Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Always late to the game

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

    Default Always late to the game

    Wasn't really looking update my E5, maybe to a G85 but picked up a mint used EM1.1 for $600 CDN. Figure for that price I can look over even with no FAS.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 99 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    I loved the E-M1! The Mark II is more versatile, maybe more "professional", and it is even more suited to my needs, but the Mark I is a very capable camera. I would have no problems switching back if I had to.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I loved the E-M1! The Mark II is more versatile, maybe more "professional", and it is even more suited to my needs, but the Mark I is a very capable camera. I would have no problems switching back if I had to.
    Its more camera than I need and the E5 was doing fine (A bit bulky) but for $600 what the hell, thought it was a pretty good deal. No FAS does suck and will see it it'll get annoying not having it. The EVF is a bit weird, not sure if I'm going to like it but I guess one has no choice but to accept EVF. Now if Oly came up with an EM1 style in E1 body I'd be the first in like to get it. Still have my E1 and use it here and there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    I went from the E3 to the E-M1. It was a quantum leap. Actually I love the EVF. It does so much more once you get used to it.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,641
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Assassin View Post
    Its more camera than I need and the E5 was doing fine (A bit bulky) but for $600 what the hell, thought it was a pretty good deal. No FAS does suck and will see it it'll get annoying not having it. The EVF is a bit weird, not sure if I'm going to like it but I guess one has no choice but to accept EVF. Now if Oly came up with an EM1 style in E1 body I'd be the first in like to get it. Still have my E1 and use it here and there.
    My main complaint with Em1.1 viewfinder is you can't see parts of the viewfinder screen when wearing polarized sunglasses A secondary complaint is that like most Olympus cameras, the rubber hood on the viewfinder often comes off. Though I find having the FL-LM2 flash mounted does help preventing the hood from falling off.

    If you have an android or apple smartphone with wifi, you could use the remote app. I find in practice that it is on the slow side, but if you have your camera mounted on a tripod, it can be useful to move the screen to wherever you want. Obviously, it will go through batteries faster on both camera and smartphone.

    In the past, I would also recommend a live view device, such as the Phottix Hector Live View (which now seems to have dropped from the product line). I have a similar device from Yongnuo that looks like it is no longer for sale. However, on the modern cameras, the phone app trumps those:


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meissner For This Useful Post:

    griffljg (05-12-2017)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    My main complaint with Em1.1 viewfinder is you can't see parts of the viewfinder screen when wearing polarized sunglasses
    I have the same problem. The EM1.2 isn't quite as bad, but the issue is still there and it is extremely irritating.
    Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Retired: Olympus E-3, Olympus E-300 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
    Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 II,
    Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 II, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,641
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
    I have the same problem. The EM1.2 isn't quite as bad, but the issue is still there and it is extremely irritating.
    Which is why in my last camera upgrade, I got the Panasonic G85 to complement the E-M1 mark 1. The G85 has an OLED viewfinder, and you can see it without problems with polarized sunglasses in either landscape or portrait orientation. It is a shame that the only Olympus cameras with OLED viewfinders (E-M10 mark II and Pen-F) are not weather sealed.

    Note, most of the Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras use a TFT LCD for the back display. However, these displays have their polarization distortion in portrait orientation, rather than landscape orientation. For me, I tend to use the LCD when the camera is on a tripod or in one of my steampunk cases, and there it is almost always in landscape orientation. My old Olympus TG-2 camera did have an OLED display instead of TFT LCD.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    So after messing around with the EM1 I must say I was totally wrong thinking that the camera body was way too small for my hands when I first handled it when it came out as I hate using my EPl1. Looking at and holding the the E5 after even playing around with the EM1/43 50-200mm I can defiantly get with the weight and size saving. The EFV although has lots of info display is going to take some time to get use to. Just feels so unnatural looking through it.

    The focusing with the 43 12-60 and 50-200 is not bad and since I mostly shoot static objects I'll stick with the legacy glass.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    1,352
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Assassin View Post
    Wasn't really looking update my E5, maybe to a G85 but picked up a mint used EM1.1 for $600 CDN. Figure for that price I can look over even with no FAS.
    I bought my em1 from a friend who was moving to Sony ff. Prior to that I was using the e5. I love the portability and ergonomics of the em1 and added the grip which makes it fit better in my hands and gives more battery life. It is a great camera for hiking.
    i can't say I notice much, if any, difference in image quality between the two, though I might be able to recover more detail in the highlites with the em1.
    the elf is no problem to me as my glasses are not polarised.
    Apart from the 12-40 I use legacy glass and if I have af issues I use mf with focus peaking which works fine.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Always late to the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Future Assassin View Post
    So after messing around with the EM1 I must say I was totally wrong thinking that the camera body was way too small for my hands when I first handled it when it came out as I hate using my EPl1. Looking at and holding the the E5 after even playing around with the EM1/43 50-200mm I can defiantly get with the weight and size saving.
    Of course I love the weight saving but despite not having particularly large hands, I do find the E-M1 not comfortable. My little finger on the right hand invariably slides under the camera and my thumb invariably trips the Fn1 button. I also find I have to be very careful with the toggle pad to avoid pressing OK. Adding the grip helps greatly but then one looses the compactness and it becomes awkward on the tripod. It's not a deal breaker though. I wonder if the MkII is better.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •