Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where did everybody go!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: where did everybody go!

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    I still love and get fantastic results from my 4/3rd gear and refuse to take a killing trading it all in again!
    I know what you mean. I am considering getting an em1 mkii, probably used from BH, as a resolution and DR upgrade from my e5, but mainly because of the body size for travelling. I also like the idea of the sensor shift for landscapes.
    My quandary is do I trade in all of my 4/3 gear and start afresh, or just get the adapter and keep the lenses I have? As I have the 14-54 mkii there doesn't seem to be any need to get the mf 12-40 as the size/weight difference is minimal, and I don't tend to shoot at large apertures. But the 7-14 and 50-200 are quite bulky beasts, however I also have the 2x teleconverter which would give additional flexibility on the long end.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

The 50-200 is great on the EM-1 Mk II. I assume the 7-14 is as well.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by MetilHed View Post
    The 50-200 is great on the EM-1 Mk II. I assume the 7-14 is as well.
    As the 4/3 lenses are larger than their m4/3 counterparts I assume they gather more light, and if this is true would it result in a higher DR or more resolving power?
    For example I was wondering if you would see a difference between the 14-35 f/2 and the mf 12-40?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

the only forum where I still frequent is Fredmiranda.com. I use to participate, and was a moderator at Photocamel.com a long while back, but it has gotten to where it is pretty much on life support. It's a bit alarming how forums seem to be dying. Are forums pase, for the young ADD crowd? Too many words to comprehend and deal with?
    To find the answers - question them!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel For This Useful Post:

dh202 (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I think that people are using Facebook instead of forums, nowadays. This is a real shame because FB does NOT work as a forum replacement. Even using its "groups," you cannot easily find old topics or have a topic receive new entries and stay isolated as a topic for later viewing. Everything just seems to get melded into the FB timeline, even within a group.

So FB serves a different purpose (it seems to be trying to imitate a conversation, as far as I can determine), and is not very useful as a forum, IMHO. But that does seem to be the trend.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAH For This Useful Post:

dh202 (12-11-2018),griffljg (12-15-2018)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So. I had to bite on a weather-sealed em5 ii kit. I will be hunting and hoping to find many of you friends on a m43 forum in the future! I learned so much here back in the good old days. This is probably my last post. Thanks to Tony and Edmund and all who kept this site so awesome! ��

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Still shooting with the E-5 and a full complement of SHG lenses. However, my current travel camera and every day shooter has tended to be a Stylus 1s, which is really an amazing little camera. Really, really like that it has the later version of Truepic (versus the E-5) with shadow/highlight control activated in Viewer3. BTW, the new Olympus Workspace developer really should be termed a beta version, as I simply cannot get the same results in it as I can in Viewer3 with my older gear (at least yet - maybe it's user error).

I did buy a used EM-1.1 for my better half last fall from KEH for around US$600 in LN+ condition because she wanted something light. I can't say I like it (at all), so it hasn't gotten much use on my end. However, I just may have to spring for the EM-1X as it likely fits my style of shooting with the added grip and all. Obviously, weight is not a huge consideration, and the only m4/3 lens I am remotely interested in purchasing is the new 150-400mm. However I am not sure I can get myself convinced to buy an f4.5 lens for the likely big bucks they want though. This lens absolutely should have been an f4 to be considered a true pro lens.

In terms of forums, I read a lot of them, but the only forum on which I post currently is the luminous-landscape printer forum. Lots of good info to go along with my new HP z3200 44", which I bought last fall from Adorama for a stunning clearout price of $2,500.00. Sweet to be back printing again.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Leigh, Good to hear from you!
    I'm in the same boat! Except I love my EM-1.1 with grip!I totally skipped the mk2. I have the 12-40 and 40-150 m/4/3 Pros for "travel" and quick grab shots around the house, of the cats mostly;-) I forced myself to go to the area "Unveiling" of the EM-1X. I have "normal sized hands" and it was very comfortable to handle especially with the 40-150 Pro! I still am very pleased with my entire 4/3rds line up for what I do I had finally purchased A Very Good Deal!, on a ED300 F2.8 late last year to complete all SHG's, and have had a couple of sessions with it now and am pleased with the results for now.I had beeen using my E-3 and 14-35 SWD for art reproduction for many years now in my business and have absolutely no problems! I don't plan on doing BIF or fast action sports ,and have to use all the footed SHG's braced or on a Tripod as I'm getting shaky in my old age. I no longer use some of the 4/3rds system stuff I purchased.(macro stuff) etc , and will trade some in towards the new 1X body It just kills me to take a licking on all the fabulous SHG's ,but the truth is, My stuff is all like Brand New, I got bad GAS being on the forums and internet in general ,and at one time could afford it! I never had the chance use much of the gear very much at all, (lenses), and it's no longer worth holding on to if I can get decent trades for m4/3 gear and scale down my "kit".? I don't give a hoot about all the 1X critics, Olympus make fabulous products. the 1X is cutting edge on tech! it is a good piece of equipment if it suits your shooting style.

I meant to add I have yet to even try any of the SHG's on the EM-1 body with the MMF-3 adapter but the larger body with the built in grip, is much more suited for the big glass. According to the Oly techs the SHG's do focus well on the 1X but remember the old focus motors are still limited so ... I did not get to try any :-( There are lots of people that have gone to the launch and have ...

BTW I have been Custom printing Wide Format at my business since 2010 with an Epson 7900 and now dead ;-( 9890. I have no problems printing big from Oly files :-)

David
    Last edited by dh202; 02-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the reply, David. I see your entries from time to time around the various forums and always find I can rely on your well thought out opinions.

I have a ton of 4/3 gear kicking around including the various flash and macro set-ups I figure a lot of it can wait for retirement when I finally have time to play around. However, since I'm on the Freedon95 plan, that may be never

Leigh
    zippski

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zippski For This Useful Post:

dh202 (02-18-2019)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Iím still here, the last member I think.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Not quite.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hello everyone. I have not been on the forum in over 2 years because I suffered a major stroke in 2017 that left me disabled. After a lot of therapy I can now walk again, but I'm still not able to get out and do much photography. Anyway, I've re-discovered this forum. Even if I don't post much, I will now be stopping by regularly to read everyone's posts. My best wishes to everybody.
    Steven R.
    Tampa Florida
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Anyway you want to slice the loaf there still aren’t too many of the old timers around. The decline started back when tspore left.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Good to see some of us are still kickin ;-)
    I purchased a E-M1X Body and love it with my SHG's. will selling be some of my 4/3rds gear soon ;-)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dh202 For This Useful Post:

laingjd (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    Good to see some of us are still kickin ;-)
    I purchased a E-M1X Body and love it with my SHG's. will selling be some of my 4/3rds gear soon ;-)
    Cool, David. Always ready to listen to some updating info from a trusted old timer like me. Let us know how the E-M1X works with the SHGs so I can get a bit more amped about buying one myself.

For now, I can't bring myself to downgrade my great SHG glass to F4 or less. Plus, I've never heard good stuff about the bokeh from the newer m4/3 telephotos, unless that user has never used the real SHG glass and has no frame of reference. The stuff I see posted from the u300 F4 and especially the u40-150 has even nastier bokeh than the busy funky stuff from the 50-200, and that is saying a lot.

Leigh
    zippski