Thread: Filter systems

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Filter systems

I have the Cokin P system holder and a few filters, the most useful of which are the ND grads.
    I read somewhere that these filters degrade with age, and Lee date stamp theirs recommending that you change them every 3 years.
    I am thinking of renewing them and was also thinking of upgrading to either the Z Pro series or the Lee Seven5.
    From your experience is there any advantage to going for the more expensive filters?
    I believe colour cast is the main problem with cheaper filters but that this can be corrected in PS.

Thanks

Guy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Filter systems

I use the Lee 100mm system but I understand their newer Seven5 system may suit m4/3 better. I'm happy with it. Quality is high which it should be considering the cost of the lens it sits in front of. I mostly use ND grads and a polarizer. Thinking of getting a super stopper for a bit of fun with fuzzy water shots.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Filter systems

I seriously doubt filters become "old". And certainly not 3 years. Smells like a ton of marketing BS.

I've got some Cokin A filters that I bought for $1 (that's another thing to keep in mind - the resale value of these is terrible, and filter makers have to fight the used market somehow), and they've got to be over a decade old.

And Cokin certainly isn't cheap. Not one of the expensive brands, but certainly not cheap like some of the "made for Lee" China no-names floating on ebay.

Ultimately, whether or not you need new filters is something you'll run into yourself. Lenses like the 7-14mm f/2.8 will need big filters. Or if you see a difference in sharpness if you take a picture with/without the filter.

I wouldn't worry about color cast, plenty of expensive filters give you a color cast, just change the temperature in PS.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

BobT (05-07-2017),Future Assassin (05-06-2017),RAH (05-06-2017)