Thread: Upsizing

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Upsizing

I am putting together a photo book. I have read on Blurb that you must not upsize the photographs as the printed image will not be good. This means that at 300dpi I am restricted to approx 10x8 reproductions.
    Is anyone knowledgable on printing, I am assuming offset printing, or has experience of Blurb and can corroborate this?

Guy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Upsizing

Not been my experience at all.
    I run my final through on1 resize.
    Never had a problem
    When I get to my desktop I'll post some links.

My big beef is no published profiles for their papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Here we go.

This was an anthology book just to mark a waypoint for myself.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invit...aa0f38621d6cdc

It was 12x12 and did a bit of upsizing. Not too happy with the way it was printed, but that was down to me as I didn't have my monitor quite right. This one, which did a lot of downsizing I was much happier with

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invit...aa0f38621d6cdc

I think the thing to remember is that Blurb says don't upsize so the average punter doesn't take an image that will only every print at 2x2 and try to blow it up to 12x12 and then complain about the results.

Hope this helps
    John

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I think that I've read before that even though 300 dpi is the common guideline for offset printing, you could get away with 240 dpi (just as with inkjet printing, 200 is the common guideline, but in real life you can get away with 180 or even 150 in a pinch). So, if your images can muster 240, I think I'd just use them instead of upsizing.

If you do want to do upsizing, I have had good success with an opensource program called SmillaEnlarger:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

I tested it some vs Corel PaintShop Pro's resample ability and got somewhat (but noticeably) better results with SmillaEnlarger. You might give it a try.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks John and Rich.
    I am thinking of landscape 8x10 as the resolution of the em1 fits that size easily at 300-460dpi.
    However I want to print some photographs across 2 pages and the following are a couple of examples where the original will need to be resized:
    1. Original 4608 x 3456 pixels = 10 x 7.5 in @460.8 ppi
    = 20 x 15 in @ 230.4 ppi
    2. Original cropped image 3789 x 1887 pixels = 10.8 x 5.4 in @350 ppi
    = 20 x 10 in @ 189.45 ppi.

So these would need some degree of upsizing, the latter too much?
    I was going to use ps cc as I read that in its latest iteration it works well, but I could go with imageenlarger if you consider that better Rich.
    Thanks again for your input and nice books John.
    Guy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Thanks for the kind words re books

I don't see what you are proposing being a problem at all. It's not like you're upsizing 5 or 10 to 1 like they do in CSI. This is well with in the realm of reason. One idea, that's not too expensive is to do those enlargements and get a local photo printing service like a Walmart, Costco or London Drugs (here in Canada) to print them. LD A 16x20 is 20 Real Canadian Pesos. Better that then spending a ton of dosh on a book and finding out the results blow.
    John

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

That reminds me that you could do a test print at ShortrunPosters.com:

http://www.shortrunposters.com

I got an 18 x 24 print for a lousy $11 (including special coating for $2 and $5 shipping). Results are excellent (yes!). The only wrinkle is that they don't use offset printing; they use a machine called a Xeikon 5000, which is not inkjet and not offset, so it is hard to know. They only warn you to have at least 150 dpi in submitted images, so it is probably more forgiving that offset.

I think you should upsize the 2nd image (showing 189.45 ppi) and pixel-peep the results. I'll bet it will look fine, and you won't have to worry about the results (I think). For one thing, upsizing some isn't nearly as destructive as downsizing. ANYTIME I do a downsize (for the web, emailing, etc), I ALWAYS have to sharpen afterward, whereas whenever I have tried upsizing (seldom), it looks pretty much like the original unless you really push your luck.

I have read that using an even percent - like 200% - is better than fine-tuning to a particular dpi with a funky upsize %. I don't know if this is true. I think I'd do the funky percent because it would freak me out to do even 200%.

I am full of half-baked and semi-accurate suggestions on subjects I have very limited knowledge, so feel free to ask anything...
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:

TomServoCA (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Guy:

One other thing, I highly recommend Michael Freeman's book "The Photographer's Story". It's a very good resource on how to layout and sequence your photos and story.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Photographers-.../dp/024081519X

I'm a big fan of Freeman's writing.
    John

Smugmug

Blog