Thread: need advice

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default need advice

I want to change a new camera bags . What is your favorite brand?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: need advice

It kind of depends on how much you want to spend, how much gear you want to lug about, what size bag you want, and whether you want a shoulder bag, backpack, etc.

I personally find it hard to buy a bag that is more expansive than $100-150. With more than $150 I tend to be thinking that I could be buying another lens instead of a bag. So, while they look nice, I tend not to get Peak Designs, Hadley, or Thinktank bags.

My goto bag is the Domke Ruggedwear F-5XZ bag. I've had it for years. I buy newer bags, but ultimately return back to the F-5XZ for shoulder bags. Note, I generally don't put battery grips on the cameras when I use this bag.

I did buy a medium-sized Manfroto backpack (I think it was the MB MP-BP-20BB) for a big vacation to carry all of my gear. The backpack was 17" tall, and I wished I had looked around to find one 16" or 15", because if you have a crowded flight and there is no overhead space, it is problematical to put a 17" backpack on the floor and kick it under the seat ahead of you without it hitting the seat while being inclined down to be under the seat. Similarly, any bag should be no more than 8" deep, so it can fit under the seat.

It is also a truism that if you buy a camera bag larger than the gear you want to carry, that you will eventually fill all of that 'extra' space. And of course if you fill the space, you will have to carry the gear.

I generally recommend going to a large camera store with all of the gear you want to carry, and try packing everything you want to carry into the bag you want to buy and wear it to see how comfortable everything is. Then buy the bag from the store that gave you the extra value of trying it out in person (and if a particular salesperson helped you, buy it from them, so they get the commission).

You might want to look at: http://www.cambags.com/

Last edited by Michael Meissner; 09-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My favourite (I have three) is the National Geographic Earth Explorer Backpack. It's by no mean the perfect camera bag but I don't think there is such a thing. I still live in hope though. I like that it has so many pouches and tough yet soft natural feel material. I can carry it on a plane even with a tripod attached. I admit the National Geographic logo is a bit pretentious but it is a good conversation starter as I deny any pretentions to being anywhere near an NG quality photographer.
    E-M1, 12-40mm PRO, 60mm macro, MMF-3
    E-450, 50-200mm SWD, 25mm f2.8, EC-14
    FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I don't mean to be skeptical about a new poster, but doesn't that OP seem a lot like spam - a very generic question from a person who has never posted before. Hey Zack0, are you a real person?
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32