Thread: Laowa/Rokinon/Samyang build quality?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Laowa/Rokinon/Samyang build quality?

Anyone used these for a while? What's the QC like for long term usage? I'm wanting to get a UW Rectilinear lens and was interested in the Laowa 15mm and the up coming 7mm but some posted have had issues with the 15mm that cropped up after some time. I haven't seen any user reports from M43 people as I guess the 15mm might be not wide enough but from some info seems like it might be an interesting wide angle marco and cityscape lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Laowa/Rokinon/Samyang build quality?

Laowa and Samyang/Rokinon are two different companies.

Difficult to say what the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 lens will be like, because this is their first m4/3 lens. At $499 a pop I would expect average build quality, pretty much the same as other m4/3 lenses that were 500 bucks on release, and I think early reviews/pictures confirm this. So over long term use I would expect it to show wear.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting one myself.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I can't speak to the Laowa. I have a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye and have been very pleased with it. The build quality is excellent. I also have a Rokinon 85 1.4 which is also a very solid and well made lens. I don't use either of them often, but I've had them both for 2 or 3 years I think and no issues with either.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I have the same Samyang 7.5 fisheye for m43 and it seems to be very well built.

The only "issue" I have is that my copy seems to be different than what I see others saying - on mine, infinity is exactly at the infinity mark. Every recommendation I have seen about the lens says that you need to back away from the infinity mark somewhat, but if I do that even slightly, I get blurry shots. At the infinity mark I get excellent shots. So I have no leeway. But perhaps I shouldn't! I mean, in a perfect world wouldn't infinity be at the infinity mark?!? One could argue that they have done some quality control at the factory and started properly adjusting their lenses. Damned if I know.

As far as 15mm, I don't consider that all that wide. I mean, I greatly prefer the P12-35 lens (and similar O12-40 and new P12-60) over a standard kit lens because I find 12mm much more useful than 14 (forgetting about the better IQ with the more expensive lenses). So 15mm is not going to do much for me. I do use the O17mm 1.8 lens a lot, but that is for a different use - more a general purpose lens. 15mm seems neither fish nor fowl to me. Just MHO, of course.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32