read speed of the sensor, i.e. 1/60 second. These are at 1/20, so there is no doubt a tiny bit of blur in each frame. i didn't do the same setup with single shots, so I can't compare. The absolute best would be High-Res single shots, but I wanted to try this way and see what happens.

Click to enlarge.

Here is my make shift focusing rig.